Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Ducati Performance electronic analog tach for my '97, which came with no instructions, and no mounting bucket/bracket. I'm going to get a bracket fabbed up, but I do need to find a 'bucket' for it - and more importantly, instructions. It has four leads that come off the backside - 2 yellow and 2 black. Included was a clip that holds three wires, which looks to plug into the back of the unit.

Anybody familiar with these? This is going onto a '97 m750, which didn't come with any tach whatsoever (I don't mind invading the wiring harness, but it would be good to know which wires to splice into).

My other issue is finding the right bucket in which to sit the unit; it'll be a stand alone gauge, so it won't be going into a cluster.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Got a picture of the back of the tach and the wire included? If it is the patch cord that used to come with the DP tach kits it will go inline with your little black spark boxes in front of the battery.

I recently bought a Ducati Performance electronic analog tach for my '97, which came with no instructions, and no mounting bucket/bracket. I'm going to get a bracket fabbed up, but I do need to find a 'bucket' for it - and more importantly, instructions. It has four leads that come off the backside - 2 yellow and 2 black. Included was a clip that holds three wires, which looks to plug into the back of the unit.

Anybody familiar with these? This is going onto a '97 m750, which didn't come with any tach whatsoever (I don't mind invading the wiring harness, but it would be good to know which wires to splice into).

My other issue is finding the right bucket in which to sit the unit; it'll be a stand alone gauge, so it won't be going into a cluster.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a picture of the back of the tach and the wire included? If it is the patch cord that used to come with the DP tach kits it will go inline with your little black spark boxes in front of the battery.
I'll take a snap tonight of everything that was included and post it - thanks! :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, finally ... here's what I've got ...

It's from DP, it's listed as an "electric analog tachometer", p/n: 96502100A

As I mentioned, there are four leads off the back, 2/ea black and yellow. At about 2 o'clock in the picture is the port for the 3-wire plug (which is in the bag, along with 3 metal wire crimps). And that's all I got ... so I'm a bit on the stumped side with what to plug into what, and where.

Should I have a barrel fuse in-line somewhere between the tach and the ... I don't know? Red side of the battery somewhere?

Color me clueless ... :think:

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

·
Registered
970 Posts
you need the patch cord I was describing..it will plug into the tach and then go inline with the ignitor boxes under the tank.. I will see if we still have one when I get in this morning..
the wires you see are for the internal lighting, you need to plug into the back of the tach. That plug they gave you plugs into the back assuming you already have the wiring.. Your year does not.. I will post back up later today.

Ok, finally ... here's what I've got ...

It's from DP, it's listed as an "electric analog tachometer", p/n: 96502100A

As I mentioned, there are four leads off the back, 2/ea black and yellow. At about 2 o'clock in the picture is the port for the 3-wire plug (which is in the bag, along with 3 metal wire crimps). And that's all I got ... so I'm a bit on the stumped side with what to plug into what, and where.

Should I have a barrel fuse in-line somewhere between the tach and the ... I don't know? Red side of the battery somewhere?

Color me clueless ... :think:

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave, you rock. Solid. You just made my day.

A word of warning: I may start harassing you with all my other little quibbles as I put this thing back together. LOL :D

I'll buzz you @ the shop ...

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2008 National Best Exclusive Ducati Dealer "Gold" Award Winner
2008 National Top Parts "Gold" Award Winner (2nd year in a row)
2008 Regional Best Ducati Dealer Award Winner
Now I know why. :) Thanks, guys. You seriously made my day.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here's the set up I am running
Wow, I like that. Very clean. I recognize that faceplate from the DP catalogue, too! :) And, that looks just like the tach I bought - I'll get a pic tonight.

Mine's probably going in the opposite direction (of clean) LOL - I removed the digital DP tach that was on there, and I'm planning to go back to the stock speedo/idiot lights cluster (the digital tach sat on top of the idiot lights). But since this new tach won't fit with the Puig windscreen I picked up, I'm going to fab up a mount that uses the four handlebar riser holes - as they've been empty since I switched to clip-ons. It'll put the tach front & center ... since who pays attention to the speedo anyway? ;)

I'd love to trim down the idiot lights like you've done ... so I might just reconsider my approach ... we'll see!

Nice to meet another '97 owner, too. We're few & far between. I'd love to see the rest of your bike; I'll post some pictures of mine once it's done (still waiting on some parts ...)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, that's gorgeous! Love the Dymags. I bet they change the handling a bit? I'm curious about your rear brake set up - is that a stock caliper mount, just with the anti-shimmy bar?

I've been trying to source an over-the-swingarm brake bracket (like on later-model 900s) but I'm not sure that bracket exists for a 17mm axle. Barring that, I was thinking about a set up like yours.

Stock swingarm, too, just polished?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Wow, that's gorgeous! Love the Dymags. I bet they change the handling a bit? I'm curious about your rear brake set up - is that a stock caliper mount, just with the anti-shimmy bar?

I've been trying to source an over-the-swingarm brake bracket (like on later-model 900s) but I'm not sure that bracket exists for a 17mm axle. Barring that, I was thinking about a set up like yours.

Stock swingarm, too, just polished?
polished early 900 aluminum arm.. the rear brake set up is referred to as a full floating caliper.
It bolts to the engine cases vs the swingarm thus allowing less wheel hop under heavy braking and less squat in the rear.. there is a bearing in the mount bracket that the axle goes through to allow it to pivot as the suspension moves..
IMO, lighter wheels are one of the most noticeable mods you will ever make.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts