Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, how many of you guys drain the oil before winterizing your bike? If so, do you leave it empty or refill will new oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
When is it ever a good idea to leave an engine empty of oil?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Totally agree. Leaving empty is a horrible idea. Just adds to the corrosion risk.

Changing before probably makes marginal difference, but sitting clean makes you feel good inside.

Reactions: Chuckracer

·
comrade moderator
27,355 Posts
I kinda make it a point to time an oil change late in my riding season, but I don't purposely do an oil change to park it for the winter. And if it doesn't need it it doesn't get it. It doesn't matter.

But I definitely wouldn't park it empty.

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
I always leave any vehicle with oil in it at all times. It might keep seals from drying, metal parts from corroding. It makes sure the vehicle doesn’t get started without oil. You would think the wife would know not to run or drive a vehicle with the oil lite on, wouldn’t you ? You expect wife to realize when a car is left on ramps that maybe there was a a reason I didn’t take it down, wouldn’t you ? Apparently the answer to those questions is not as obvious as I thought. My experience is that nothing bad happens because you left the bike with oil in it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I at least ascertain that the oil in the bike is reasonably new prior to it sitting for months, or take it out just before the weather and change it. Most bikes sit in a cold garage and while this, in and of itself is not necessarily bad, it is the change in temperature and the accompanying changes in humidity levels that facilitate condensation both on the inside and the outside of any machine left in ambient conditions. A cold bike in a cold garage in weather that suddenly warms up and humidifies is the absolute worse condition for any machine. Open the door and the warm air and humidity streams in and condenses on cold metal. It's physics. Or perhaps more accurately, thermodynamics. This is how gas tanks rust, even with gas in them. Thus, internal engine parts coated in a film of oil is the only internal protection these parts have, and even then, only some of them.

Leave the oil in the bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,457 Posts
I'll take a different tack. There is no difference if you drain your oil at the end of the season and not refill with fresh oil or just leave the old oil in. The engine internals are still covered with an oil film that is indistinguishable between those two options.

The reason you would like to "change" the oil at the end of the season is to eliminate contaminated oil (contamination by blow buy, etc.). To do that you would need to drain the old oil, add fresh oil, and run the engine to move the fresh oil out of the sump to the rest of the engine that will dilute the contaminants in the residual old oil with the fresh oil.

And, of course, as Monster4Lee says...it'll help prevent you from taking off with minimal oil in the engine come Spring.

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
I do my yearly oil change when riding season is over, along with any other maintenance, so each bike is ready for next year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts