Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way out for a ride in the twisties, I was denied the enjoyment before it even began.

I just installed a new used non-suicide kickstand, you know the type that doesn't automatically retract once the back is centered.
This being my 1st ride with the new/used kickstand I forgot to kick it up.
After trying to ride the bike out of my drive way for about 2 feet, I felt a clunk.
It was my kickstand still down.
So I kick it up and I'm off.
The bike shifts fine from 1st to 2nd.
I get to a light around the corner, put it in neutral.
Light turns green, downshift into 1st and I'm off to the next light.
Once again I shift into neutral. Or at least I thought I did from 1st to neutral.
Well, the light turns green, I give it gas and it seems like I didn't give enough gas so it dies.
I start it up, give it gas, a lot more than usual and I'm off.
I think I'm in first but it feels like 3rd or 4th.
I pull over and try to downshift into 1st or neutral and it just won't go.
I make it home since I was less than 4 blocks away and now it just won't go down into the other gears.
I think I'm in 5th as I can shift up once and once back down from there.

Any suggestions on what it could be?
Prior to this incident my bike has ran tip top.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a quick look, but didn't see any cracks or leaks.
I will check again more thoroughly tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A similar thing happened to me and it worked out to be the gear selector fork inside the side cover had come out of adjustment. Took the side cover off, adjusted it and bam! all the gears selected again as per normal.

For some reason, it can go out of adjustment. It ios mounted on a cam eccentric set up. what can happen is that if it goes out of adjustment the selector fork moves to far in one direction and cannot return. Or it cannot go far enough one way to actually select the next gear. I had it jam into 2nd gear on a race day.

I hardly doubt that your stand being down would cause your gearbox to lock up. I have crashed these bikes and bought crashed ones that have not had the case that bad it locked up selection...

On another option... and it might sound silly. Had this happen to a Monster, the actual bolt that goes through the gear lever seized to the gear lever and just would not move up or down. took it apart, cleaned it up, greased it all and reassembled and it worked like a day one bike from that day on!..

If that helps, your welcome, if it doesnt... Well.. ill get back to you :p

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pegaxs,
what you described as a possible fix, how difficult would you say it is?
I have the haynes manual and my Desmototimes manual.
I haven't really done much on my bike except simple bolt on stuff, change oil.
I'd really like to give it a try than to rather take it to the shop again.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I had something similar happen on my Hypermotard after an oil change. It turns out that I mistakenly installed a washer that goes behind the left footpeg bracket on the wrong side while reinstalling the skid plate, and when I tightend up the left side it was deflecting inward enough to get the shift rod out of alignment and bind it up. When I put the washer back in the right place everything was fine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, there's no footpeg washer on my bike for the shifter.

Also, after inspecting the case around the kickstand area, I did not see any new cracks or leaks.

·
Registered
836 Posts
if you think your in 5th, normally a bike gearbox wont let you go into the lower gears without rocking the bike back and forth to give some movement, try sitting on it rocking it back and forth while changing it down threw the gears, specially if you think your in 5th??? just an option to try, mine does that when in a higher gear and thats how i get it back to neutral or into first..

·
Registered
742 Posts
downshift . . .

Does your clutch disengage when you pull in the lever? Maybe your slave or master cylinder is leaking and the clutch pack does not release.

Fred

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just assumed his clutch was working because he said he could still take off from the lights, all be it in the one gear.

Got it home and parked it, not stalled it in the drive way when you come to a stop ??

The way to check if you have the same problem as i had was to try and change gears up or down, engine off and do as catilover said, rock the bike back and forth and try to change. leave the clutch alone. if the gear lever is stuck rock hard and wont move in either direction, then there is a chance your gear selector is stuck. Dont force the lever if it wont move, as you will only bend the selector fork.

If your gear lever is moving all the way up and all the way down, make sure its clicking the detents in the box. if you can, check on a working bike just how much movement is the correct amount.

If you have to adjust the lever your manuals should have it in there.. i would suggest you have some gasket goop with you for when you refit the side cover. I did the job in about 40 mins between races. But then again, i knew how to adjust it, where to go and what i was looking for and i am a mechanic with about 15 years experience :) for you, it may take a little bit longer but it is not a hard job. Use it as a last resort though, it may not be the issue, check out every other option first that doesnt require ytou to dismantle engine parts.

See how that goes...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Howdo!!
Just another thought have you altered the clutch plates at all? I had this problem when I changed a clutch pack once. Able to go up the gears but not down. Stopped the bike and did the rocking fwd/back to get back to neutral. Rode the bike to the dealer who checked the fork selector (as thats what he suggested was the problem) it was in spec. The clutch pack was the wrong thickness. Repacked the clutch and the bike was perfect.

Cheers Pablo

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bike is now in the shop (Desmoto in San Francisco).
They're thinking it's possibly that the shifter spring along with something else minor is the problem.
I can't remember exactly what it is at the moment as I just got back from the bar and had a bit too much to drink.
More details when I pick the bike up tomorrow hopefully.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it was the selector forks.
they installed a new shifter spring and adjusted the selector forks.
I should have had this done a few months ago when I was getting some miss shifts from 3rd to 4th when I was at the track.

Now after the adjustments have been made and the SSR reverse shifter lever installed, 1up5down is feeling pretty good. :D

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I could be wrong but I think "selector fork" is another term for "shift actuator." Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
89 Posts
As another data point for this problem, here is my experience.

My '96 900SL recently started having problems with the gear change lever not returning when down changing, I also got the odd false neutral etc. Figuring it was a weak/broken return spring and/or selector drum adjustment and not having my Haynes manual handy (recent house move), I dropped it off at the shop.

In my case the problem was fixed just by lubing and adjusting the external gear linkage and change mechanism - seems they were binding. I now feel like an idiot paying for that to be fixed but at least it was cheap - I was having visions of bent selector forks and having to crack the cases etc!

Rob.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts