Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Working on a low cost digital dash for my microsquirt project. Using a raspberry pi 3 with a 7" screen as the dash, connected via USB to the microsquirt.

3D Scanning front upper stay.

Raw scan data right in the scan software.

Took that data to Solidworks and modeled up a mount.

3D Printed a mock-up out of PLA for test fitment before I print one out an outdoor proof material.

Haven't had time to run over to the garage to test fit it, but it's certainly an improvement over stock.

Here's a quick picture I took while It was just laying in the general area with an example dash loaded (the dash itself is 100% fully configurable).

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
Great idea, bout time someone did this. Ive often wondered about using a small tablet but I imagine the raspberry is probably easier to customise and cheaper.
I'm guessing you are in the CAD industry?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct, more on the 3D printing / 3D scanning side of the industry.

The reason for choosing a raspberry over a tablet were:

RP3+ with the 7" screen was $89.99
It runs Linux so I can actually do tuning with TunerStudio
4 USB ports + micro USB for charging

Waiting on some warmer weather so I can take her to the dyno for some baseline numbers and then I'll be installing the microsquirt.

·
Registered
355 Posts
How does the screen go as far as water resistance and visibility in bright sunlight?
Sky's the limit with functions on something like this, you could add navigation, Bluetooth, phone connectivity, diagnostics, data logging, etc.
I also love the ease of prototype and manufacturing one off/low volume parts with 3d printers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does the screen go as far as water resistance and visibility in bright sunlight?
Sky's the limit with functions on something like this, you could add navigation, Bluetooth, phone connectivity, diagnostics, data logging, etc.
I also love the ease of prototype and manufacturing one off/low volume parts with 3d printers.
There are a number of waterproof screens available for the Raspberry Pi. The particular one I'm using is not, but does have a glass screen, so as long as I seal it well and seal the 3D print, it *should* be ok. But I'll find out the hard way. It does get pretty bright and is fitted well under my tinted windscreen, so it should be alright as far as visibility but will confirm once it's up and running.
I'm adding a 10hz GPS module to act as a speedometer, so navigation is certainly not out of the question. I have a small bluetooth keyboard for it which I can use for tuning after the microsquirt is squared away and will definitely be used for data logging.

It'll be a bit before it's up and running, have to finish the custom wiring harness before I wire everything in.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Such a cool project!

Reactions: boosted1

·
Registered
195 Posts
Correct, more on the 3D printing / 3D scanning side of the industry.

The reason for choosing a raspberry over a tablet were:

RP3+ with the 7" screen was $89.99
It runs Linux so I can actually do tuning with TunerStudio
4 USB ports + micro USB for charging

Waiting on some warmer weather so I can take her to the dyno for some baseline numbers and then I'll be installing the microsquirt.
Is that dash one of the templates of TunerStudio? Awesome project. Curious about reliability though as I've had lots of issues with using the raspberry pi (previous gens, granted) for projects that required long term up time reliability. Might be a non issue here as I don't see the unit being left on indefinitely (really only being on when the bike is on), and the pi3 is much beefier than the ones I started on before moving over to arduinos as they suited my projects a bit better (using an ESP8266 module now, so impressed how far things have come in the last 5 years...)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that dash one of the templates of TunerStudio? Awesome project. Curious about reliability though as I've had lots of issues with using the raspberry pi (previous gens, granted) for projects that required long term up time reliability. Might be a non issue here as I don't see the unit being left on indefinitely (really only being on when the bike is on), and the pi3 is much beefier than the ones I started on before moving over to arduinos as they suited my projects a bit better (using an ESP8266 module now, so impressed how far things have come in the last 5 years...)
It's someones custom dash template. My dash laying will definitely be different. I'm honestly not sure about the long term reliability but most of the issues I've heard about the 3b versions were overheating, I got some aftermarket heatsinks on there so it *should* be ok. Considering they're only $40, not too concerned. It's not actually driving anything, so you'll still be able to ride home if it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts