Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've seen a few posts here regarding the wobbly rear turn signals, and as others have noted, i never really appreciated how much they bounce around until i saw another multi ride past.

so, while while i continue my hunt for a nice set of LED turn signals (besides ducati's), i figured i'd farkle up a simple/cheap fix that seems to have all but stopped any slack in the turn signals.

step one: open up the tail section (license plate off, plate holder screws off, screws beneath the tail off). this allows you to remove the top black plastic section above the license plate and access the interior of the turn signal area.

step two: cut a section of metal dowel (i used 1/4 inch threaded steel dowel) so that either end can be inserted into each turn signal stalk. i didn't measure but i'd estimate the dowel should be about 9-10 inches long. obviously you'll want to measure with your turn signals mounted on the bike and in place. i also wrapped the dowel in black electrical tape which allowed me to increase each end of the dowel to fit snuggly into each turn signal stalk.

step three: insert the dowel into the end of each stalk so that it goes in as far as possible, ideally touching the screw inside the turn signal. i positioned the dowel evenly through the wires in the center of the tail section so that half were above and half below the dowel. this allows the tail section to be closed back up more easily - no wires being pinched between the dowel and plastic tails section.

step four: fit the plastic tail section back on and screw the parts back in place.

step five: drink a beer :laugh:

if it isn't obvious, the dowel simply connects the turn signals to each other and adds a good deal of strength/firmness. threading between the wires in the middle of the tail section also "anchors" the dowel in the tail section. with this fix applied, i can still bend the turn signal stalks a little, but not nearly as much as before, and they no longer vibrate or bounce around when riding.

hope this helps anyone that is also annoyed by the wobble. i didn't take any pics as this was an impromptu job, but hopefully the above is clear enough.

·
Registered
895 Posts
^^ Good job, well thought of idea, thanx for sharing. Mine vibrated-wobbled so much they broke half way through, i filled them with black silicone and taped them up. Butcher job, but they have held together so far. Also the 4 screws that hold the tail section on, i put extra washers on them to take out some of the looseness slop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts