Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched some World SBK race in France ... Magny Cours I think? WOW! ..... lots of 1st gear corners ... lots of bad-ass "knife fight in a phone booth" racing ... nearly a contact sport! Very very entertaining.

So is World SBK more about production bikes with limited modifications? Like stock engine cases and stock frames with stock swingarm pivot locations type of thing? The bikes didn't appear to be full-on prototypes like MotoGP. And not a goddamed Honda in sight!

Sure was some really excellent racing on that track! Tight corners and many of them to boot! Lots of paint trading!

Thanks.

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
514 Posts
Hmmm, calling them "production based, with limited mod's" is technically correct but is kinda underselling them a bit. I mean, MotoGP bikes operate inside certain limits too, but we all know they are NASA-spec inside those boundaries.

So now imagine NASA given a 220hp production superbike and given a slightly more prescriptive set of rules.....in some areas. Hence we have monococque seat/fuel tanks with the relocated tank under the seat, MotoGP spec swingarm's and suspension, Pirelli spec tyres rather than Michelin, ride by wire throttle applied to the cable operated TB's of the previous gen CBR1000RR, allowing for more advanced electronic/TCS integration. Speaking of elctronics, there are none of the control ECU shennigans as per MotoGP; there is a list homologated ECU's (under a certain price point) but the manufacturers are free to do what they like with them. WSB also has more open aero rules, hence the wings on the V4R are are more effective than those on Dovi's bike.

Just a few years ago they could cut and shut the frames for almost any geometry they liked, and Aprilia fitted a gear driven cam system to Biaggi's dominant RSV4, but both are now disallowed. Interestingly that WSB RSV4 made more power than the ART RSV4 based MotoGP bike, due to the more stringent longevity rules in MotoGP. So when you say "limited mods" in WSB, some of the rules are actually more open than MotoGP.

Realistically when you are starting with say, a 220hp 16.5krpm V4R with the same bore stroke as a MotoGP bike, you're starting from a pretty good place, even if the cases, pistons, crank etc must remain standard. Cams and cylinder head are open though so you'd have to assume Baubau's bike makes as much grunt as a MotoGP bike from not that long ago.

Sound slow? At the 2016 Jerez combined MotoGP/WSB test Rea, on his "el-cheapo" ZX10R posted a time that bested half the MotoGP field. Jerez is not a "power circuit", but a WSB bike is a mandated 10kg's heavier and minus the carbon brakes of the MotoGP stars. For all the limitations they are seriously trick machines.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ Now THAT is the kind of reply I was hoping for! Good job!

I was aware that these WSBK bikes are ~fast as hell~ ... one look at them racing tells that story very well. What I did NOT know were things such as monococque chassis, and very loose geometry and suspension design rules were in place. Those bikes look SERIOUSLY trick, and it was clear to me that their electronics were much less constrictive than MotoGP bikes .... those WSBK machines were pretty unruly!!! The riders were able to steer with the rear end much more, and the bikes would get pretty sassy on them entering/exiting corners. Fuckers sound MEAN too!

The bikes' bit of sass may have been due to the set ups needed for Magny Cours ... a number of first gear turns and first gear switchbacks. So they may have been set up to be more responsive which might have caused a bit of squirrel to come out under the riders. Honestly I really don't know, that was the first WSBK race I've watched in four or five years (for reals!). All I know is I think I like WSBK more than MotoGP. I still like Moto3, and less so Moto2. But watching those fellas ride those SBKs like motocross bikes ... stuffing each other in the corners, trading paint, utterly fearless passing ... was really fun and exciting! Lots of what might be called "avoidable contact". Haa!!!

A number of riders got pitched off their bikes ... a testimony to what might be fewer rider aids ... or at least "looser set ups" for that track perhaps.

I'll be watching more, that certain. I'll have to seek out reruns since the season is pretty much done. But that's totally ok.

Thanks so much for taking the time to provided a deeper insight into what World SBK is about!

(y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts