Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Mr Leakered
8,782 Posts
So I am taking your guys opinion of this chain lube. I have always been a kerosene/WD40 cleaning guy with a drop of 90w as a finish. I have always had good results. But walking through Lowes a few months ago I remembered this thread. Since then I have been using the Teflon stuff on CNC screw drives, hinges and just about everything that needs lubing. Stuff seems really good. So tonight I cleaned my chain and put it on. I have my fingers crossed :)
Are you talking about the squeeze bottle stuff? If not, the current blue spray can version is crap.

I've been using the Dupont teflon for over 4 years and love it. When I heard that they changed the formula, I went to my local hardware store to see if they still had it. All the spray cans were the new formula. They had 4 squeeze bottles of the old formula, so i bought all of them. I still have half a can of the spray, so I'm gonna burn through that before i resort to using the squeeze bottles.
Exactly. Although if you look a couple pages back, I had a less than great experience with the squeeze bottle. Similar to what webBikeWorld noted, it's a mess to apply (and I'm not typcially a person that cares about mess). Duckman didn't seem to mind though. The biggest down side was that I got approximately 2.5 appliations out of the squeeze bottle as most of it ended up on the floor in a spooge pile.

I couldn't find the new chain formula at the closest WalMart and I ain't searching every WalMart until I find some. =P

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,782 Posts
Can't say that I like that idea as the carrier fluid evaporates a bit too quickly in the cold. In the warm sun, it'd be worse. Just sayin'. Sticking with Maxima for now.

DuPont needs to come to its senses. I keep checking WallyWorlds, but none carry any DuPont aerosol cans.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I tried Maxima after the posts here, so far the cleaner is great. I have not hosed down, but apply like I used to with a towel catch overspray.

The lube so far is good to go as well.

·
Sophomore Member
2,572 Posts
You are all going to hate me so much. As you should. I stopped in a random shop on my trip to get a new tire and found an old can still sitting on the shelf. Mwah hah hah!!! It's mine! All mine!

·
Mr Leakered
8,782 Posts
I tried Maxima after the posts here, so far the cleaner is great. I have not hosed down, but apply like I used to with a towel catch overspray.

The lube so far is good to go as well.
How did you get the cleaner off? Just thinking out loud, which is always dangerous, but the way that stuff attacks muck, I don't think I'd want it on there long term. Again, just a thought.

Also, the freakin' hose trick is just hilarious to see. :D

You are all going to hate me so much. As you should. I stopped in a random shop on my trip to get a new tire and found an old can still sitting on the shelf. Mwah hah hah!!! It's mine! All mine!
Oh yes! Much hate going on here. You probably just located the last remaining can on EARTH of the good stuff. :think:

Of course, I'm sure some surly stock-punk at Lowe's is sitting on a pallet for the end of days.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where can I get it online... no dealers anywhere near me.
ya its not all the readily available, an online search should set you up, my local dealer carries it, along with most of their other stuff, I believe Devol is the distributor. they also make 2 different bicycle specific stuff dont confuse them for the BHP, and one bottle last forever, and I use it on 6 bikes LOL

·
Mr Leakered
8,782 Posts
And the drama continues:
DuPont Chain Saver 3.5 oz. Travel Size - webBikeWorld

So, I have been very happy with the Maxima Cleaner and Maxima Lube. The chain never looks dirty and never seems dried out. I'm only on my second can of cleaner and third can of lube after many thousands of miles.

But, I still have a soft spot for this DuPont stuff. It could never be found in the Walmarts that I visited. The wBW article's mention of Amazon caught my attention. I just ordered a can from there. It's twice as expensive as the old stuff was at Lowes. We'll see how much I miss it. LoL!

Have a good one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
chain lube

Found this yesterday on Web Bike World.Com. They say it`s a replacement for Duponts chain lube. Company is called Triox out of Canada. I had a friend with a shop order me a can yesterday from WPS or Parts Unlimited.

carl

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I just ordered a 6 can case of the Dupont Multi Use, 11oz cans.

I'll probably have 3 of the cans for sale at Fontana next month for $8.00 apiece if anyone attending wants one. I'm keeping 2 and Duckman wants one.

I would have paid twice that to order one from amazon, so I gambled on a case with free shipping to balance out....:D

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Alrighty then, I'll probably have 2 to sell...

If the distributor comes through in time.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts