Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. World SBK is next weekend at Laguna Seca. I'll be there, just wondering if anyone else will be......sean

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’ll be there. Actually on the plane to California at the moment. Spending the next few days in Napa, then Laguna Seca Friday - Sunday. Would love to meet some fellow forum members.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We are going Sunday. For as much as I'd like to take one of the Ducatis, we'll be on the Tiger as it's the only 2up bike in the stable. Can't decide weather to go up the 1 and loop back down to Pismo on the 101, it's a great ride however the last time I did that the 1 was clogged with RV's and campers.
Excited!

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll be there. Actually on the plane to California at the moment. Spending the next few days in Napa, then Laguna Seca Friday - Sunday. Would love to meet some fellow forum members.
Funny that. My folks live in Forest Park, so not terribly far from where you live. I actually live about 20 minutes from Napa. We're headed down on Thursday morning. If you see a first generation Aprilia Mille R with a yellow GSXR on the road or down at the track that'll be us...PM me if you'll be on Cannery Row on Saturday night.....we can have a beer or something at the Irish Pub.....sean

·
Banned
397 Posts
looks like the FIM have gone too far with their V4R restrictions, either that or Ducati has made some drastic changes to the front end of their bike, particularly the #19.....
Bautista is pushing way too hard at the start of the race, it looks like he knows Rea will get away easily if he can't get to the front now. The Kawasaki lobby group must be in for a huge bonus......

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Superbike Race #1 was really exciting. Those Suzukis are just so damned fast on long straights the R1s simply have nothing for them. The lone Ducati went down in the first lap when the guy in front of him went down and the Duc hit his bike.

Maybe it's just some trick of light or something but it looks as though the Corkscrew was been opened up somewhat. It appears that it's not as tight as it was in years prior.

Oh well .... next race tomorrow!

:smile2:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Superbike Race #1 was really exciting.

Maybe it's just some trick of light or something but it looks as though the Corkscrew was been opened up somewhat. It appears that it's not as tight as it was in years prior.
Yep, best race of the weekend so far. The crash that took out Kyle Wyman was right in front of us as we were sitting at the fence above turn 2. Kyle is a privateer effort and receives very little from Ducati in the way of support. That was supposed to change this weekend as the factory guys are in town and he was supposed to get some new parts and software developments.

The corkscrew was redone a number of years back when MotoGP was here. The outside was pushed further out, the hillside was reshaped and trees on the outside of the turn were removed. All to provide more fun off if someone’s handle bar broke on the run into the corkscrew. You know....so a bike didn’t have to get retrieved from out of a tree or anything 🙄 ...... sean

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
... I guess it also provided more space in the event someone wanted to stop their bike during the cool-off lap on the right turn of the corkscrew, lay their bike on it's side, and then lay their body down on top of the motorcycle.

...... Elias !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.... The crash that took out Kyle Wyman was right in front of us as we were sitting at the fence above turn 2. Kyle is a privateer effort and receives very little from Ducati in the way of support. That was supposed to change this weekend as the factory guys are in town and he was supposed to get some new parts and software developments.
Wyman was interviewed on TV while at the starting grid about that very thing. It seems Ducati coughed up an entire new engine for him just prior to this first heat. Too bad he ate shit in the first lap, wadding up the bike.

Many DNFs in this first heat. Makes me wonder how it would have gone had the likes of Josh Herrin on another GSX-R1000 would not have gone down.

.... got dayum 'em Zukis er fast! ......

:laugh:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Well, it's now Day 2.

I'm rootin' for J.D. Beach. He was hanging with the lead group of 4 riders yesterday until the last few laps when Elias really wicked up the pace. I think J.D. either ran out of rubber or elected to lay back towards the end, finishing 7 seconds off of the leader's pace.

Cameron Beaubier is going to be out to prove himself today. In the post-race TV interview he was clearly pissed. Taking 3rd yesterday got his nuts in a rumble so he'll be pushing harder today. Good luck with that! ... them Gixxers seem to really do well this year at Laguna Seca. The Yamahas out corner the Zukes, but that long straight and going up the hill into the corkscrew belong to the Suzukis.

Here's to hoping that the weather is as good as yesterday ... once the morning marine layer burns off hopefully it will be another beautiful day on the California coast.

~thumbs up!~

:wink2:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Just saw the Junior cup, kids on 400's. Damn, wish I could have done that when I was 14 yo. :laugh:

Maybe there is something about the #97 plate. That kid Rocco ran off with the race, reminded me of #97 Rich Oliver on his 2 stroke Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Tried to record today's Superbike race on the DVR, but our cable service provider (Verizon) couldn't get their shit together so 80% of the race was a silent show of about 100 horizontal lines across the screen. We were able to see the last eight laps without interruption.

Oh well. Beats nothin I suppose.

:)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That kid Rocco ran off with the race.
Rocco Landers, 14 years old. Supremely talented. Someone ought to get that kid a wild card or 3 in Moto3 and see how he goes against the best in the world.

He’s only just learning but given the “school” of Moto3 he could become a great world class racer. Thing is, he’s gotta hone his craft now, because he’s just 14. He could come back after a single school year and be too big for a Moto3 bike. Just my thoughts....sean

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Rocco Landers, 14 years old. Supremely talented. Someone ought to get that kid a wild card or 3 in Moto3 and see how he goes against the best in the world.

He’s only just learning but given the “school” of Moto3 he could become a great world class racer. Thing is, he’s gotta hone his craft now, because he’s just 14. He could come back after a single school year and be too big for a Moto3 bike. Just my thoughts....sean
Reminds me of Joe Roberts .. back about 3 or 4 years ago in the 600cc Superstock class. One year he was the apple of everyone's eye ... smallish kid, fast as hell ... the very next year he was over 6 feet tall and looked out of place on a "little 600". If he were to sling a leg over a MOTO3 he'd look like some kid's dad riding an 80cc.

:laugh:

·
Banned
397 Posts
Superbike Race #1 was really exciting. Those Suzukis are just so damned fast on long straights the R1s simply have nothing for them. The lone Ducati went down in the first lap when the guy in front of him went down and the Duc hit his bike.

Oh well .... next race tomorrow!

:smile2:

You're talking about the AMA super bike race i assume? there's no Suzuki's in WSB and there's what, 5 Ducati's....

Not sure who gets the AMA races as part of the package but they don't get shown in Australia so i have no idea what you're on about, my post is in regards to the WSB race, as per the OP's thread heading

Was that punctuated and spell checked good enough for you? At least i can read the topic and stay within the subject material the thread is about eh bonehead....

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
You're talking about the AMA super bike race i assume? there's no Suzuki's in WSB and there's what, 5 Ducati's....

Not sure who gets the AMA races as part of the package but they don't get shown in Australia so i have no idea what you're on about, my post is in regards to the WSB race, as per the OP's thread heading

Was that punctuated and spell checked good enough for you? At least i can read the topic and stay within the subject material the thread is about eh bonehead....
What in hell are you ranting on about?

It's a thread about LAGUNA SECA. It happens to be a weekend long event with a number of classes, not a singular motorcycle class race. If you'll take note there are comments all throughout this thread about the different classes that ran all weekend.

So if you're going to attack me with juvenile names because my focus was on two specific classes run during the weekend's event at Laguna Seca, then you're calling everyone who also commented on races other than the "World Superbike Class" ~boneheads~ as well. Are you prepared to defend yourself for that?

What's up with the attack? All I did was tell you that I find your posts difficult to read since you tend to write very long run on sentences, and that I have a hard time following you because of that. In an entirely different thread I might add. And ~this~ is how you respond? So I guess you've taken it upon yourself to hunt down everything I say now?

Well had I known your are that sensitive I'd have gone about explaining things to you with kid gloves. Now I know, and I promise that I will take far greater care when addressing you from here forward. I sure don't want to invoke your wrath ever again, you've really told me!

My deepest apologies for hurting your feelings. I'll take your moniker completely seriously from here on out, I promise .....Member *looney888 !!!

:wink2:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

The "AMA" or MotoAmerica as it is actually called now, takes the place of the Supersport 300, Stock 1000 and World Supersport support races on WSBK weekend. As such, they fall well within the context of the subject of this thread.

Some of us follow via online subscription, same as we do for WSBK and MotoGP. I'm not gonna say the coverage nor video is of the same quality but it is complete and commercial free.

Yoshimura Suzuki is leading the championship right now with Toni Elias riding point for the team. Monster Yamaha rider Garrett Gerloff got his first superbike win yesterday. And as everyone able to watch saw, Chaz got his first win aboard the new V4R Pani.

Sunday was a good day for racing, if only because there were different winners for once. The actual races were somewhat processional at the front. I gotta say, and Doddste and I discussed it briefly, Bautista is killin' me. Another 50 points ceded to Rea in the title chase. Woulda been 55 but for Chaz taking the win.

On another note, I bumped into @F1_nut and @sgus on Ducati Island on Saturday. F1_nut's ST3 has a very distinct paint job so I saw it from a way out. Also met a guy named Dave...Ducati Dave on Ducati Island right after he got King Carl Fogarty to autograph the tank of his 916. Pretty damned cool that.

Didn't take many pics this year but the few that I took I'll share here. I'll start with this one, seen over near the turn 4 grand stand. It made me chuckle a bit so I had to take a pic.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts