hi all, ive got a 92 750 ss with an unusal wiring prob, the headlight stopped working (no hi or low- but park light still works) and the hi beam indicator wont turn off at all, if anyone has come across this any help would be appreciated, thx phil
Seems like a negative wiring fault or maybe the switch
This may seem rude, but have you checked the bulb?
If that is OK, then read the rest.
I have attached the wiring diag and legend. The high beam indicator lamp is connected to the wire that connects to the high beam terminal on the bulb. It is safe to assume that as that lamp lights, then you have 12V at the high beam terminal, so the fuse is OK. As both hi and lo do not work, the only common wiring is the negative to the bulb, so have a look at connectors, cables etc. that connect to the bulb negative terminal.
If you do not find a dodgy cable or connector, you can use a wire long enough to reach from the bulb to battery negative to do an electrical, rather than visual check. Connect one end to battery negative, then poke the other end into the back of the H4 - left side vertical terminal. With the key on, if the headlight comes on, then the fault is in the negative wiring to the light. Make sure you put it onto the correct terminal, otherwise you will blow the fuse!!
Lamp staying on - let's see how the first step goes, but if the above did not make the headlight work, then maybe the handlebar switch is duff or corroded.
It is easy to jump in the deep end when fault finding. Our kettle was not working, so I grabbed the tools to pull it apart, then doing the safe thing went to unplug it from the power point - OOPS, the plug was slightly out of the socket!