Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't leave nothing alone for long so for this winter, I've decided to swap in a 1000ds engine. I don't have too strict a timeline as long as it's done before my wife gets back from Iraq. She said she wants to ride and also wants to trade up her ninja for a monster when she gets home :eek:

Anyways, got a pretty good deal on a salvaged sport 1000 so I should have most everything I need.

The first thing I found out is a 900 header will not fit on a 1000ds engine without lengthening the front pipe. I'm not sure if I'll buy one for the 1000ss or just reweld my 900 one. I trial fitted my frame on and I will not need to modify the cross bar as the thottle bodies clear it. The engine mount bolts are 12mm for the new engine so I'll have to drill my frame out next (per nichols website).

I'll post updates as I go along. Lots of thanks to Muschi, Catilover, and Ducremus for your thoughts, tips, and tricks.

·
Registered
836 Posts
wow that will be a good mod once you complete it!!
the header issue is a minor thing to worry about too :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
also keep this up to date, this might be something im looking at doing later as a conversion with the turbo, more cubes will be a good thing!!

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Anyways, got a pretty good deal on a salvaged sport 1000 so I should have most everything I need.

that's great, that you have found a reasonable priced
donor machine, after having sold my remaining
SS 1000 DS parts, i came to a good price for my
engine also.

do you plan to ride it with carbs, now that you have
seen, what a mess an EFI wiring loom can be ?

all the best with the conversion,
cheers
Jan :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is quite a bit more wiring. I do like fuel injection though so I'm going to transfer everything over including the gauges. The ecu, relays, fuses, etc. all reside under the tail on the sport 1000 but I don't want to give up any cargo room. I may have to lengthen the harness and relocate some items. I'm hoping the speedo sensor bracket and rear rotor will fit onto my swingarm so I can make the speedo work.

Still a few things to do before I get this frame down to the powder coaters. Once that's done, I can really get going.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
I'm hoping the speedo sensor bracket and rear rotor will fit onto my swingarm so I can make the speedo work.

if the sport classic parts don't interfere, the SS 1000 DS
ones sure will.
these would be to find on ebay rather cheap then.
You could probably use a sensor on your engine's
front sprocket cover also, as this has been done
to some ducatis by the factory, the mh900e in example.

good luck with the wiring loom transformation then.

:)

ah and for the engine mounting bolts:
isn't it easier, to put some 10mm inside/12mm
outside aluminum tubes into the engine's mounting
holes ?
as there is a M10 thread inside your frame's
rear mount if i remember correctly ?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah and for the engine mounting bolts:
isn't it easier, to put some 10mm inside/12mm
outside aluminum tubes into the engine's mounting
holes ?
as there is a M10 thread inside your frame's
rear mount if i remember correctly ?
I wondered about that but I don't know about easier. I heard the 10mm bolts had some failures and that's why Ducati started using the larger one. Either way, do you see a problem with just drilling my frame out? Nichols only sell one size bolt and you have to drill out older frames to use 'em. Seems like it would only be a 20 min. job to drill some larger holes. Seems like the only consideration is making sure the holes are straight.

Also, the 12mm bolts both have nuts so you wouldn't have to retap.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I just assumed Nichols only sold 1 bolt for both but after reading the instructions closely, they must sell the 2 different sizes.

The recessed mounting holes on my frame are a little smaller so the 12mm bolt head just barely fits. As long as there isn't any powdercoat in there, I should be fine. I won't get to work on it until next weekend so it'll give me a little time to ponder.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found that the bolt heads are a little smaller than the nuts. The front right recessed area of the SS is wider than all the other 3 to accomodate the 10mm nut and a socket. The 12mm nut fits in there and decided it wouldn't hurt the rear one to be a little larger. I contemplated just drilling out the threaded portion and retapping it larger but the 12mm nuts are also locking so this seemed like a better route. Here I drilled out the mounting hole. I believe the bit was 7/8"

Next, grinded out all the way to the bottom where the tip of the bit couldn't get.

It started out about 19.5 and now is around 21mm. The nut fit but was worried about the powder coating so I also shaved just a little off the outside of the nuts with the bench grinder. I than drilled out all the mounting holes.

I decided to swap the swingarm next. The swingarm engine width is identical so no problems here. I did find the classic uses a 525 chain (or else the PO swapped out to this). Luckily, the rear sprocket bolts right up. I need to borrow a chain press but I'll do that another day. I also am using the classic gauges so I needed to make the speedo sensor work. You can see how the brackets are different.

I just wanted to use the classic bracket but would also need to use the caliper. It is only a one piston so decided against it. I cut off the mounting tab for the speed sensor and was going to use it as a shim for the new one. I forgot how hard aluminum was to grind down (compared to steel) so I went up to the hardware store and found some aluminum tubes (they are for crimping garage door cables). I put the SS bracket on the drill press and drilled where the meatiest part of the bracket was. It seems the speed sensor is about 2.2mm of space between the sensor and the rear rotor bolt heads. I found a drill bit fairly close to the thickness and used it as a guide.
A little grinding on my spacer, tapped a new hole, and put in a longer bolt--it's good.

I think I won't get my frame back for about 2 weeks but will post up as I make progress.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Wouldn't it have been easier to just put the older SS bodywork on the new chassis? Seems like a lot of effort expended to swap engines.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
the engine swap is a quick and common solution,
the swap of belt SS fairings to the sport classic
would be a crime to the brand ducati itself.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Putting the preferred pre-'99 bodywork on a Sport Classic chassis is "a crime to the brand Ducati itself"? Oh, come on.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
it is expressed too strong maybe, that this wouldn't
be the right kind of conversion.
putting a carb SS fairing to a later SS i.e. bike would
be sort of funny too.

just a personal opinion maybe.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
220 Posts
kinda funny

maybe you can put a honda tail on it?
oh no,that'd be kinda funny too..................:D
each to there own ....................................whatever makes you happy and thats all that matters i guess

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went to change the lock cylinder on the gas tank lid last night but the sport classic one is longer and has more tumblers than the supersport. They do however use the same kind of tumblers. Starting from the bottom, I swapped all the tumblers out and reassembled. Works perfect. I'll be using the sport classic ignition, so it'll be nice to need only one key.

It looks like next week before the powder coating is done.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
did you a had chance to ride the sport classic, before
you took it apart ?
or will it be a "first time" with that engine once finished ?

:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ahhhh, this is where the FCR funds are being spent. Great work old boy. Look forward to following the progress

oh, by the way, I reset the carbs as per the web page links you sent me. Popped them on the bike. Bloody magic. Goes like shit off a shovel. Awesome.

Count

1 - 20 of 105 Posts