Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
So the Teflon Chain-Saver Lubricant isn't good stuff? They claim 5 times more durability from using it. I'm going to give this a try. Even if I only get double mileage out of using it, then that's good.

·
Mr Leakered
8,782 Posts
Saweet. I'll check out WallyWorld. Now, I'll come out with more than just Rottella T6 and some weird disease.

Maybe "news of its death were greatly exaggerated"? Amazon and Lowes still have the stuff. It is really fine for motorcycle chains.

Dupont Multi-Use Lubricant 11 oz. Spray : Amazon.com : Automotive

pg
DD
Paul,

That is the new formula. Not good for chains not good at all. See Post 12.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If you worry about keeping your Starbucks bike spotless use the teflon.
If you worry about impact cushion and lubricity of the steel chain and sprockets use this.

Prior to Oring chains which won't allow lubricant into the vital pin area I'd get 30,000 miles out of a chain. I get about 20,000 on the nifty Daido O ring chains with this stuff.

Attachments

·
Mr Leakered
8,782 Posts
Maxima Cleaner and Lube

I gotta say that I might just stick with the Maxima cleaner and lube. The cleaner is surprising, removing everything with a water rinse? Sounds like weird directions, but the chain was cleaner than I could get it with a towel. I typically use WD40 to clean. That can will be staying on the shelf nowadays.

Yeah, my bike will find it way to Starbucks on sometimes, but folks generally avoid it. They’re afraid that the dirt will jump off like cooties.

The whacky thin lube is less tacky than the old DuPont stuff and is holding solid. I’m happy for the first time since the OP.

Have a good one.

·
Old Wizard
3,000 Posts
If you're going to use a chain lube, don't clean the chain first with WD-40. It leaves a residue of light oil that keeps some lube formulations from sticking to the chain. Instead, clean with what the chain manufacturers recommend—kerosene (paraffin).

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
been using wd-40 for cleaning and maxima chain wax for years never had a chain fail...even on track bikes generally change chain and sprockets at 15k on street/track bikes and full track whores every 5-8k

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If I run out of diesel or kerosene I'll use WD40 as a degreaser when I'm washing the bike. But I wash the WD40 off with soap and water and then blow it dry before lubing with my favorite chain lube of the month. Like Shazzam said, the WD40 puts a film on the chain that can keep the good stuff from sticking.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Mr Leakered
8,782 Posts
pipe polishers unite

I'm liking Maxima. Screw the cost. The pic is from the chain cleaning. Spray on cleaner, wait 10min, spray with garden hose. Worked up a sweat and everything.

Okay, just look at the chain and not the rest of the pic. :p

I'm getting enough time out of the lube to be very happy. Fucking DuPont.

BTW, the local WallyWorld didn't have any DuPont stuff or any old school brake cleaner. Hate the non-chlorinated stuff.

Have a good one.

Attachments

·
Mr Leakered
8,782 Posts
One of the few cleaners that works as promised, IMHO. Not having to use a towel, brush, or gloves: priceless.

Have a good one.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
I tried the Maxima chain cleaner, I have to say it did a nice job. I used it on a cold chain, hosed it off and wiped it with a rag. Viola .

·
Mr Leakered
8,782 Posts
Pretty freaking crazy, huh? The garden hose part is just hilarious until you see the grit flying off the chain, sprokets, and my super nasty output shaft area. Of course, I'd never expect to clean up that mess in a couple goes, but believe me, it's looking a lot better after a hard winter.

I used my shop vac to blow off the water, let sit while I sipped a beer, then sprayed on the lube.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,782 Posts
It was one of those, okay sure, like that will work moments... until it worked. Haha!

It even inspired me to wash the bike since I skipped that step last summer.

Have a good one.

·
Temporary greeter
23,067 Posts
So I am taking your guys opinion of this chain lube. I have always been a kerosene/WD40 cleaning guy with a drop of 90w as a finish. I have always had good results. But walking through Lowes a few months ago I remembered this thread. Since then I have been using the Teflon stuff on CNC screw drives, hinges and just about everything that needs lubing. Stuff seems really good. So tonight I cleaned my chain and put it on. I have my fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been using the Dupont teflon for over 4 years and love it. When I heard that they changed the formula, I went to my local hardware store to see if they still had it. All the spray cans were the new formula. They had 4 squeeze bottles of the old formula, so i bought all of them. I still have half a can of the spray, so I'm gonna burn through that before i resort to using the squeeze bottles.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts