Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Would you haul a bike with a VW ?

4391 Views 41 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  zooom
It may be car replacement time. Thinking about:

(a year or 2 old)

VW Passat
VW GTI

I'd like a mid size SUV but man the gas mileage sucks.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just curious. I thought about those cars when I was considering a car replacement last time. Other than being unreliable like most VW's they are nice. :) I'd go for the VR6 motor.

· Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I drive an '01 Passat 2.8 4mo that is rated for about a 1600 lb tow capacity. If you are going to tow definitely get the V6, as VW doesn't recommend towing with the 4 cylinder turbos.

FWI, I think my Passat is a great car. I've got almost 100K on it with no major issues at all.
Best,
Tony

· Registered
1,255 Posts
As is my standard response to these kind of things, check out ePinions.com for user reviews.

I did a lot of searching on Passat when shopping around for an ex-hen who needed to get rid of her 1990 BMW 525 that she trashed [to her credit, she had it for about 10 years, down in L.A.].

I like German cars [had em all, BMW, Mercedes, Audi] and my recent research indicated that the Passat was great value, quality and styling.

As to towing, keep in mind the manufacturer's recommendations and other factors. While a manual may say you can tow, some recommendations are set by legal departments as much as by engineering departments.

From what I know, there are many things that affect safe towing capacity, regardless of the vehicle. These include the weight and length of the tow vehicle, its horsepower, its rear-end gearing, how it has been outfitted, such as heavy duty flasher, engine oil and trans fluid coolers, and radiator, rear springs, whether or not the trailer has brakes, and the frame [whether the vehicle is traditional frame or unibody construction]. My point is, while a vehicle manual may state towing capabilities, the car may not be ideal for such, albeit I suspect many cars can tow a small cycle trailer.

Here is a "Duc-MS" style forum for Passat:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=6

http://www.epinions.com/2004_Volkswagen_Passat_1/display_~reviews

http://www.epinions.com/auto_Make-2003_Volkswagen_Passat_Sedan/display_~reviews

· Registered
115 Posts
Your looking at this all wrong you shouldent be asking "would you hull your bike with this" but "would you drive this with 3 supermodels or a fat chick in the back seat" if the answer is yes then you can hull your bike. Afterall, its a lot more aerodynamic than the fat chick.

P.S. I just spent my nonpoliticaly correct chovanist pig allotment for the year! whoot!

· Registered
106 Posts
re: tow a bike with a vw

I do tow a bike with a VW. I have a silver 2003 GTI 1.8t 5 speed. Attached is a Hidden Hitch Class 1 rated at towing up to 2000lbs. and 200lb. tongue weight. It is flat black and looks very clean under the black rear apron. They(Hidden Hitch) do NOT recommend it for the VR6. Apparently a fit issue. I have a Kendon folding stand up trailer for a single bike and have towed a Ducati ST2 as well as a Yamaha FZ6 (each on separate occasions, not together) with absolutely no problem at speeds above 70mph. I have no hesitations using this set up. I love the GTI. 86,000 miles in 3 years. No problems. Do all the maintenance myself (Bentley manual) though took it in for an airbag light once under warranty. Great for holding lots of stuff easily and pulls strong with little turbo lag. It's the vehicle I take most and I have 2 other german "garage queens" to consider. Eats up the highway miles but tossable. Great blend of utilitarian and fun. Fold the rear seats down and throw in a refrigerator.

Attachments

· Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CKvBP said:
Your looking at this all wrong you shouldent be asking "would you hull your bike with this" but "would you drive this with 3 supermodels or a fat chick in the back seat" if the answer is yes then you can hull your bike. Afterall, its a lot more aerodynamic than the fat chick.

P.S. I just spent my nonpoliticaly correct chovanist pig allotment for the year! whoot!

Actually weight inside the vehicle is not the same as towing weight. When you tow I would think you are putting more stress on the frame than when people are inside.

· Registered
395 Posts
I just dumped my Jeep Cherokee for a Subaru Forrester.
Best move I ever made, rides much better, AWD and it gets 30MPG.
Not as great a towing capacity as the Jeep but it's got all I'll ever need.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
well.....I guess I am kinda old school...but I am using my 83 VW Rabbit Pick-Up (Caddy) to haul my bike with its old naturally aspirated 8valve 1.8 liter motor of no-power origion....maybe I'll get to getting a buddy of mine to help me out by doing the bruntwork of getting a 2.0 16 valve engine swap into it and maybe even put a 1.8 head on that 2.0 block to get a few more bits of torque wound up into the whole dealio.....but probably not before the April track day as of this point the way it all looks......but of the vehicles mentioned that you are interested in....well....I'd go for the Passat with the V6....4-Motion would be nice but not necessary...especially for the extra expendature of gas....but do yourself a favor and find a manual trans car!......as far as the GTI's are concerned...with some of the hitches for the MK4 chassis....the reason why they often are not available for the VR6's is because of the axle beam and the integrated sway bar that is larger and makes for less room in fitment up to the chassis....also...some GTI's have the extra lower valance like that from a 337 Edition or Anniversery Driver Edition as it were which makes it just a touch harder to do a hitch and then impossible if you have an R32 due to lowered valance and dual outlet exhaust that snakes its way out and through the Haldex rear end......so in short...buy the Passat!...make sure you are all over taking care of the timing belt at its appointed intervals or you'll be paying dearly for a new top half of the motor to the tune of 6-8 grand!.....and make sure you have the valve cover gaskets and timing chain tensioner gaskets changed every 30-40K or the chain tensioner gaskets will leak on the front of the driver side head and on the rear of the passenger head leaving it to be very messy and in the long run very costly!....you want anymore of my specific knowledge when it comes down to it....feel free to ask!....oh and BTW....VW's when it comes to the major maintenances are generally speaking not cheap....but you get alot for your money and they are generally solid vehicles overall!

· Registered
1,204 Posts
MV_999R said:
And just how do you know that, you bad taste person?
Have you seen the 84 Golf Gti?

bemikevel :D
I've owned 3 GTI's, a Golf, a Scirocco, and currently have a Passat Wagon ... At nearly every moment of the last 20 years, I've had a VW ... I missed the '84 Golf GTi by one year though. They'll all tow anything, unless its too heavy :D

· Registered
1,687 Posts
grendels_arm said:
Wow even my car doesn't need all that stuff that often. Timing belt every 60K and check tension but that's it.
your car, no offense , is not so high in the evolutionary chain either...and is now problematic hence why you are considering replacing it!!!....I am just giving you the benefit of the usual problems and what to look for and why....the timing belts and tensioners should be replaced as a set at about every 60K....I think 60K is pretty much the industry wide standard for timing belt intervals....some folks have a tendancy to want to push the limits on things....that philosophy can cost you big time with the newer multi valve interference motors!.....that is parts of the possible negative for the gains in power and performance and cleanlyness of emissions through technology!!!

· Super Moderator
8,335 Posts
I absolutly LOVE my BMW.

But trying to get a BMW Diesel in the US might be difficult. I´m not even sure they sell them there.

I´d take a look at a TDi VW. Great towing power and real easy on the wallet when it comes to gas, getting up to 50 MPG in a big car is nice.

But the VR6 engine is VERY nice. I had a Corrado VR6 for a short while and that car was nice. But it can´t hold a candle to a BMW 328 in performance.

· Registered
457 Posts
What about the Touareg? 17/23 city/Highway, 7,700 lbs. towing capacity. I don't own one, but next to a type 1 (between 38 and 51 ;) ), that would be my choice.
Good to see that you are staying away from "the fast and the furious".:think:

jus' a thought.

· Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,397 Posts
2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T

We are getting ready to do just that. My wife has a hitch on order for her 2004 Jetta GLS with 1.8T and automatic, and then she'll pick up a 5x8 or 5x10 trailer with the mesh flooring. She intends to haul her 1994 GSXR-750 and then either my 748 or my ST2. She's wanting to do several weekend rides in areas that she's never been to before, so we'll have a distance to go to find those areas.

· Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,397 Posts
bebopdontstop said:
Do yourself a favor. BUY A HONDA!!
My Honda Civic isn't rated and is not recommended to tow anything. It's still running strong at 206,000+ miles, though (still on the original clutch, too).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.