Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so people reading this probably know ive installed a samco hose kit recently. I am in no way affiliated with samco but I wanted to post MY results below keeping in mind atmospheric temps and humidity are for all intents and purposes the same (90 degrees and 100% humidity for the last 2 weeks)

2006 749s BEFORE SAMCO HOSES INSTALLED
Typical Temp at speed: 185 Degrees
Typical Temp in town: 200 Degrees

Installed 8/19/09:
Samco 6 piece hose kit
New coolant brand name Maxima
Temp at speed: 180
Temp around town (with unusually poor luck with red lights): 185 MAX

The results speak for themselves.... I am extremely surprised and happy....

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm assuming you know this already but the reduction in engine working temp has got nothing to do with you installing silicone hoses. It's due to the new coolant you're using. The thread subject, however, might indicate otherwise...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
IIRC, You want the indicated water temp to be at least 185 for complete and most efficient combustion. Less than that and the ECU is changing air/ fuel mix to compensate for the "cold" running engine. ECU gurus might indicate a different # than 185, but the point is, cooler running is not necessarily better.
185~210 is optimum, again, IIRC.
You've probably seen pictures of race bikes run in cold conditions with duct tape/ cardboard covering part of the radiator? It's to keep engine/ combustion temps up where they need to be.
Those Samco lines do look cool, though...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been raining solid for the last 2 weeks?
Really? I'm pretty sure this thread has nothing to do with raining. I suppose you think you've caught me mis-speaking and are doing what exactly.... Exposing me? Dude this thread is about my experiences with samco hoses NOT the weather. Since YOU find it to be of more importance than what I am actually trying to share I'll answer with this: the weather has been stormy for about 3-4 weeks. Each day it has rained once or twice with thunder storms every day as well. Yes it has ramained at 100% humidity but I'm sure a meteorologist such as yourself knows that when the becomes SUPERSATURATED it will rain. Therefore the weather CAN be 100% humidity without actually raining. But you're not a meteorologist are you? You're just a nit picker, a hair splitter.... The type that I have found an unpleasent abundance of around here.

For those that found my findings interesting or have corrected my misconceptions about the engine temp on my bike thank you. This is the very reason I enjoy this community. I hope others are informed through this post. Trenman

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry everybody, that was the nitpicker, the irrelevant topic bringer-uper that broke THIS camels back. Why must people bring up such irrelevant off topic nonsense?

Moving on.... All I know is my bike doesn't burn my ass through my riding pants (no not leather, and yes yes I know if I wear leather I wouldn't feel the heat yadda yadda- see weather comments above).

Personally it's a more comfortable temp and given the info above it is one that once reached, will allow my bike to run the way it was designed to (albeit
the lower end/ more comfortable end of the heat spectrum).

Sooo... Samco pipes rule

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Couple things you can do to reduce the underseat heat a bit. Install an aftermarket exhaust. My Termignoni titanium full system(w/o the cats) runs anywhere from 12+ cooler than my buddies exact 999 w/o an exhaust system. You can also install additional thermal barrier under you seat pan. I did it recently-it a PITA cutting the individual shapes out to fit the seat pan, but that seemed to help. You can also install this stuff on the orignal heat shield under the seat-it's an adhesive backed product so it will stick most anywhere. Forget the thermal exhaust wrap.....what good it is when it will only lower you temps 100+ degrees or so-you'll never feel it.

·
Premium Member
8,756 Posts
Couple things you can do to reduce the underseat heat a bit. Install an aftermarket exhaust. My Termignoni titanium full system(w/o the cats) runs anywhere from 12+ cooler than my buddies exact 999 w/o an exhaust system. You can also install additional thermal barrier under you seat pan. I did it recently-it a PITA cutting the individual shapes out to fit the seat pan, but that seemed to help. You can also install this stuff on the orignal heat shield under the seat-it's an adhesive backed product so it will stick most anywhere. Forget the thermal exhaust wrap.....what good it is when it will only lower you temps 100+ degrees or so-you'll never feel it.
Thanks Trenman, in either case you have provided good food for thought. Unless there were prior issues, that comment by Jduc seemed harmless enough, as though he was amazed its been raining solid in your territory for a couple weeks. Thats the way I took it, but I've been wrong plenty.

Back to the heat factor, I suffer from a nice sized red burn mark on my right calf after a ride on a hot day. By definition, its a first degree burn. Eventually it goes away, but annoying nevertheless. ZDM, I don't quite understand, your saying exhaust wrap doesn't help? What about jet coating, I've been thinking of doing that and besides, it looks good. My 999R has the "race kit" from the factory (installed by the dealer) which includes the exhaust without the cats. I consider it an aftermarket exhaust, but in this case it doesn't solve the heat issue. Maybe without it I would sustain 2nd degree burns instead? I think I'll look your suggestion of more untail/seat insulation and even lining the cf exhaust guard with it. The jet coating has always been on my short list.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'll be getting my new exhaust system internally ceramic coating (don't like the look of it so am not having it externally applied). I get roasted thighs on par with what Colonel Sanders sells when I ride my 999R in traffic so hopefully the ceramic coating will ease the pain a bit!

Trenman did you stick in some new coolant and what did you put in?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be getting my new exhaust system internally ceramic coating (don't like the look of it so am not having it externally applied). I get roasted thighs on par with what Colonel Sanders sells when I ride my 999R in traffic so hopefully the ceramic coating will ease the pain a bit!

Trenman did you stick in some new coolant and what did you put in?
Yes I mentioned it in the original post: it was called "maxima" motorcycle
coolant. I picked it up at our local motorcycle superstore.

Also I should have mentioned that I have a Remus
exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Wow - I was merely pointing out the fact that you post was a bit...err...well...not detailed, or should I say, unscientific. If you're going to make these claims then go off the charts & say it's been 100% humidity for 2 weeks...it just leaves a bit to be questioned. That's all. Sorry I put your panties all in a wad.

Touchy touchy. I'm female and not even I get that hormonal at a simple comment.

The purpose of my post was intended to get you to think about your post a bit. ;)

Ever think about the fact that a car's thermostat opens at a specified point and isn't just open to begin with? That's because vehicles run better at an optimum temperature. Just like big rigs run down the highway with covers over the front end of their trucks either fully zipped up or partially zipped up during cold weather. But alas, this has all already been covered earlier...I digress...my only intent was to get you to reread your post and use your noggin a bit...:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts