Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have had a few electrical related issues on my 916. Most of which have been fixed, but I really think the harness as whole should just be replaced.

I have had, gauge issues, light issues, starting issues, neutral switch issues, all of which have now been fixed (except the dang neutral light :confused:...whatever...) but these issues coupled with the fact that there is an after market wiring kit for the lights is leading me to believe it would be best to just start over with the wiring all together.

I have a Ducati shop by me that said they would swap the complete wiring harness for me if I got them one, for a reasonable price ($350, for those wondering) but I have to find them the correct one... and not only be the correct one but be in better condition then the one I am taking off.

The model part is where I am having issues. There are a bunch on ebay, but I am assuming the P8 computers have different wiring, So do I need to find a wiring harness from specifically a 1995 S1 916 or are there other years that work?

Next is the rear section of the harness separate from the front section like it is on some vehicles , or is this all one harness?

Last is their an aftermarket version, ie something newer 1995 that will be a plug and play replacement for my bike? That would then limit the possibility of me buying and replacing a wiring harness only to find out my original was working better.

Any help is really appreciated.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
The model part is where I am having issues. There are a bunch on ebay, but I am assuming the P8 computers have different wiring, So do I need to find a wiring harness from specifically a 1995 S1 916 or are there other years that work?

Next is the rear section of the harness separate from the front section like it is on some vehicles , or is this all one harness?

Last is their an aftermarket version, ie something newer 1995 that will be a plug and play replacement for my bike? That would then limit the possibility of me buying and replacing a wiring harness only to find out my original was working better.
Save the money and do it yourself after you purchase a manual or print up a proper wiring diagram. You will learn a lot in the process and $350 is too steep for a 1 hour job.

Answer to Question 1- You must find a rear (main) harness b/c of the P8.

Answer to question 2 - The rear section of the harness separates from the front harness on the right lower trellis of the frame leading up to the steering head tube. 2 piece harness. The front will be the same on all the bikes.

Answer to question 3 - No after market plug and play.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
As mentioned, the rear harness that connects to the P8 ECU will need to be off a bike that had a P8 ECU. That one connects to the mid harness on the right side of the bike for rear lights and power. It also runs up the left side of the bike connecting the coils, injectors, TPS and air pressure / temp sensors to the ECU.

The mid or, as I call it power harness, has the fuse box, battery connections, neutral and oil pressure connectors, VRR DC connection, key switch etc.

The front or headlight harness has the left and right switch pods, starter button, lighting, tach etc.

Not sure what problems you're having, but if you can get away with not replacing the rear ECU harness, the mid and front harnesses are pretty much universal. WITH TWO NOTABLE EXCEPTIONS...

The differences are identified by 916 and 996 series.

My 916 has a 996 harness. It is an upgrade to the 916 harness and it is easier to get. 748 harness (from the 996 era) will work too.

First difference is the neutral switch. 916 has a two wire switch, 996 has a single wire switch. If using a 996 harness on a 916, you simply run the second wire to a good ground. I used the neg battery terminal.

The second difference, and a major upgrade to the 916 harness, is the addition of two headlight relays, individual headlight fuses and additional ground wires between the front and mid harness. and here is where compatibility comes into it. 916 and 996 differ in the number of pins the cannon plug has. Not 100% on the numbers, but the 996 has maybe 22 pins. The 916 plug has maybe 19 pins. You'd need to use a 996 with 996 and 916 with 916...

Before someone brings it up, there is NO difference to the bike's harness regarding the 916 single phase generator and the 996 three phase generator. The DC input to the harness from the VRR is the same. The difference is on the AC side of the VRR only.

I have a bunch of harness items. Some whole harnesses, some parts. If you're interested in doing the work yourself, PM me and you can have the stuff for shipping. If you are going the dealer route, I doubt they would want to touch untested items and I doubt you'd want to pay them an hourly rate to experiment... In that case, check out this eBay seller. https://www.ebay.com/sch/valtermotousa/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from= Good bet he has some new harnesses. Message him if you don't see what you need listed.

Reactions: CinKo

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys! Time is a very limited commodity in my life, but if its really only and hour or so job I have no problem fitting that in to try it out.

Everything but the neutral light and sometimes the headlights are the only thing giving me issues. The headlights all work but the HID kit cables feel hot after running so I just disconnected them as the electrical work that was done connecting them does not (in my opinion) look like quality work.

That being said it appears I don't need the rear harness.

So this I guess is where I want to clear up a bit of my misunderstanding here.

I need essentially two harnesses, one being the mid main harness, and the other the front headlight harness?
In addition if I go with the 996 harness I need to also need to replace the cannon plug end on the 916 to a 996 cannon plug fitting?

SS904 I checked the listing you sent over, thank you for that. I think I would like to try what you have, I'm gonna PM you now.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
In addition if I go with the 996 harness I need to also need to replace the cannon plug end on the 916 to a 996 cannon plug fitting?
No. The cannon plug is physically the same and a 916 would connect to the 996. It's just that more pins are used in the 996 version. The pin out (wiring schematic) would be a bit different. If you go with the 996 harness, you just need to replace them both.

The cannon plug is the silver and black multi-pin twist connector between the mid and front harness. Strapped to the frame sort of above the battery.

Also, if you have HIDs on a single phase bike, this MAY be the problem. Don't those need a pretty healthy start up voltage? The old harness runs full current to the head light through the left hand switch. Not a good arrangement for a bike already down on available electrical power. Using questionable wiring to get juice to the light might add to the problem. This is where the 996 harness is much better. The left hand switch pod only routes power to the head light relay coil. The contacts of the relay route power to the light right from the source through a dedicated fuse. Just less opportunity for loss along the way.

Checking PMs

Reactions: CinKo
1 - 5 of 5 Posts