Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

would it be wrong to paint an SPS yellow?

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Purspeed 
#1 ·
just curious. would it be total sacriledge to do so? does it destroy the value?

#2 ·
ANY repaint decreases value......I'd leave the stock plastics alone and store them away, and if you want yellow, buy another set of plastics.......I'd make it a "sleeper" and buy 748 plastics for it. Nothing like having a wolf like that dressed in sheep's clothing. :)

#3 ·
I had a friend that did that..

He had a 996SPS with yellow 748SPS fairings and tank. He blew past a VTR owner on the track and after the pit´ed, the guy couldn´t believe his eyes.

Had he just taken a step forward and looked at the tope yoke, he would have seen that it was a 996SPS..

But anyway....................................................................Yellow is nice :D
....................................................................................see below

#4 ·
Desmo_Demon said:
ANY repaint decreases value......I'd leave the stock plastics alone and store them away, and if you want yellow, buy another set of plastics.......I'd make it a "sleeper" and buy 748 plastics for it. Nothing like having a wolf like that dressed in sheep's clothing. :)
Not only that but painting it yellow will knock 10mph off the top speed......... ;)

#6 ·
YELLOW ?! (Quick call the priest)

Yes, my son. He says....turning around to reveal his Ducati collar and basis of authority on all things two wheeled and Bolognese.

Painting any Ducati in the color of the lemon, of the baby diaper contents, of the jaundice, of the middle light on the traffic signal, of a KR Yamaha., This is a cardinal sin and you will pay dearly for doing it.

Red is the true and holy color of a real Ducati. The color of passion and excitement and danger. And real faith.

(Turning his collar around.) Do anything that you want with it. It's your property.

#10 ·
i think i found a good deal on a well maintained SPS. not that it really means that much to me.

it's just a good price and he has receipts and the maintenace is up to date.

my big hang up is that it's not yellow. and it's not a biposto either. i figure both those things can be fixed though.

is there a huge difference between a regular 996 and a SPS? other than the fact that it's a limited production bike... i know it has ohlins front and rear, different cams, lighter frame, some carbon fiber, etc....

is it world's difference from a regular 996?

#11 ·
Definitely keep the stock plastics and get a spare yellow set if you really want yellow.

Turning it into a biposto is easy too... and if you're looking to get rid of the mono rear... then let me know. I could use your subframe.

I'm trying to convert my 916 back to a mono.... the previous owner turned it into a biposto.

#12 ·
bevel450 said:
Yes, my son. He says....turning around to reveal his Ducati collar and basis of authority on all things two wheeled and Bolognese.

Painting any Ducati in the color of the lemon, of the baby diaper contents, of the jaundice, of the middle light on the traffic signal, of a KR Yamaha., This is a cardinal sin and you will pay dearly for doing it.

Red is the true and holy color of a real Ducati. The color of passion and excitement and danger. And real faith.

(Turning his collar around.) Do anything that you want with it. It's your property.

Wow!

+1 with desmo demon...i'd buy a set of stock yellow plastics or sharkskinz. put the good stuff away for re-sale.

#13 ·
deputydog95 said:
i think i found a good deal on a well maintained SPS. not that it really means that much to me.

it's just a good price and he has receipts and the maintenace is up to date.

my big hang up is that it's not yellow. and it's not a biposto either. i figure both those things can be fixed though.

is there a huge difference between a regular 996 and a SPS? other than the fact that it's a limited production bike... i know it has ohlins front and rear, different cams, lighter frame, some carbon fiber, etc....

is it world's difference from a regular 996?

Yeah, I would say the world. The 996SPS produces 123HP, the 996 112HP. 996SPS was built for strength and power, peaky power great for the track. Besides the carbon bits (CF airbox $600+-)the Marchesini 5 spokes with adjustable steering head (although I think the S model 996 had that). Other things mentioned: longer stroke, Pankl Titanium Rods, P8 big brain computor, revised cams, 50mm bore exhaust and of course Ohlins front and back. Sounds like you stumbled onto a nice example at a good price, I have two words for you and it ain't lets dance: "Buy It!" However, beware of the rockers. For example, there is a 12K or so miles SPS for $13K on Ebay. Nice bike. The owner went above and beyond the call of duty and had all the rockers replaced with Megacycle rockers through Nichols Mfg. Most, like me would only do the bad and suspicious ones, like the openers. This guy shelled out some dough and did them all. Doing a few openers goes with the territory with certain Ducati superbikes.

#14 ·
John said:
Yeah, I would say the world. The 996SPS produces 123HP, the 996 112HP. 996SPS was built for strength and power, peaky power great for the track. Besides the carbon bits (CF airbox $600+-)the Marchesini 5 spokes with adjustable steering head (although I think the S model 996 had that). Other things mentioned: longer stroke, Pankl Titanium Rods, P8 big brain computor, revised cams, 50mm bore exhaust and of course Ohlins front and back. Sounds like you stumbled onto a nice example at a good price, I have two words for you and it ain't lets dance: "Buy It!" However, beware of the rockers. For example, there is a 12K or so miles SPS for $13K on Ebay. Nice bike. The owner went above and beyond the call of duty and had all the rockers replaced with Megacycle rockers through Nichols Mfg. Most, like me would only do the bad and suspicious ones, like the openers. This guy shelled out some dough and did them all. Doing a few openers goes with the territory with certain Ducati superbikes.
this is the same bike i have been talking about. i have been corresponding with him via email. we're supposed to talk tonight. he's agree to take it to his local ducati for an inspection. he already told me what his reserve is, so i may shoot for that if he will go for it.

#15 ·
If the reserve is way below his buy it now price, thats one thing. In view of your statement the SPS doesn't mean that much to you, why would you spend that much dough when it sounds like a standard 996 would do? Sounds like the gentleman owner has a parity or close enough to a standard 996 price. So if thats the case you have SPS icing on the cake!

I would love to see what that baby could do on the track.

I saw a 916SPS for sale at ProItalia in the LA area last year for around $11.9K. Considering the status of the bike and it being sold through a dealer, I would have thought the bike would have cost more. The 916SPS had the 996 motor. On the other hand, close inspection revealed a very used bike in many respects. Frankly, I thought it was kind of a shame that the bike did not appear to be well taken care of, at least cosmetically.

#16 ·
John said:
If the reserve is way below his buy it now price, thats one thing. In view of your statement the SPS doesn't mean that much to you, why would you spend that much dough when it sounds like a standard 996 would do? Sounds like the gentleman owner has a parity or close enough to a standard 996 price. So if thats the case you have SPS icing on the cake!

I would love to see what that baby could do on the track.
the reserve is quite a bit lower than his buy it now price and considering that there just aren't many clean, well maintained, documented examples around, this might be a good deal.

#17 ·
If you buy it, I'm anxious to hear what you have to say about it.

#18 ·
The other day I was visiting the Ducati dealer. A guy came by who had painted his 996 emerald green and gold. (He even had a matching helmet.) :eek: It looked like crap but he was proud of it!

Keep the stock plastic and paint a spare set.

#20 ·
geospencer said:
The other day I was visiting the Ducati dealer. A guy came by who had painted his 996 emerald green and gold. (He even had a matching helmet.) :eek: It looked like crap but he was proud of it!

Keep the stock plastic and paint a spare set.
If you can afford the SPS, you can afford an additional set of plastics. This would be the best decision from an investment standpoint and emotional one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.