Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 monster and a friend of mine has 01 SS rims. Would the ss rims work on my monster. he lives a few hours away so i can;t see them to make a decision.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Fairly sure the larger spindle wheel will fit if you change the bearings and central spacer to suit the smaller spindle?

As above rear will fit OK. My M900 has a rear wheel from a DS1000 SS although again rear spindles maybe 25mm rather than 17mm in some later bikes so may need bearings/spacer changing.

I would advise fitting new bearings to any used wheels as a matter of course anyway, it's not like they're expensive and you never know what they've been through.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
all the ssie have 25mm front axle. the ssie started in 1998 in most of the world and possibly 99 in the usa.

carby ss have 17mm front axle until 93 sometime, then 20mm. 94 888 also have 20mm front axle.

the problem with using a later wheel is that the bearings are all different widths, so the wheels are machined differently to take those widths. if you tried using a 25mm axle wheel with 20mm bearings the 20mm bearings are 2mm wider and so the axle won't go in as far and the speedo drive will offset the wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts