Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's an 02 Monster 620 for sale near me, but the owner has "lost" the key. It seems a bit shady because they have "lost" the title as well, but they do provide the VIN, so who knows the real story.

The owner claims that the Key is encoded with a chip and there's no way to get a new key made. Is this true? I have an 01 750SS and if my key has a chip I sure don't see it. If it does in fact have a chip, is it true that there's no way to get a new key? And if that's true, how much of the bike needs to be replaced to get it running again? Ignition? ECU?

If the lack of a key isn't a potential big deal I'll pay for carfax and run the VIN to ensure the thing isn't stolen before I go look at it. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hope you guys don't mind me replying to my own post...

So after some googling I've learned about the immobilizer system and the dreaded "red" key (or lack thereof). From what I've read, if your bike is in immobilizer mode, you can't start it unless you have the red key or the key card with the codes. However, if the bike hasn't been immobilized, is it theoretically possible to get a new black key made at the dealer?

I found the following in a post at ducatimonster.org as far as replacement part costs. Does this sound accurate?

If you want to buy the bits from your Ducati dealer that you’ll need to get a new red key, you’ll need a new gauge cluster - $220; ECU - $249; ignition/keys - $249.​

·
Registered
560 Posts
Wow, those are great prices. The same set up for my 749 is about 1200 for the gauge, 1000 for a virgin ecu, and I think 700 for the keys/ignition, (no seat lock on the S)

Those monster parts are cheap!

·
Registered
134 Posts
you're asking for more trouble than its worth getting a Duc with no red key, code card or title. You can theoretically get the ECU reflashed so no red key would be required, but that will just add to the expense and the "fun" of getting your bike on the road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts