Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've hacked up my 999R wiring harness to remove all the non essential items (for racing). Now I need to re-wrap the harness how it originally was.

Does anyone know where to get the black tape used to wrap it. It is like a cloth and is much stickier than standard electrical tape. I'm guessing it has some heat shielding capability as well.

I searched the interweb and just can't find it anywhere. I must be searching for the wrong thing, but I couldn't find any good online sources for electrical supplies like this, AMP connectors, heat shrink, etc...

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I searched the interweb and just can't find it anywhere. I must be searching for the wrong thing, but I couldn't find any good online sources for electrical supplies like this, AMP connectors, heat shrink, etc...
Hey, don't know exactly what you're looking for, since you mention tape, connectors, etc. But the New Jersey company Buy Heat Shrink has sent me a load of stuff at a reasonable price with very good service. When they left a small item out of the first shipment, they made good by sending the item at their expense. They have a spectrum of products for everything from a home garage (mine) to an industrial outfit. Their website indicates that they have heat-shrink tubing in various smaller rolls, and I got 1/2", 3/8", 1/4" and 1/8" rolls in convenience packs that were quite reasonable.

You might want to give them a shot: http://www.buyheatshrink.com/index.htm

Loved the titanium unobtainium build.:D

Ron

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
A well-kept secret in the automotive restoration world. You need to find black athletic tape (hockey, soccer, etc.) or medical tape. Finding it in such a narrow width is the hard part, although you could buy it thick and hacksaw that bitch...

You basically want to find a "cloth" tape. (edit: no duh. I just re-read your post :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Black athletic tape (hockey, soccer, etc.) or medical tape.

You basically want to find a "cloth" tape.
lol, I was thinking it must be something more exotic than athletic tape. No wonder I couldn't find anything... definitely looking in the wrong places.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, don't know exactly what you're looking for, since you mention tape, connectors, etc. But the New Jersey company Buy Heat Shrink has sent me a load of stuff at a reasonable price with very good service. When they left a small item out of the first shipment, they made good by sending the item at their expense. They have a spectrum of products for everything from a home garage (mine) to an industrial outfit. Their website indicates that they have heat-shrink tubing in various smaller rolls, and I got 1/2", 3/8", 1/4" and 1/8" rolls in convenience packs that were quite reasonable.

You might want to give them a shot: http://www.buyheatshrink.com/index.htm

Loved the titanium unobtainium build.:D

Ron
Thanks Ron - I'll check it out.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Anthony, I edited my post 100 times so I don't know if you saw the part about cutting it to size.

Athletic tape doesn't typically exist in 1/4" rolls ... usually it's 1/2-1" wide. You can do one of two things: 1) hacksaw the roll to size or 2) find a print shop with a LARGE press-shear and ask them to cut it size.

Or, if you spend the time, you may be able to find it somewhere on the interweb...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
A well-kept secret in the automotive restoration world. You need to find black athletic tape (hockey, soccer, etc.) or medical tape. Finding it in such a narrow width is the hard part, although you could buy it thick and hacksaw that bitch...

You basically want to find a "cloth" tape. (edit: no duh. I just re-read your post :rolleyes:)
Haha, this was the first thing that came into my mind too. At least it looks like 100% hockey tape :D

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have found the tape you are talking about at BMW: 61 13 6902 588 is the part number. It comes in 25 meter rolls and is about US$20 a roll.

Cheers

SF

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like the tape is Certoplast 514. Found it for around $12 in the US, but so far nobody has it in stock. I sent a couple of emails checking ETA.

The BMW dealers online are asking $22-26 and want $15 shipping. $30-$40 seems a bit steep for a roll of tape!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I think what you are looking for is called friction tape or cloth friction tape.

http://www.shop3m.com/80610731715.html

A good electrical/telecom supply house would have this stuff I think.

I also have something called Scotch 23, self bonding electrical tape, but is rubber not cloth.

Keep up the cool posts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
go to a Mercedes Benz dealer and pick up a roll of abrasion tape,we use it for alot for recalls they should have in stock,its amazing stuff sticks to itself like crazy and you need scissors to cut it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
This is probably one of those products that see their price doubled or tripled after you stick a motorcycle sticker on it :D Ducati branded tape would probably cost five times more.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
This is probably one of those products that see their price doubled or tripled after you stick a motorcycle sticker on it :D Ducati branded tape would probably cost five times more.
... or Mercedes Benz

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You need to find black athletic tape (hockey, soccer, etc.)
I agree with that. The black cloth tape used to wrap hockey sticks is bomb-proof. Tough, flexible, uses temperature and water resistant adhesive and sticks to itself very well.

You could buy the same stuff, sold by an upscale automotive restoration outlet, with a European brand name stamped on the package, and pay 10X as much, but why?
http://tinyurl.com/yh9boye

OMFG, $1.99 tape on my priceless Ducati! How declasse! :)

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
At least on my 999 the tape appears to be the non-sticky type or at least only a little bit sticky.

How sticky is that stick tape and isn't it sticky on both sides? I see this picking up a lot of grit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It looks like the tape is Certoplast 514. Found it for around $12 in the US, but so far nobody has it in stock. I sent a couple of emails checking ETA.
Did you ever find a source in the States that stocks Certoplast 514? I think that's what Kufatec lists on their site (link below), but they seem to be perpetually out of stock on it.

Fabric Tape - Certoplast - Exterior - 25m [33633] - $7.95 : Kufatec USA, Inc., The #1 Supplier of OEM Volkswagen & Audi Retrofit Harnesses in the World

1 - 20 of 25 Posts