Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'18 1260S: after 150 miles or so, I assume it has to do with the clutch fluid getting hot, when trying to get into neutral, it goes from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 1st, but will not go into neutral. Once it cools off, like after lunch, it works again until another few hours of running.
Anyone else have this? Could it have to do with DQS? Ideas?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bleed your clutch. Either water or air has gotten in there and expanding in the heat.

It's happened to me before, twice.
Did that with no change. I used to have to bleed the clutch on my last 4 multis every 500 miles or so, and quite a bit of air would come out each time. No air bleeding out on this bike. Unless someone has another idea, I'll be bleeding from the slave with all new fluid to see if that works. It's the original fluid, but with 10k+ miles on it, shouldn't need replacing yet.

·
Premium Member
3,574 Posts
If bleed down is not correct at the clutch lever you will not have enough clutch pack separation and the dragging clutch will make neutral hard to find.

New clutch lever?
If so did you adjust bleed down?

The engine grows with heat so a cold (smaller) motor will change clearances when it becomes warm (running temps) so it may be as simple as a slight adjustment .

·
Registered
143 Posts
It will become 'better' with age.

Mine's the same during our summer...be sure to use all four fingers to pull lever in and blip the throttle.

Also when the engine is north of 190 the gear indicator has a life of its own, i can be in N but show either 1 or 2 or flicker :|

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Interesting bulletin, didn't realize that was adjustable now.

I read it as "go to the dealer". None of the procedure sounds that complicated but you need $150 tool that you'll use once.

https://www.ducatiomaha.com/products/887132695

Plus a Rilsan pipe TWO "quick release inserts" and a "high precision glycerin filled pressure gauge"....ummm sure

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm checking with ducatitoolrental.com to see if they have the tools. Probably not, but worth a try as the adjustment is easy. Meanwhile I've made an app't w/ a dealer to get it adjusted under warranty. The service bulletin is a huge help.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Interesting bulletin, didn't realize that was adjustable now.

I read it as "go to the dealer". None of the procedure sounds that complicated but you need $150 tool that you'll use once.

https://www.ducatiomaha.com/products/887132695

Plus a Rilsan pipe TWO "quick release inserts" and a "high precision glycerin filled pressure gauge"....ummm sure
I mean really, Can't they just have a simple master and slave like like every other standard bike and car in the world. The highest performance bikes use a cable. Simply can't see a need to alter the pressure between master and slave.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I mean really, Can't they just have a simple master and slave like like every other standard bike and car in the world. The highest performance bikes use a cable. Simply can't see a need to alter the pressure between master and slave.
Right! I mean hydrolic clutch's have been a thing for a long time. Why make it so complicated?

It’s all part of the exclusivity and mystique you buy into with Ducati.
Haha..older I get the less I like mystique.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No go on the tool rental, so it's off to the dealer. If this happens more than once, I will buy the tool and learn how to do it myself...rather than having to leave the bike overnight to cool at the dealer and then having to go back to pick it up...all for a one hour (max) adjustment.

Re: "exclusivity and mystique": Repeat after me: "It's not a problem, it's a feature". Drink the Kool Aid and do not question.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FYI: Replaced the clutch fluid with Motul 660 and bled the circuit. The lever cold was nice and tight, and after warm up neutral was easy. After 200 miles, neutral still easy but the lever was again near the grip before it pushed the master. After bike cooled off and I pumped the lever a few times, it was tight again. Not sure if adjusting the pressure with the screw behind the sprocket will effect the position of the lever. I will try a long ride again on Thursday and see what that brings.

·
Registered
123 Posts
FYI: Replaced the clutch fluid with Motul 660 and bled the circuit. The lever cold was nice and tight, and after warm up neutral was easy. After 200 miles, neutral still easy but the lever was again near the grip before it pushed the master. After bike cooled off and I pumped the lever a few times, it was tight again. Not sure if adjusting the pressure with the screw behind the sprocket will effect the position of the lever. I will try a long ride again on Thursday and see what that brings.
If this is an 18 1260 then it's still under warranty. Just tell them to fix it. Ducati does not allow any of their special tools to leave a dealership. Strictly forbidden.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2013. I bled at the clutch and it fixed it. Extremely small amount of air. Could have been in the line for a while and just made it to the right place. My theory is if you pump the clutch and it gets tighter than you are moving the air pocket just enough at the clutch. It was a short term fix for me too while traveling. I will also mention that I run the Castrol racing fluid. That has solved the squishy back brake problem too. It has the highest wet boiling point. I have been running that fluid for about a year until I had the minor clutch issue. But I was running high and low elevations really hard in the smokys. The back brake has maintained and has not been bled since I put the Castrol racing fluid in it. I was doing it 2-3 times a season before I switched it out. Expensive but worth it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts