Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, an update to my crash post a few weeks ago: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/142237-quick-way-remove-instrument-chrome-ooops.html
I just got my bike back from the garage (after costly repairs) and my mechanic showed me the reason i crashed. I thought I'd just hit gravel as i blipped the throttle BUT it appears that there was a mechanical fault. The rear brake has an anchoring point/ pin thing on the swinging arm to keep it in place under braking - this had sheered off - causing the caliper to rotate and jam itself closed between the s/a and the tyre. Fortunately i wasn't traveling too fast (20mph?), but it explains why i lost control at such slow speed
I've now had a new pin welded right through the swinging arm and all seems fine but its worrying. Anyone else experienced this problem? i dread to think of the consequences of this thing breaking at high speed - Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Wow that is scary, I know the pin you're referring to but it seems surprising to me that it would sheer off, it's a pretty solid part (at least on my biposto, maybe smaller on the monos?). The caliper plate shouldn't be putting a lot of stress on it, it's mostly there just as a guide. Definitely something I'll keep an eye on whenever I lube my chain though for signs of wear.

Anyway glad to hear you are back on the road!

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Bad luck on the crash, and that does sound like a worrying cause... I'll see how mine looks next time I ride!

Do other Ducs use the same method to fix the rear caliper, I wonder?

Must hook up with the London posse when you're back on the road!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
On my other Ducs, that pin goes all the way through, but I haven't looked at the SC?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
It goes all the way through on the SCs. You can see the weld 'bump' on the outside of the swingarm.

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 6 of 6 Posts