Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i'm on the topic of winter cold during the hottest spring since well.. my exsistence..

i just purchased new summer gloves (alpinestar gp tech 2013 model)
but i really also need new winter gloves and to mee it seems like summer is a good time to purchase these but while i was looking for summer gloves i found none winter gloves that gives protection and insulating padding.

any winter riders that have fancy winter gloves that they are satisfied with?

ps: prefer leather..

Kind greats

Matt

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have been using Olympia's Weather King Gore-Tex gloves and they have done pretty well

https://shop.olympiagloves.com/coll...products/olympia-4102-weatherking-extra-touch

I don't know what kind of temperature is your riding in, I'm in coastal Virginia so it doesn't get crazy cold here but we definitely get teens and twenties. These gloves will hold up but only for so long. I think at some point unless you can inject heat and your gloves you're going to get cold because the wind does a great job at sucking every little bit of warmth out.

I'm thinking of picking up a pair of the Rukka Lobster gloves. I've heard good things about them, and snowmobilers use them so that has to say something for them!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
407 Posts
Take a look at what Klim has to offer , I keep a pair of their Quest in tank bag , they are fully leather with Goretex bonded to inside of leather with high tech insulation , keep hands warm and dry in any conditions .... the Qwest is now discontinued but Klim has other similar on offer
Craig

Reactions: spikey1973

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@VaDuc: i guess you are talking fahrenheit? if so then we're talking about the same temp zones.

i will definately have a look, did just bump into this page that looked

https://inspire.getgeared.co.uk/top-10-warmest-motorcycle-riding-gloves/

and did like the nr 2 held gloves.
also liked the nr 1 with the double cuff system.. but don't like that it's not all leather.

definately looking into goretex and i think i prefer the PrimaLoft (Gold) over thinsulate, but not sure it will actually make a real difference.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I use heated gloves for anything below the 50s F however I have a very low tolerance for cold weather. They are lower on the totem pole of protection but I only paid $119 from them.

Pretty much the same here but I also find it speed and time relative.

At 70+ mph on the highway, all day, after a few hours 50 degrees requires electrics for me. After that long the cold just soaks in no matter what I’m wearing.

Lower speeds and for short rides of less than hour it’s totally different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gennerally speaking.. rides of an hour in lets say around 15 degrees lowest temp, but a lot of lower speed traffic riding and lane splitting. Additionally but i can bear some cold though and would really like to stay away from heated gloves.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You DO have heated grips, right?
While I'm not a fan of Hippo Hands (and I wonder if they'd even fit the venerable ST) there's lots of people who swear by them for cold weather riding.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well.. i didn't even know of there existence.. but i guess i'll just lett them be.
i'm not about spending money just to look good, but this looks a bit to way off for me.
I do get why it could do a great job though.

and yes i heave heated grips, but cheap chinees stuff. so they are of hard plastic.. and would really like to get gloves warm enough so i can loose those things.

kind greats Matt

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just bought a set of these: being the middle of June, I've only worn them twice so far, but I have tested out the heating element and it seems to work fine. From my limited testing, I'll have to wait for some sub 40 degree days before the heat seems to be needed. They are wind proof, water proof, electrified and have a great warranty. Might be worth a look.

https://www.california-heat.com/product-page/gauntlet-glove

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I use "Warm and Safe" gloves and jacket liner, and have for some years. Their high end gloves were good enough that First Gear used to sell them under their own brand, and it may still be the case.

I haven't used their electric pants and socks, since the engine keeps my legs warm and I just through some chemical toe-warmers in the end of my boot and it does just fine. In real cold weather, I sometimes double up for the toe-warmers, one on top and one underneath. Toasty.

Rode down to about 25 degrees with the Warm and Safe stuff on high, and I was kind of OK, just a tad coolish. But I don't do that anymore, since it was usually in the snow and I don't like to deal with the consequences of salt degradation on my bike any more.

Ron

·
Registered
158 Posts
If I might offer an alternate approach to consider... abandon the idea of summer vs winter gloves and think in terms of layers. Two reasons - the gloves themselves and the purpose or goal of hand protection in colder temps.

I want to own a pair of gloves that fit right, don't interfere with my controls or my ability to use them, and protect my hands in the event of a spill. When I find these gloves I want to ride with them all the time because they meet my needs all the time, summer or winter.

I find its mostly wind chill I need to combat when riding in colder temps. I go with an over-glove which provides both rain protection and a wind barrier. If I need even more warmth I can put glove liners on under my riding gloves (although riding in 41F temps last month for many hours one morning I never needed to).

With different gloves you have to spend twice the time finding and breaking in two pairs. And adjust to the bulk when you switch. And have to carry them both with you, or get caught out, as there are bound to be variations in temperature throughout the day no matter where you ride. Also true with an over-glove, but winter gloves tend to be bulkier and can interfere with control; and, I suspect, may compromise abrasion protection. An over-glove packs more easily. They are easy and quick to take on and off. And you're still wearing the riding gloves you love.

As others have noted, grip heaters are advisable whether you use summer or winter gloves. Using a layered approach they are the final component to allow you to ride at near freezing temps for hours; I've ridden with the same gloves at 107F and 41F (in rain and hail) a few days apart on the same trip. The only difference was one layer and grip heaters.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
A thin glove liner can help, if it fits inside your gloves. I have some from Schampa, I think they are. Have heard you can use disposable rubber type gloves for a liner and it helps, have not tried that yet. Hey, it is the first day of summer. Would like to get some heated gloves for those few days a year I might want them. Thinking the kind that run off their own battery, no connection to the bike needed. Just because, easy that way.

Edit, the $119 glove link above is now $159.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts