Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for 10 years and finally got one of my dream bikes, as we all have n+1 dream bikes out there...

2010 Hypermotard 796 with only 6,600 miles on it. I'm coming up on 7,500 miles real fast and would like to know what the majority of you guys do. Do you check/adjust the valves and timing belt yourself or do you take it to the shop? Lucky for me, I have Motoguild nearby where I can take a class to check/adjust my valves but could I swing it on my own?

Enough talk, pics or it didn't happen! :grin2:

This is the day I bought it. Lucky for me, it came with a DP ECU, air filter cover, tail bag and Rizoma mirrors. I'm thinking of replacing them as they're too small and have terrible visibility. Do the stock 939 mirrors fit?

Simple things first, clean that filthy chain/sprocket and get new tires. Q3 rear and Q3+ up front

Sound and projection next. I added a LV cat delete, Termi slip-on, Rizoma frame sliders.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Congrats, as a first time Ducatista myself, I can appreciate the joy a new toy (especially a Hyper) brings!

Many change out the 939 mirrors for Monster mirrors, but no idea of they will fit the 796.

A lot of us don't have a Motoguild nearby, so you are at an advantage there. I wonder of the regular valve adjustment class can be made to be Ducati-specific? Since there are special tools you'll need. Learning on an SV650 (SVRider anyone?) like it shows on the Motoguild website might leave gaps in preparing you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats, as a first time Ducatista myself, I can appreciate the joy a new toy (especially a Hyper) brings!

Many change out the 939 mirrors for Monster mirrors, but no idea of they will fit the 796.

A lot of us don't have a Motoguild nearby, so you are at an advantage there. I wonder of the regular valve adjustment class can be made to be Ducati-specific? Since there are special tools you'll need. Learning on an SV650 (SVRider anyone?) like it shows on the Motoguild website might leave gaps in preparing you.
I used to have a SV650S too and that message board was very helpful when doing my suspension(CBR F3 tubes+ SV lowers and GSXR rear shock) and mods.

The class is "European" specific for Ducati, Aprilia, and KTM so they have all the tools (and shims?) needed for 2V and 4V motors. The class is for 3 bikes and 1 instructor, who will walk you through each step of the way.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I was in your exact position 15 years ago. I had purchased my first Ducati, a Monster 900, and needed to check the valves and replace the belts. I have been riding bikes since I was very young and worked on them all myself. So it was natural for me to just roll up my sleeves and learn the process. I got online and found that Pro Italia in the LA area had a video (the kind that went into a VCR!) on valve adjustment. So I bought it and watched it a bunch of times before tackling it myself.

There are many resources now online and places to get parts. LT Snyder 2V Maintenance Guide is a great how to book that tells you not only what to do, but also how to do it. Almost every page has some helpful tip he offers. Chris Kelly also has some videos on valve adjustment as do others.

If you have any kind of mechanical skills, you can learn how to do the maintenance yourself. The key to being successful, is for you to understand the why of each of the steps. Once you figure that out, you have a big advantage, but you have to be willing to be patient and want to learn and even be ok to struggle a bit.

I have talked to hundreds of people over the years that have taken the plunge and its rewarding to watch them come into an area of unknown and then conquer it. Its a good feeling to accomplish something new.

Mike

·
Registered
442 Posts
Great bike and you are well on the way to getting it "right". A stiffer fork spring from Traxxion Dynamics and some heavier oil will sort the front end pretty well...

I am actually doing my second desmo valve job ever, and its on my hyper 796. I just did my first Desmo valve job and belt replacement on an 01 ST4 a few weeks ago, which was quite the task, so the 2v is a real pleasure to work on.

If you are experienced with working on bikes and more importantly engines and valves, it is defiantly doable. Proper research and an extra set of hands really helps.

Tons of info on the site and feel free to ask questions. I am still learning myself.

This forum is an fantastic resource, as well as youtube. As previously mentioned, check out Chris Kelly/Ca cycleworks vids. You can also rent tools and get some instructions from ducati tool rental link----> Welcome They were a serious help to me, though I am going to be putting together my own tool kit moving forward.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
" I got online and found that Pro Italia in the LA area had a video (the kind that went into a VCR!) on valve adjustment.
Mike "

They still sell that video its VCR to DVD transfer but the info is still
good and its $10.00 as they are selling the last of the stock they
have.
If you are talking about the motoguild class in San Francisco its
got really good ratings. I have not been just watched the dvd and
got LT Synders book and had no problems at all with the valves and
belts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for all of the comments (ducatimike, hyperjb, and hypermo) and help! I have been doing quite a bit of research as well and found much of the resources you all have mentioned. I also was able to find this great post below.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hype...100-evo-valve-check-belt-replacement-how.html

T-bills did a great job taking pictures of the take down required to get to the valves and then doing the checks themselves. I also watched the ca cycleworks vids which lead me to posting the question here.

I'll probably tackle this next month and let you all know how it went.

One last question, do any of you do the kickstand pivot? I know it's attached to the engine, which can be sketchy, but it's nice to do once in a while to squeeze my bike in my garage.

also... wash/waxed

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
One last question, do any of you do the kickstand pivot? I know it's attached to the engine, which can be sketchy, but it's nice to do once in a while to squeeze my bike in my garage.
i had an 848 customer who used to, until i showed him that his intermittant oil leak was due to the crack in the crankcases around the side stand mounting bosses. new cases.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i had an 848 customer who used to, until i showed him that his intermittant oil leak was due to the crack in the crankcases around the side stand mounting bosses. new cases.
Slightly off-topic, but based on the response above, what is the general concensus on mounting a Ducati Hypermotard "ADV Style", I know the old adage is "a sidestand is not designed to support more weight than the bike alone", but on Japanese brands folks ADV mount them all day for decades with no issues, are there known problems doing this with Ducs?

When luggage/top box is installed, it's kinda hard to mount any other way than ADV style (by this I mean standing on the left peg with full weight and stepping over).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Slightly off-topic, but based on the response above, what is the general concensus on mounting a Ducati Hypermotard "ADV Style", I know the old adage is "a sidestand is not designed to support more weight than the bike alone", but on Japanese brands folks ADV mount them all day for decades with no issues, are there known problems doing this with Ducs?

When luggage/top box is installed, it's kinda hard to mount any other way than ADV style (by this I mean standing on the left peg with full weight and stepping over).
That's a great question! I can flat foot the bike pretty easily so I don't, however when I go 2up my pillion goes on adventure style with the kickstand down. Should I not be doing this?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I wouldn't be doing it, jappers have the stand mounted to the frame/chassis whereas on Ducati's the side stand is mounted directly to cast cases. It's designed to support the bikes weight, yeah, sometimes that includes fully loaded panniers on an ST but that extra weight is static, a person climbing on board isn't and places stresses through the mounts. The convenience of that and pivoting the bike on the stand isn't worth the expense of the cases as well as completely disassembling and reassembling the engine/bike to me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't be doing it, jappers have the stand mounted to the frame/chassis whereas on Ducati's the side stand is mounted directly to cast cases. It's designed to support the bikes weight, yeah, sometimes that includes fully loaded panniers on an ST but that extra weight is static, a person climbing on board isn't and places stresses through the mounts. The convenience of that and pivoting the bike on the stand isn't worth the expense of the cases as well as completely disassembling and reassembling the engine/bike to me.
Great info, of all the Ducati quirks I've heard folks talks about, I've never heard that side-stand mounting points talked of.

By pure coincidence a friend of mine posted an article about the Moto Guild today, seems their business is expanding:

Moto Guild Silicon Valley: DIY Made Easy | Cycle World

1 - 13 of 13 Posts