Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a lot of questions and info about lowering the bike and for some reason I'm just not clear. I see "just adjust the back shocks" and I also find don't touch it. Some say a Ducati comfort seats lowers the bike and others say it doesn't. Anyway, I ride a Multistrada right now and fell in love with a GT 1000 after I took one out for a 4 hours ride. I'm 5'5 and 118 lbs and only have problems backing her into spots because I'm on my toes. I want to buy one so badly and I'm a bit hesitant because of the height. I feel like if it was just about half an inch or an inch lowered it would be perfect. Is there hope without spending a ton of money on new suspension etc?

The suspension seemed very tight or hard to me. Will I be able to get more cush or softness?

Any women out there who may have experience with riding a GT?

Thanks and this is a great forum!

Kelli

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
hey kelli,

well, i'm neither a woman nor do i have inseam issues with the bike... but i can tell you from personal experience that the comfort seat is scooped out a little more than the stock one. this alone will help, dropping you "into" the bike by maybe 1/2" - i felt this right away at the pegs, as my legs were a little more folded up with the comfort seat.

you can also check the preload adjustors on the rear shocks to make sure you have the right amount of static sag - for your weight, i'm guessing they should be set around the minimum. most folks find the suspension too soft, so the gt you rode may have been set up with more preload than you need, giving you an oversprung ride and not letting the bike settle enough when you're on it. i'd start here as both these mods are pretty inexpensive, and the comfort seat is a better seat (in my personal opinion) in terms of both contour and a more grippy/less slippery cover material, even if it only partially solves the height issue for you.

you can also lower the bike pretty easily - either buy aftermarket shocks with height adjustors (several options available) which can also give you the adjustability to improve your ride, or there is also a guy on the forum who made a set of brackets that will kick out your shocks to a slightly lower lean angle, lowering the bike. the brackets aren't adjustable, so may do more lowering than you need, and won't give you the adjustability of better shocks.

just be aware that if you lower the rear, you should lower the front to keep the bike level/balanced and avoid adversly affecting the handling. this is done by simply raising the forks up in the triple clamps.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Reshaping/recovering the seat will help, and lowering the bike a hair won't hurt either. You'll need new rear shocks, or lowering blocks (someone on the forum was making these, not sure if they're still available) and then can slide the forks up in the tripple clamps by 1-2 cm. You can get shorter rear shocks from www.customsportclassics.com, http://www.customsportclassics.com/dcc138-40.htm

or there are some very nice lowered/resprung rear shocks for sale in an ad on this forum (if they're still available): http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=73476

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Kelli, I'm 5'-7" and short-legged so your legs are probably at least as long as mine (29" inseam). Yes, I'm heavier and stronger than you, but I kept my rear shocks raised up 2 notches (for the handling) and I was still fine with the GT seat height, both with the stock and the Comfort Seat. The bike is so light and narrow that it was much easier for me to handle than other bikes, even those with slightly lower seats.

Now, admittedly, my other main bike is a BMW R1100RS, so I was used to relatively high seats and a bike nearly 150 lbs heavier than the GT, but you're no noob. If you are comfortable on the MS, and you're in decent shape, that is, not weakened by some condition, I think you will be comfortable on the GT. Get it, and give it a few months. If, after that time, you decide you really would like it a little lower, then you can get some shorter shocks and raise the forks in the triple clamps. That will cost you around $500-$600, but my guess is that you'll be comfortable with the bike in no time.

Edit: By the way - women riders ROCK!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Hi Kelli and welcome to the group!

I have a GT and love it. I'm a little taller than you however, at 6 ft. with a 34 inch inseam. Taller than a lot of the *guys* on this forum actually! :cool:

Great to see another woman here. Girls rock!

Debby

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hi Kelli,

Sorry, another male posting a response to your post!

I tried a Multistrada before I bought my GT1000. At 5ft 9ins with an inseam of 29ins I am the classic stocky Welshman. I found myself too much on tiptoes with the Mutistrada but much more comfortable on the GT1000.
Although I'm a little taller than you, I suspect you'll become even more confident over time with the GT1000 - especially if you are happy with the riding position on the Multistrada.

The 2006/7 GT1000 bikes had a seat height of 820mm, but from 2008 onwards the seat was modified slightly (less padding?) to provide a seat height of 810mm. I don't know if 1cm makes much difference, I guess much depends on the individual sitting on the bike. I certainly won't be asking Mrs H if an extra centimetre would make a difference!

Keep us posted & I hope all works out for you if you switch bikes.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi Kelli,

Another male response....and I have "soap to sell".

My 5'6 friend has just sold her 2009 GT...she is a speed demon and after $4000 mods she still could not keep up with my 2009 Repsol Honda CBR1000RR....so now she has a 11000S Monster and be buggered....I catch her on the straight bits !

I have a set of shocks that she had made in Germany to suit her height and riding style (somewhat adjustable)...they are Wilbers and the finest quality. Not saying they are BETTER than OHLINS....but I also have I have a top of the wizzer set of Wilbers on my GT...and they are the GOODS.

My friend wants the Wilbers gooone...no further use....like maybe 4 months old...perfect condition....less than half price and if your overseas the exchange rate makes them a steal. And if your vertically challenged and want your bike to ride nice......hmmmmm

I have the on a FS thread....but PM me if your interested

Cheers Roger

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yeah Debby GO TALL PEOPLE!! Got ya by two inches though :rolleyes:

Kelli

Sorry another male response (there is a couple of us on here!) Seriously if you enjoyed the ride on the GT then go for it. I think we all here will agree we love our bikes. As to the height all options listed will get it down low enough for you. Just read some too on the options for putting adjustable forks on the front. You are lighter than the range they designed it for. Having forks built for you will make a world of a difference in ride feel to.

After getting all the bits together and on your bike find a suspension guru at a track day. There's always one working at a track day and have them fine tune settings for you there is a black magic to what they do and I'm glad they are always at the track!

Rick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all the "guys" who responded! I appreciate it. I'm going to go for the bike as soon as my Multistrada 620 sells. I've been riding all my life and have had quite a few bikes so I'm going to trust that I can work with the height and do a few adjustments. I'm looking at a red 2007 GT with Termi's and raised handlebars. The stock set up is a bit too stretched out for me. The bike is is excellent condition with 3,800 miles. He's asking $7,600. Seems fair even if I can't knock him down a few hundred.

Wish I could keep both bikes because the Multi is a lot of fun. :)

Cheers,
Kelli

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Hi, Yea the 07 seat is about 1/2 inch higher. I just got off my GT. This bike is great with Termi's Hope it works out for you.:)

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Any women out there who may have experience with riding a GT?

Thanks and this is a great forum!

Kelli
Hi, Kelli. Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see some women posting.

Ducatibabe just started posting too. (See her posts toward the end of the Sport Classic Picture Thread.) She rides a Paul Smart but she still might be able to give you some tips on setup.

·
Registered
714 Posts
miss freeway.I to am vertically challenged as you can see by my name.I also found the GT to high for me but loved the bike,I figured I lower it as I got use to the bike,turns out I GOT USE TO THE BIKE,and left it alone.love it just the way they made it,plus if your riding it you dont need to reach the floor.good luck.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Hi Kelli-

I'm a female Hypermotard rider, and I can relate to your decision...

After test riding the Hypermotard, I absolutely loved it, but, I was concerned about the height, because, like you, I was on tippy toes when backing the bike up.

Well, thankfully, I didn't let that one "problem" deter me, and I am so happy I got the Hyper. I'm still on my tip toes when I back up, but, I've just learned to be very good on my tips toes! ;)

Sounds like you are going to pull the trigger, good for you, go for it! :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Another guy chiming in!

The difference in seat height between the stock and "comfort" seats is fairly pronounced. Stock, and I'm on the balls of my feet at stops. I'm flat footing it with the "comfort" seat. At 5' 10", I prefer the stock seat as it has more padding and (for me) is more comfortable.

I found that the "comfort" seat also gives a posture that is too upright. At high speeds, the wind exerts too much pressure on my torso, which I find to be fatiguing. With the stock seat, I lean a little more forward, and the seating position is perfect.

I'm thinking that merely switching seats will not give you the fit that you need. Looks like you might need to lower the bike just a bit.

The GT is a very light bike, and is the easiest large displacement bike to handle at stops or low speeds that I've ever ridden. The CG is also very low, making it just that much easier to handle. The first time I grabbed the grips and moved the bike, I felt that I was pushing around a little dirt bike instead of a liter machine.

The stock ride is very harsh. For me, it was punishing. Others have left the bike alone, saying that the ride improves as the bike wears in. I couldn't stand it, and started with lighter wheels. Improvement was so dramatic that I stopped right there.

The heavy OEM steel wheels and suspension just cannot keep up with every irregularity in the pavement. That's part of cause of the harsh ride, but the problem is that this also contributes to head shake, which can be violent. I fitted a Storz Performance steering damper, and then removed it when handling improvment was so pronounced with the new wheels.

Welcome, BTW!

PS: Red. You need red.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Here is my old comfort seat that I cut down a little. I will guarantee the seat height is a fraction lower....maybe not the best for touring. It's been at the upholsterer for 3 months now....he must be close to covering that expanse of foam by now! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
miss freeway.I to am vertically challenged as you can see by my name.I also found the GT to high for me but loved the bike,I figured I lower it as I got use to the bike,turns out I GOT USE TO THE BIKE,and left it alone.love it just the way they made it,plus if your riding it you dont need to reach the floor.good luck.
Ms Freeway...mouse may be vertically challenged but from what I hear he more than makes up for it horizontally...I hear his speedometer never goes below 90 and that's in the borough of Manhattan!

·
Registered
503 Posts
How's this for a comfort seat ?

I never found the comfort seat very comfortable at all.

The stock seat is very wide....and it has to be to mate up with the GT tank...and not look too wide in the hips above the shocks.

This is all a bit tongue in cheek.....I am putting a Sport tank on the GT and making it look like a Cafe racer. It was not done to make the seat lower. I was amazed how comfortable the thin foam pad was though during the test period...I rode 3-400 klms on that thin pad.

The stock GT seat is the way to go for comfort in my opinion....it's quite a good seat and suits the bike and the logo at the back just looks right.

Cheers

Roger

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts