Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just replaced crank sensor (cause I had ordered already trying to solve a starting issue, that apparently I didn't really need). Started up bike to make sure everything still worked and low and behold oil flowing out of the metal braided oil return line. Must have moved it a bit tinkering around. Anyway, just wanted to alert owners of older bikes that lines may be close to failing and because of the metal braiding one would never know...until it's too late.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
They do age and need replacement eventually. I was on my third set on my '93 M900,

PhilB

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
I would wager that Phil's third set had more to do with the mileage on the bike which equals many times flexing the oil cooler out of the way for valve adjustments. By itself if not touched I do not see them failing as on average mile bikes I do not see failures and that includes many old bikes and neglected bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
It's like plumbing--you think you have one thing to fix and as soon as you touch that--you now have 3 things to fix lol

Reactions: duc96cr

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I would wager that Phil's third set had more to do with the mileage on the bike which equals many times flexing the oil cooler out of the way for valve adjustments. By itself if not touched I do not see them failing as on average mile bikes I do not see failures and that includes many old bikes and neglected bikes.
Maybe, but I don't think that was the main driver. Age and vibration. Each set lasted about 10 years and 100K miles or so. After about 40K on the bike, I only had the valves checked and adjusted about once every year/12K miles or so.

PhilB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts