Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my bike out from it's New England hibernation this past Wednesday and drove it home for the first time this year. Waaaaah Whoooooo! It ran "DA BALLS". I just love that feeling of liberation when you drop that bad boy into gear after what seems to be an eternity away from riding and let that beast breathe!

I just ordered my gold Marchesini wheels, The Ohlins shock and Race Tech stuff is on order from NCRick, I just placed an order for a set of Conti Road Attacks...thanks to Turbo for his raving reviews, and I hope to order the new DID gold chain and sprockets this week. It's gonna be a good year for farkle and bling and I'm very much looking forward to a great riding season!

Thanks for letting me rave. The adrenaline is still flowing! Waaaaah Whooooo! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Know the feeling

I just couldn't resist starting my ST2 in as I passed it in the garage a few moments ago. It's spring time in KY and although I haven't had it out in weeks; the weather is calling us.

I do have a question. The bike is a 2001 and stock as far as I know. I've had it for 2 years. I looking to for some performance upgrade suggestions.

Not as concerned with looks, just better performance at the top end of the torque curve. Seems to run out of steam a little north of 7500 rpm.

Your enthusiasm is contagious.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
They all seem to get flat up top. But you may look at a chip, exhaust and put in a K&N filter. You may also look at either dropping 1 tooth up front or adding a few teeth to the rear sprocket.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I had to site only one thing that I've done to my '01 ST2 that made it more enjoyable, it would have to be the installation of the FIM 161 fuel chip. Granted, I did this along with new DP pipes and I opened up the air box and installed an ITG filter from BCM, but the chip just smoothed things out and seemed to give the bike more power, or at least smoother power.

It really should have run like this from the factory. Gone are the days of popping through the airbox under load or the rough breakup that appeared at 3800 RPM. I read many posts hear regarding problematic engine performance and all I can really think is..."man, I'm soooooo glad my bike runs so great." My vote is for the chip if not already done.

Cheers,

Thomas

·
Registered
193 Posts
BlueST2,

My brother in arms (we own exactly the same bike), you should get NCRick to also get you the chain and sprockets. He gave me a great deal!!

Are you sending your forks to him for the rebuild? He does excellent work!

Sounds like you are right behind me on all the upgrades. Might I also recommend some SS brake and clutch lines. What a difference the brake lines make!

You will have, what will feel like, a brand new bike when you do the suspension upgrades.

Happy farkling!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
... and I still haven't taken mine out. Every weekend, something comes up.

This weekend will be different. Honest. Hopefully, by Monday, I'll be as happy as Blue.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JohnBoy said:
BlueST2,

My brother in arms (we own exactly the same bike), you should get NCRick to also get you the chain and sprockets. He gave me a great deal!!

Are you sending your forks to him for the rebuild? He does excellent work!

Sounds like you are right behind me on all the upgrades. Might I also recommend some SS brake and clutch lines. What a difference the brake lines make!

You will have, what will feel like, a brand new bike when you do the suspension upgrades.

Happy farkling!!
Howdy JohnBoy,

Nice to know that there are a few of us "non-red" Duc guys out there. I do have SS brake and clutch lines from Fren Tubo and will be applying some new Ferodo Sinter Grip ST brake pads to further help with the stoping power. NCRick is going to ship the Gold Valves and springs (0.95kg/mm) to me and I'm going to have my local shop install them which will avoid shipping costs for the forks to and from the state of NC which may hold things up a little bit. My local shop treats me very well.

I would normally give my sprocket business to Rick as well but I'm interested in trying a Stealth Sprocket (steel tooth ring on an alloy body) from Sidewinder Sprockets with possibly a titanium front sprocket which should look nice and clean under my new slotted Cycle Cat cover with the DID ZVM2 gold chain (difficult to find someone who sells the ZVM2 chains and Stealth sprockets).

'06 Will be my big push to finish up my ST because the little lady and I will be house hunting next spring, so the $$$ well will dry up! Eventually I'd like to complete my 2 valver with some MBP heads and BCM's 966 Super ST kit which will yield some significant results. I'll have to see what time and finances will allow.

Regards,

Thomas

Attachments

·
Site Sponsor & Senior Member
193 Posts
"BlueST
Thanks for letting me rave. The adrenaline is still flowing! Waaaaah Whooooo! "
good for you!
we've been spoiled out here in hte west, ok a bit of rain!
however a group of us did a 5 day 1700mil no ca coastal trip over spring break!
only about 2-300 in the rain, !!
I soooooo needed that!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
First ride this season too!

I too was FINALLY able to get the 05 ST3 out of the garage, (along with the wife on her 04 ST3) and take a nice curvy ride down Hwy 14 through the Columbia River Gorge! What a great ride, perfect day, and the cops were nowhere to be seen:D.

The bike sat for 5 months with a battery tender and some sta-bil in the tank; they both fired up right away, and ran beautifully! checked the nuts/bolts/bits, psi and off we went!

Man, I love this bike!

Don:)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spring is in the air folks! Now,...Get out and Ride!!! Waaaaaah Whoooooo! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts