Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a winter project along the lines of an engine build.

I've got an '01 748 that is stock and the engine would go into that frame.

My thoughts are to find an engine that is need of work, install an 853 kit, and use the Power Commander for the "new" engine. Although it will be cheaper to buy a complete engine, I don't know what parts/years will be compatible for the '01 model engine. Of course, a freer-flowing intake/exhaust will be in the mix.

I don't know if head porting and polishing is a performance mod many use on the Duc or who would be the point-of-contact for that; the 883 Sportster heads I used on a 1200 conversion got a port and polish at Big Boyz Cycles in Maine and the enine dynoed at 80/80 hp/tq.

I would appreciate any help you might offer, particularly compatibility of parts.

Thanks,
Curt

·
grand poobah
714 Posts
Hi Curt, there are lots of good posts in the hall of wisdom for this,as well the search function of this forum is very good. I dont know what kind of engine you would want that needs work but there are 853 parts for sale now on the classified board. You can bolt em on your stock 748. Otherwise 748R heads and R cams would be a good set up for a free-er flowing top end. There is a dude parting a 748R on the classifieds as well. I have not seen one parted in a long time so jump on it if you are serious. The 916 and 996 engines fit in the 748 frame. The 749 and 999 engines require some work to the frame to fit, it has been done though, check out the hall o wis for this. 996 heads are very different from the 748 heads, valves are farther apart they do not cross well. The 916 and 748 are pretty compatable the alternators and rectifiers are different on the latera models. Corse stuff usually needs to be surrounded by other Corse stuff to work. At least in my experience. Ie corse 16.5 wheels need the larger corse axles to fit. Best Wishes Brad

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. The 853 parts are all but gone; should have been quicker with the winter project.

There'll be more, though. I'll just have to be patient.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I had the same project last winter and went with a 996 motor I ended up buying off ebay.....I figured I would build it the way I wanted (powder coated the frame red, etc) worked out nice! I was going the 853 route but decided with the 996 as it was cheaper and had more power! Good luck with the build! Post pic's if you have them!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts