Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone ~ i'm thinking about increasing my break power ~

So I came up with this BREMBO "GP" Billet Radial Brake~

My question is ~ would I be able to install this ting on a 03 999S?

Also would this thing work with stock break reservoir ?

Would I be able to gain a big difference from my stock break ?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Big difference? Depends on your circumstances. It definitley improved mine, but going to the 4 pad calipers made a greater improvement.

You will need another reservoir (and tubing). Depending on the application, you may want horizontal tabs vs vertical, and you might mount them like this:

Forgot--as long as you are reasonably competent with a wrench, they are easy to install and bleed. Just have to buy a little clear tubing to fit over the bleed nipples. Another nice thing is that after the initial setup, "maintenance" bleeding is easier since there is a fitting on the master cylinder (top of the system, where any air bubbles are going to settle).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow ~~~~ did you buy clutch ??????????? I didnt know they also come

in a clutch as well ~ what does Brembo clutch do ? I know break makes it

better stopping power ~ does it make clutch lever lighter????????

any way I just want strong stopping power with out pulling the break leaver

too much ~ thats the reason why I am considering it . I think 999S already

comes with 4pads ~~~ maybe not ~ In this case would you recommend

4pad calipers rather than changing master cylinder with 2pad caliper ~?????

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
The clutch lever helped, but I'm not gonna lie--it was definitely a cosmetic consideration as well, to match the brake mc.

I think you're right--the 999S already comes with the 4 pad calipers. In which case, your options are better pads, full floating/cast iron discs, or very expensive alternative calipers.

Also, do not underestimate the effects of servicing your brakes. New fluid, a completely bled system, and removing any glazing from the pads can make a big difference.

I assume you can tell the difference between 4 pad and just 4 piston calipers, but to help you, 4 pads have 2 pins and should look like this:

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
The brake master is a great investment.
The clutch master is not so great unless you change the slave cylinder as well.
Without the slave cylinder, the clutch pull will actually get heavier, but with a slave cylinder, it will get lighter and slightly shorter (assuming you get the 28.5mm).

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
If you don't have enough breaking power in the brembo 4 pad front brakes it makes me wonder if your current brake system had air or pads were replaced with some off brand low quality solution. With two fingers you should be able to send your self right over the bars. You checked your systems, did a complete bleed, have good pads and are still not happy ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey nysid I bought the rb3 off you in australia I have just done this mod to both clutch and brakes I will post pics on tuesday for you(monday your time) they fit really well the brakes are improved and the clutch is cosmetic but feels better on hot days (39 C here in november!! cant wait for summer )

·
Registered
537 Posts
hallo,

i also have a brembo radial brake and clutch pump on my SS it was an improvement indeed.
but i don't think you wheel feel a big diffrence on your 999,isn't that radial al ready?

henk!!!

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
I would try different pads before changing the pump. That's what I did on my ST2 and SS. EBC HH sintered pads are great, as are Ferodo CP 211.

My 999R has the same pump as your 999S, and I have no problems with it.

Tom

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
The 999 has superb brakes......they are 4-pad calipers. It would be a waste of $$ to do the change over you speak of. You're going to have to relocate the resevoirs, etc......and after spending all the $$$ you might not be thrilled w/ the results.....a great mod that I did a while ago was change the front disks to Brembo gold carrier superbike disks. Their lighter and fully floating and will improve your braking, did mine. I just replaced all my pads w/ Ferodo's
sinter grip street pads and that alone made a huge difference in stopping power. Ferodo make the pads for Brembo brakes-FYI.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The clutch lever helped, but I'm not gonna lie--it was definitely a cosmetic consideration as well, to match the brake mc.

I think you're right--the 999S already comes with the 4 pad calipers. In which case, your options are better pads, full floating/cast iron discs, or very expensive alternative calipers.

Also, do not underestimate the effects of servicing your brakes. New fluid, a completely bled system, and removing any glazing from the pads can make a big difference.

I assume you can tell the difference between 4 pad and just 4 piston calipers, but to help you, 4 pads have 2 pins and should look like this:

Nice bolts dude.

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Nice bolts dude.
+1 on the bolts, I assume they are Ti? I was just looking at Tastynuts products last night. I'm addicted to titanium, but just like the real drug, they ain't cheap. However, I think I'm going to go with the titanium caliper mounting bolts when my Beringer calipers come in for my 999R.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Yeah, they're Ti. I was having a tough time finding the right stuff in stainless anyway, so I said screw it--they were about $8 each.

·
Registered
14 Posts
you are quite right henk they are radial already but they do have a nicer feel at the lever also the insurance company bought them not me so smiles all round

·
Registered
345 Posts
A little thread-jack while we're on the topic of brakes: anyone have experience with Vesrah SRJL pads? It's time to swap out my pads and my track club has them for a reasonable price.

ZDM, your suggestion about the rotors has got me thinking...

Winter is such a money-pit. Too much time thinking about the bike but not riding.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We offer these from Discacciati Brake Systems (DBS)
Look Here

Enrico Discacciati used to be one of the engineers over at Brembo
He works primariy with racers in Europe.

DMS members get a discounts

Cheers
JC
JC,
Do you stock these MC's and what are the prices? PM me? Thanks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey nysid I bought the rb3 off you in australia I have just done this mod to both clutch and brakes I will post pics on tuesday for you(monday your time) they fit really well the brakes are improved and the clutch is cosmetic but feels better on hot days (39 C here in november!! cant wait for summer )
hey ~man ~~ wow ~!! a lot of investments ~~ did the rapid bike installed ok? I just saw your reply now ~~~ Post some photos !!! and happy new year ~

1 - 19 of 19 Posts