Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone thought about or attempted wire wheels for the Hype? I would think the front would be easy, the back however I'm not so sure. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
exactly what I was thinking...
But past that it doesnt seem like it would be an easy task. You would probably have to have hubs custom made... at least for the rear. The front you might be able to mod a SC wheel to work.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
What are your thoughts?
I reckon the Tard would look bloody evil on wires!! :yeah:

Obviously a BMW 1200GS type arrangement would have to be done on the rear, there was a company that made SSS wire hubs, the thread was on Speedzilla but a coupla years ago

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i saw a hyper in a picture somewhere in germany that had a set of excel wheels that were all black cept for the gold hubs it was pretty sweet looking.i will see if i can find the pict again.dont know if the rear hub was custom or not but it did have that same gold color.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you find it that would be awesome. Wires just seem like the next natural step on the modification ladder. Last time i checked, most motards have wire wheels.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
thats for sure but this bike aint no real motard if you know what i mean.i have have my 510 stroker crf for that.i wouldnt attempt to jump a double on the hyper...lol

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
if you find it that would be awesome. Wires just seem like the next natural step on the modification ladder. Last time i checked, most motards have wire wheels.
If I'm not mistaken, in the world of supermoto the move from wire wheels to forged Marchesinis is the next natural step on the mod ladder.Wire wheels are actually cheaper even if you have someone build them for you.The biggest hurdle would be the custom rear hub which would be fairly easy for a good machinist.If you are truly interested, check out Warp9. Of course then you're gonna have to run rim strips and tubes in your tires. I'm sticking with my Marchesinis.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, after lots of research and even more soul searching, I have officially decided to NOT put wire wheels on my Hype. What I have decided to do is install boobies. Thats right, I am officially installing a pair of tits. I figure they will sit right on the side pannels with the nipples facing forward. Now I just need a donor, Johnchyper, you available for a little surgery? :D

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Well, after lots of research and even more soul searching, I have officially decided to NOT put wire wheels on my Hype. What I have decided to do is install boobies. Thats right, I am officially installing a pair of tits. I figure they will sit right on the side pannels with the nipples facing forward. Now I just need a donor, Johnchyper, you available for a little surgery? :D
Ha!:DNICE:D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Fuckers, I was way ahead of my time....

:D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bet that got you thinking again.. :think:
You have no idea. I think they will look good with the Quat-D ExBox, desmo challenge tail, and custom paint. The only thing more fun than riding the thing is tearing it apart. Winter project FTW!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I couldn't wait to ditch my wired wheels on my previous sumos... They look cool but they're a pain to maintain/clean and you have to go back to tubes which means instant flat if you meet a nail (unless you get one of these Alpina setups). No way I would ever switch back to these :eek:

·
Registered
346 Posts
I couldn't wait to ditch my wired wheels on my previous sumos... They look cool but they're a pain to maintain/clean and you have to go back to tubes which means instant flat if you meet a nail (unless you get one of these Alpina setups). No way I would ever switch back to these :eek:
Agreed. Tubes are problem... I've only had one tire go down in the past 5 years
(on my Yam Supermoto) and the cause was a pinched tube on installation of a
new tire. I believe the forged Marchesinis are lighter than wires anyway.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm interested to see what the DP wires will weigh and whether or not they will be tubeless. Plus, they look fuckin cool.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
sorry .. my man boobs are none existent.

i am certain cassos will donate his mangina for your little project.

·
7,733 Posts
Agreed. Tubes are problem... I've only had one tire go down in the past 5 years
(on my Yam Supermoto) and the cause was a pinched tube on installation of a
new tire. I believe the forged Marchesinis are lighter than wires anyway.
I would never go with spoked rims that need tubes on any road oriented motorcycle. Tubless spoked rims can be had for some bikes, but otherwise it's a step down/back IMO. No road side repairs, and dangerously fast deflation. :eek:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry .. my man boobs are none existent.

i am certain cassos will donate his mangina for your little project.
Ha,

Sorry for lashing out, I took your comments a little personally. I'm over it. As far as I'm concerned it's water over the bridge, or is it under the dam?

:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts