Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
if you showed a photo of the whole lead, or both ends, etc, it'd be much easier than trying to recognise a terminal like the large one shown. there's very things it could be, and i'm wondering if you have one of them free what else you have arse about.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Problem solves. 100% ground.

Connected one end to a ground and the other to the lead and there is zero current.

Also the power probe detects a ground with a green light and hot with a red light.

Thank you all for your help, MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,327 Posts
If you look at the wiring diagram there are only two wires that would be live at key off and relatively large.
One is to the start solenoid and there should only be one unless a PO added another in parallel to reduce voltage drop.
The other is to the separate fuse to the regulator.

Edit - We were posting at the same time!
Pleased it is ground and resolved. The multimeter is your friend.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks. I think I’m Ok.

I do have one question tho, is the bolt that holds the timing belt cover a good bolt for a ground?

It’s the closest bolt to that grind lead.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,327 Posts
I searched for images online and found a good one that I could zooming on.
Looks like the wire you have.
Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 9.02.36 am.png

Reactions: Norcoastal

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I removed the ignition, starter cable and air box to get access to the solenoid which I did. And son of a bitch, all you guys were right. Hidden in black that matched the solenoid plastic surround, there it was; a two prong socket! Plugged it in and it fit perfectly.

I rattled my brain looking for this answer and it was there the whole time.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Funny story...

I put EVERYTHING back together finally, and as I’m tightening down the final battery box screw and I see it, the two prong plug...it must have slipped out when I was putting it back together.

All I could do as laugh. I put a zip tie around the solenoid to keep the plug nice and sung.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Thanks. I think I’m Ok.

I do have one question tho, is the bolt that holds the timing belt cover a good bolt for a ground?

It’s the closest bolt to that grind lead.
no. if that's the closest bolt then you've done something wrong. the only earth leads on your bike are the one that runs from battery earth to the frame under the lh battery box mount, and the one that runs from the back of the engine cases next to the breather to the inside of the frame at the upper footrest mounting (front screw).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
no. if that's the closest bolt then you've done something wrong. the only earth leads on your bike are the one that runs from battery earth to the frame under the lh battery box mount, and the one that runs from the back of the engine cases next to the breather to the inside of the frame at the upper footrest mounting (front screw).
Belter,

So now I’m more confused.You’re right in that it doesn’t seem right to connect that thick black wire to the engine. Ducati is very precise and seems like they would have been better than that.

So here’s where I am with the wiring. EVERY connector is accounted for and I even found the plug for the fuel level sensor. The only wire I cannot figure out is that black one.

Looking at the diagram of the harness, it appears I have this one wire in question and one wire that isn’t accounted for. And they both could be grounds.

Belter, you said that there are only two grounds; 1) at the base of the engine by the breather (accounted for and attached to the frame) and 2) the negative battery lead that attaches to the case of the battery box.

Look at the two highlighted in yellow. The one by itself on the left is the one I can’t account for, and apparently I’m missing the other highlighted wire that this says goes to the negative battery lead. I don’t see that anywhere.

My Haynes manual came yesterday, so I’m going to dig into that and see if I can uncover anything to help.

Thanks for all of your comments.

upper lower split vs full body

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
maybe if you showed us the fucking bike it'd help. i have no idea what that wire in the parts diagram of the loom is. but i've been working on these things for 26 years and have a pretty good idea what shit looks like and where it goes. man some of you make it so hard to help.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
maybe if you showed us the fucking bike it'd help. i have no idea what that wire in the parts diagram of the loom is. but i've been working on these things for 26 years and have a pretty good idea what shit looks like and where it goes. man some of you make it so hard to help.
Don’t get mad, I appreciate all the help I can get and I’m just asking questions and I ALWAYS say thank you. My first post said that this is a 2000 Monster 750.

This is my 3rd Ducati but the first one I’m rebuilding. I’m pretty good mechanically, but wiring is a struggle.

I know enough to get in trouble.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Hate to ask more questions, but I found something else. I was looking in the Haynes manual and it shows a wire from the rectifier to the battery ground. I went and took a look at my rectifier and found an un attached 4 prong connector.

Now I have to figure where that goes. I “thought” I had all the connectors accounted for.

Frustrating...

Scratch this too

·
Registered
856 Posts
Don’t get mad, I appreciate all the help I can get and I’m just asking questions and I ALWAYS say thank you. My first post said that this is a 2000 Monster 750.

This is my 3rd Ducati but the first one I’m rebuilding. I’m pretty good mechanically, but wiring is a struggle.

I know enough to get in trouble.

Nice pic of the bike but I think you’re being a little too literal. Where is the loose wire? Identify the wire position in the bike. Where does the wire come out of the loom. Don’t show a close up picture of the loom, need to know where it is relative to rest of bike.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I’m always too literal. One of my flaws.

Here are two pictures of the wire.

This is the very thick part of the harness. On the left the main fuse comes out and this loose wire. Then it’s thick for about 6 inches then the oil sender and a positive to the junction that goes to the positive on the battery.

The yellow highlight is the loose wire.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Here it is one the harness. The yellow is the wire in question. The blue is the oil sender and the red is the main fuse.

Does any of this make any sense?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
One more.

Blue is the thick part of the harness, yellow is the loose wire and red is the main fuse.

This loose wire comes out of the thick part of the Harness at the same place the main fuse comes out. They come out together.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So that wire goes to the screw that holds on the battery box, then a jump wire from that screw to the negative terminal?

So basically it’s a negative ground to the battery.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts