Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little advise. I am about to receive the minimount from Paul at ducatidesigns.com and am going to mount a nuvi 550. I have the fused direct wiring kit from Garmin but i wish to hook it up to a switched power. What is the easiest way to do that on a 2006 ST3.Is there a heated grip power source somewhere? Any tips would be great.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
11,837 Posts
There is a connector behind the front fairing on the left for heated grips IIRC. You may want to think twice about using a switched source though. There's a certain convenience to be able to leave it on when refueling or making other short stops.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I wouldn't use a switched source either. I have an optimate plug inside the fairing and bought a plug which fits onto the bare wires of the satnav lead. When your done you can take all the cabling and mount off the bike. I bought a satnav mount which replaces one of the bolts the secures the handlebars, it is brilliant and was around £15.

·
Registered
426 Posts
As Yorik said during fill ups etc i think you lose your way point or what ever its called (anti gps non user here). Id suggest using the grip heater wire AND your direct power wire in combination with a time delay relay from wolsten tech. When wire properly as soon as you turn the key one the relay get power then at what ever time you decide one the relay is tripped and when you shut down the power off timer starts and keeps power on until timer hits the set point.
I'm using one now on my HID headlight to delay high current start up so full power can go to the starter and light will not start stop during the cranking thus i should have max life.

Automotive Time-Delay Relay

·
Super Moderator
5,863 Posts
My garmin doesn't loose anything when turned off. Also, if the switched power is turned off with the GPS on, the GPS asks if you want to keep it on.

I put my unit on switched power a few weeks ago (since I forgot to unplug the unit and it discharged my battery...twice). I used the plug for the heated grips. Mine was tucked up on top of the instrument cluster...so I had to remove the wind screen and the inner plastic panel that surrounds the instruments.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Heated grip connector part number?

2007 ST3S ABS,
I want to connect a volt meter to the heated grip connector. Is there a mating half to that three lead female connector? Part number or substitute? I don't want to cut the connector off if I don't have to.
Thanks, Stephen

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is there a mating half to that three lead female connector? Part number or substitute? I don't want to cut the connector off if I don't have to.
Stephen,

Yes, it's called AMP Superseal, and can be found in good electronics shops.

And you don't really need the super expensive pliers that they recommend to crimp a metal pin around a wire. Just some convenient pliers and patience. Buy a few more more pins than you need, so you'll have spares when you screw up the first few ;).

Cheers,
Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.