Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local dealer is offering a Demo bike w/less than 50 miles. I would only get the balance of the 2 year warranty, which started when the dealer took delivery of the bike (don't know exactly what the balance of the warranty presently is at this time, but can find out).

Haven't begun any discussions of new vs. Demo pricing yet.

Buy new or get Demo bike with less than 50 miles?

What would you do, and why?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Not "took delivery" exactly. The dealer has to specify an "in-service" date. It could be crated up or parked in his back room for months before putting into demo service. Anyway, how long could it have been, with only 50 miles on it?

Make sure the bike hasn't been repaired. It is not unusual for demos to get dinged up and be repaired. Repairs can hide defects. Otherwise, 50 miles is trivial if you are getting any discount at all. If people took it out and ran the piss out of it, it probably got a better break in than an owner following the ridiculous owner's manual instructions for break-in.

·
Registered
249 Posts
When I pulled this post up my initial answer was no way! I have seen first hand how demo bikes are treated. But when I think about it my pristine 748 had 10,000 miles on her prior to me and I'd be willing to bet the P/O had to find out what she had so all used bikes are pretty much demo bikes! So yes if it's a big enough discount buy it and fight for a full 2 year warranty.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Not "took delivery" exactly. The dealer has to specify an "in-service" date. It could be crated up or parked in his back room for months before putting into demo service. Anyway, how long could it have been, with only 50 miles on it?

Make sure the bike hasn't been repaired. It is not unusual for demos to get dinged up and be repaired. Repairs can hide defects. Otherwise, 50 miles is trivial if you are getting any discount at all. If people took it out and ran the piss out of it, it probably got a better break in than an owner following the ridiculous owner's manual instructions for break-in.
Iv'e repaired many, many demo bikes for dealers. H.D. ducati, MV, pretty much all of them. Also many pre-deliverd bikes as well. You really don't and won't know, when its done properly. Do you know how many "never painted bike panels I see? Sometimes Iv'e seen panels with 2-3 resprays from the factory. Even panels color changed from factory. So even your "new" bike could be not so new.:)

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
As always it depends on the details.

1. price = discounts make it worth doing
2. remaining warranty.

I bought my 851 as a factory discount as it was a magazine test bike, My dealer often bought these bikes from Ducati as he could sell the never registered bikes for a pretty good discount and get more people on them. (IIRC I saved about $2000 in 1993).

You might be able to get them to throw in an extended warranty as part of the deal, if not then I would expect the price savings do be lower than you should be able to get normally. I hate to say it but given how the bikes are built now the warranty is worth having. Be sure any recalls/updates are done.

Look the bike over very carefully and ask any questions now. I would not care if it was a repaint as long as it is done well, in the shop you could always tell a repaint because it was usually nicer than oem. Be more concerned with fit and function of everything including body fit. comare it to new bikes as you might be expecting better than new if you look too close.

We had a multistrada demo when they first came out with the 1000 and needed to force people to ride it because most thought it ugly and nothing interesting. Well many were surprised and we sold plenty because of how good the bike was , our demo racked up the miles pretty quickly and at a certain mileage it was no longer allowed to be a demo (1000 IIRC). Some felt it was a bait and switch con when they rode their new Multi after our demo because the demo felt smoother and more powerful plus shifting was much lighter. Yes everyone rode the demo like they stole it and it was broken in quickly, a zero mile bike will get there but I have seen bikes not break in fully until 10,000 miles if babied. 50 miles could be all on the race track or Dyno and that bike is still new to my mind it has just began its life.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Conventional wisdom would tell you to run (not walk) from a demo bike, so let me tell you what I did.

I bought a 2yr old demo bike w/5k miles.

It was one of the very 1st Multi 1200 in SoCal, the previous owner bought it from Del Amo. Being the first Multi 1200 I'm sure every jackass at the dealer had a spin on it, does it bother me?--No. It was 2yrs old w/1yr warranty left. I picked it up for a song b/c everyone is afraid of used bikes and dealer demo's.

To date it's been one of the most reliable Multi's out there. 88k miles and going strong. Still lifts the front in 3rd gear. Best money I've spent, and HECK YES I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN.

If buying from the dealer, get an extended warranty at dealer cost. Retail is approx $900.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I bought my 2013 MTS GT as a Demo with about 50 miles on it. Bike was driven to be put on display for Bike Week in Daytona. Demo bike was $18,900 OTD vs $22,000 MSRP for a "new" one at my local dealer. I lost about 2 months worth of warranty. It worked out well for me.

t_bare

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I bought my 999 as a dealer demo in 2005 (2003 MY). 1100 miles with Termi half system, first service done. Full 2 year warranty and it never missed a beat in the five years I owned, nor the past year when I bought the same bike again.

And it was $5000 off retail when I bought it originally.

Would not hesitate to do it again.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the 2016 Demo for a test ride. My only complaint was that with the sun shining I could not see the digital screen, at all. If I wanted to squint to get my RPM reading, I would have to divert my attention from the road longer than what would be considered safe. Is this how they all are? Furthermore, I thought this was a full color display? All I saw was a bunch of faded, unrecognizable data. Most importantly, with this screen issue be corrected in 2018, or is this something people just accept and live with?

Prices are as follows:

2016 1200R Demo w/50 miles: $16,500. This bike only comes with 7 months remaining on the 2 year warranty.

New 2017 1200R: $17,931. Full 2 year warranty.

I've heard the 2018 R's are getting styled to look 'normal', like the Base & S models? I actually prefer the striping on the current R's. I'm new to Ducati, so I apologize for not being well versed on the features. How important is cornering ABS & anti-wheelie? Think the 2018's will get a new screen, one you can actually see?

Given the above pricing, what would you suggest doing?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
That's why I looove analogy instruments. Information overload on the video game clusters. Speedo for town, shift light for twisties. Learn this an life will be bliss:)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Has the bike been outside everyday for 1 year and 5 months? Sounds like the display is sun damaged, I would want more than about $1500 off retail, more like twice that. I'd expect you could do better.

t_bare

Reactions: ducvet

·
Registered
146 Posts
Check the display brightness in settings. A demo is only as good as the dealer's willingness to negotiate. It should be 10% off the top automatically and another 5-10% for sitting in storage through nearly 2 ridding seasons. If they won't budge on price get concessions: free 600 mile service, parts at cost, and the extended warranty. If you can wait until winter you can get a better edge on price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts