Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I purchased a wiring harness taken from a 2007 S2R1000 to replace the harness on my bike, which is a 2006 model.

Unfortunately, it seems I may have made a serious error: there appear to be some differences between the 2 model year harnesses.

The most obvious difference is in the fuse "box": please see the photo. The 2006 fuse arrangement is on the left, and the 2007 is on the right. The 2007 has 2 spares, and starts with the "Dashboard" on top, while the 2006 version starts with a "Master".

Another difference is the primary or main fuse: the 2006 model has a 40 Amp oversized fuse; but the 2007 version has a 30Amp regular, smaller fuse. (I assume this is not a vital difference, but the others may be.)

Bottom line: do these differences mean that I cannot swap my 2006 harness out with the 2007 version? What is likely to happen if I rewire the bike with the new harness? Are there also important differences between 2007 and 2006 model ECUs?

Many thanks for any guidance!

Attachments

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Posting this email for posterity, which is what i sent to Cityzen a few minutes ago.

I have had a quick look and there is a lot that is similar and only using a marker pen to colour in the two to make sure things go to the same places/components is the way I would compare.

Body 8 in 2007 controls relay 4 which is power to lighting. I expect this relay will not close until some condition is met, probably RPM greater than some value.
This means full battery juice is available for cranking rather than powering a headlamp and wasting current from the battery.

Body 24 in 2007 is from the speed sensor and goes to the ECU and dash.
In 2006 it only goes to the dash. I would be a little concerned about this one and interchangeability of harness and ECU.
Maybe just the harness would be OK, but it would depend upon if there is something in the current ECU connected to body 24.

There may be something in 2007 that uses speed and RPM to calculate/display current gear.

I think body 17 (keysense) is just power from the stop/run handlebar switch to show it is in the run position.

2006 body 28 goes to the ECU which then, if all or some things are OK like clutch pulled or in neutral it will crank - so it can’t roll/move during cranking = safety.
It looks like 2007 body 28 does the same thing.

I agree with much of your “HOWEVER” paragraph, which is quoted below from the email.

"HOWEVER, there is one conclusion we can draw: it seems ECU as not as easily interchangeable between bike models and/or bike years - because, with the different wiring and different pins on the ECU, this means that different model or year ECUs are physically distinct. So you can't merely flash a map from one model or year and use the ECU on a different model or year - at least the match is not guaranteed to be 100% - the wiring/pins have to be compared. Does that seem right? I'm not sure if these are important differences, maybe not ... or maybe I have the the whole thing wrong."

My guess is that there is a strong possibility that the 2007 harness and ECU will work, but would check ECU and dash connections.
Also, if you use the 2007 fuse assembly, all things should be powered.

Thank God I have a simple Marelli 15M!

Richard

Reactions: cityzen

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose I should post at least the short version of the question to which Punch offers an answer:

---

I've discovered something and I wondered what you make of it: I compared/contrasted the wiring diagrams for the 2006 and 2007 models, and there are a couple of small differences in the way the ECU is wired/pinned. First, 2 pins (Body 8 and Body 24) exist in the 2007 model that do not exist in the 2006. And 2 pins are colored a bit differently (Body 17 and Body 28). I've highlighted the differences in the attached diagrams.

This of course is in addition to the different fuse arrangements.

I'm not sure what to make of this, except it appears that with the Body 8 wiring/pin on the 2007 model, one of the two relays (either main or starter) is affected. With Body 24, the speedometer is affected.

Thanks again!

Posting this email for posterity, which is what i sent to Cityzen a few minutes ago.

I have had a quick look and there is a lot that is similar and only using a marker pen to colour in the two to make sure things go to the same places/components is the way I would compare.

Body 8 in 2007 controls relay 4 which is power to lighting. I expect this relay will not close until some condition is met, probably RPM greater than some value.
This means full battery juice is available for cranking rather than powering a headlamp and wasting current from the battery.

Body 24 in 2007 is from the speed sensor and goes to the ECU and dash.
In 2006 it only goes to the dash. I would be a little concerned about this one and interchangeability of harness and ECU.
Maybe just the harness would be OK, but it would depend upon if there is something in the current ECU connected to body 24.

There may be something in 2007 that uses speed and RPM to calculate/display current gear.

I think body 17 (keysense) is just power from the stop/run handlebar switch to show it is in the run position.

2006 body 28 goes to the ECU which then, if all or some things are OK like clutch pulled or in neutral it will crank - so it can’t roll/move during cranking = safety.
It looks like 2007 body 28 does the same thing.

I agree with much of your “HOWEVER” paragraph, which is quoted below from the email.

"HOWEVER, there is one conclusion we can draw: it seems ECU as not as easily interchangeable between bike models and/or bike years - because, with the different wiring and different pins on the ECU, this means that different model or year ECUs are physically distinct. So you can't merely flash a map from one model or year and use the ECU on a different model or year - at least the match is not guaranteed to be 100% - the wiring/pins have to be compared. Does that seem right? I'm not sure if these are important differences, maybe not ... or maybe I have the the whole thing wrong."

My guess is that there is a strong possibility that the 2007 harness and ECU will work, but would check ECU and dash connections.
Also, if you use the 2007 fuse assembly, all things should be powered.

Thank God I have a simple Marelli 15M!

Richard

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
The dash part numbers also differ, but having other of these versions, I do not know if the info displayed differs.

E.g. one shows gear and the other does not.

From an outsider's point of view, it is looking a bit uncertain.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
I recalled that Cityzen and I communicated via email in the past.
The problem back then was intermittent running and fluctuating RPM, even after a new TPS.
Also some dodgy wires, which I guess is the reason for the new harness.

I have had another look at the two schematics and as Cityzen knows, there are some ECU pin differences, but that is just a case of rewiring them or not connecting in the case of the speed sensor.

There are two noticeable differences.
The 2006 uses a master relay to power the fuse box and the 2007 does not have this relay.
2007 - some fuses powered direct from the battery via the master fuse and others via the key switch.

2006 has a relay that is most likely not energised until some condition is met, say RPM above a certain values, to keep the headlight off.
2007 does not have this relay.

I would say it is possible to make it work, but the tricky part will be modifying the 2007 harness to replicate connections to the fuse box, master relay and headlight relay. Could end up being very time consuming and bodgy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, but if you look at the physical harness (as well as if you count them on the wiring diagram), both years have exactly the same relays, the same number and in the same physical location. They may be connected up differently, but the 2007 also has 2 side-by-side "generic" relays and 1 starter selenoid.

Anyway, bottom line: are you suggesting the swap cannot be easily done, even with the 2007 ECU ... because of the instrument panel/dash difference?

Thanks!

I recalled that Cityzen and I communicated via email in the past.
The problem back then was intermittent running and fluctuating RPM, even after a new TPS.
Also some dodgy wires, which I guess is the reason for the new harness.

I have had another look at the two schematics and as Cityzen knows, there are some ECU pin differences, but that is just a case of rewiring them or not connecting in the case of the speed sensor.

There are two noticeable differences.
The 2006 uses a master relay to power the fuse box and the 2007 does not have this relay.
2007 - some fuses powered direct from the battery via the master fuse and others via the key switch.

2006 has a relay that is most likely not energised until some condition is met, say RPM above a certain values, to keep the headlight off.
2007 does not have this relay.

I would say it is possible to make it work, but the tricky part will be modifying the 2007 harness to replicate connections to the fuse box, master relay and headlight relay. Could end up being very time consuming and bodgy.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Hmm, but if you look at the physical harness (as well as if you count them on the wiring diagram), both years have exactly the same relays, the same number and in the same physical location. They may be connected up differently, but the 2007 also has 2 side-by-side "generic" relays and 1 starter selenoid.

Anyway, bottom line: are you suggesting the swap cannot be easily done, even with the 2007 ECU ... because of the instrument panel/dash difference?

Thanks!
Relay 29 - 2007 and relay 17 - 2006 do the same function = power to the fuel pump, coils and injectors. Tick OK

Relay 4 - 2007 provides power to the headlight switch on the left handlebar. This is controlled by the ECU.
The same physically located I guess relay 4 - 2006 provides power to some of the fuses at key on.

What I am saying is that you could modify the 07 harness to be the same as the 06 for these latter two.

The dash and ECU - by making sure that the 07 harness is rejigged where necessary to replicate the 06, that also should be OK.
For example, Gr/G from the speed sensor on the 07 goes to dash 17 and body 24.
On the 06 Gr/G from the speed sensor also goes to dash 17, but not to the ECU, so you would need to remove the connector pin/wire that goes into body 24.
Every connection would need to be checked, moved or removed to make the 07 work as an 06.
I have not been into the detail of every connection. That is for you and a marker pen.

That is all on the assumption you continue to use the 06 ECU and fuse box, which is probably simplest if you continue with the 07 harness.
Also, with the fuse box, the schematic shows battery positives connected together at the fuse box. This is just a schematic and reality is that there are usually individual cables running from the fuse box to battery positive.

None of the above is insurmountable, just attention to detail and connecting or disconnecting accordingly.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Did you get this sorted?

As in the bike runs now?

Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts