Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had good luck with any brake modification to the 916s?
The brakes on my 916 are terrible!
I have fitted EBC HH pads and have goodridge kevlar lines on.
I am not sure if the kevlar is as good as the ss.
After 10 or 15 hard laps, they really start to fade and I am not sure what to do about it.
At this point I am thinking that 14 years of tire development have overshadowed the stock brembos.
What about a different master cylinder?
I think later models had 4 pads instead of two, but the caliper mounting holes are different.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
After 10 or 15 hard laps, they really start to fade and I am not sure what to do about it.
At this point I am thinking that 14 years of tire development have overshadowed the stock brembos.
I think later models had 4 pads instead of two, but the caliper mounting holes are different.
Any ideas?
You can get brembo radial masters, radial calipers, and the proper mounts for them all from motowheels. I believe he has all that stuff. That would make a huge difference.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
I've done a lot to my bike, but maybe the best money spent was the Brembo 4 pad calipers off the 748R/998R. They're still the axial mount 65mm spacing, but with HH pads it made a huge and immediate difference.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
No wood in my brakes....

Brembo 19x20 radial mastercylinder, Brembo HP radial calipers, Brembo HP full-floating rotors;

·
Registered
59 Posts
Any ideas?
I had the same problem with EBC HH pads on the track. Try Vesrah pads before changing anything else. Big difference.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The EBC HH pads do require breaking in.They need to be brought up to temp slowly to finish boiling out the aromatics in the binder material.The instructions that came with the pads outline the procedure.I've used them for years and never had a problem,I can loft the rear wheel on my 900SS even with my not insubstantial 230lb. butt firmly in the seat.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Brembo 4 pad calipers with the brembo master cylinders, will fix your braking issue's

·
Registered
797 Posts
No matter what I did I never like EBC's even with the stock calipers.
Your lines are fine, try the Carbon Lorainne racing pads, they, and a radial master cyln. will make a nice difference......

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
I replied earlier, but I wanted to add that you can find those Brembo 4 pad calipers on ebay for $200-$300 per set. Pads aren't cheap (but a set will probably be included) and you'll need different lines for the side inlets on the calipers ($100+, try Yoyodyne or a Spiegler vendor) , but for $400 the difference is amazing. I have the radial master cylinders too and while they're nice, they don't give you anywhere near the calipers' bang for the buck. Radial mounts for the fork bottoms are an unnecessary expense--which begets even more expenses down the road.

·
Registered
339 Posts
That is right, before spending big $$ get rid of EBC pads. Try Galfer or even Brembo pads (I think they are made by Ferodo)

D.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I replied earlier, but I wanted to add that you can find those Brembo 4 pad calipers on ebay for $200-$300 per set. Pads aren't cheap (but a set will probably be included) and you'll need different lines for the side inlets on the calipers ($100+, try Yoyodyne or a Spiegler vendor) , but for $400 the difference is amazing. I have the radial master cylinders too and while they're nice, they don't give you anywhere near the calipers' bang for the buck. Radial mounts for the fork bottoms are an unnecessary expense--which begets even more expenses down the road.
I to am in the market from some brake upgrades these days and what you say sounds pretty good. I think i'm going to try and get my hands on some of these 4 pad calipers...anybody seen any for sale on e-bay or elsewhere?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
After 10 or 15 hard laps, they really start to fade...
What do you mean by fading, requiring more brake pressure or the lever starts to move towards the bars? I never had an issue with the EBC HH pads on my 996, but it is a 15-year-old design - I gradually wound up with 4-pad calipers with Ferodo XR pads (huge improvement), Braketech iron rotors, and Brembo 19x18 master - now it stops. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
So, I talked to the guys at desmoto here in San Francisco and they said if you upgrade to the 4 pad calipers you also need to change the brake rotors as they have a slightly different offset. He suggested that i upgrade to the brembo radial master cylinder because the four pad calipers will not necessarily help with brake fade, any more than say new brake fluid and a radial master cylinder could. Im realy not sure if this is the right path or not, but i do feel that in outright breaking power, the oem two pin brembos are probably fine, im sure if i squeezed hard enough i wouldnt have too much trouble

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
Mine work great and I never changed the offset. I think that's only with the wheels. However, I also changed forks (Ohlins R&T) at the same time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts