Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine is out, starting with valve adjustment, then possibly more work as needed. Bike is at 8,300 miles, PO never did the 6k mile valve adjust, so it's getting done now. Crazy figures, any advice would help. I've done a 4v adjustment before, it's my first time with the 2v.
Vertical Cylinder Intake: Loaded=.010", Unloaded=.004", so closer is .006"
Vertical Cylinder Exhaust: Loaded=.011", Unloaded=.000, so closer is .011"
Horizontal Cylinder Intake: Loaded=.003", Unloaded=.000, so closer is .003"
Horizontal Cylinder Exhaust: Loaded=.008", Unloaded=.000, so closer is .008"

With that said, each time I pressed on the closing rocker, I could feel it budge down a little bit (with the exception of Horizontal Intake), which doesn't seem right. I don't remember being able to feel the closing rocker slightly budge when loaded. This means all of my closers are too loose right? On 3 of the 4 valves, I couldn't fit any size feeler gauge between the opener shim and rocker arm. In this case all of my openers but 1 are too tight.

The reason I made this post is because I'm confused because all of these values seem so far off, and I'd like someone to assure me that I'm right with my numbers. Is it normal to have this crazy of numbers when adjusting valves past due for the first time? On the 4v bike I did the valve check on, all numbers were very close to perfect with all valves and shims. Thank you..

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
When I bought my 94 monster used it had 4,000 miles. When I did the first valve adjustment at 6,000 miles, I had to change most of the shims. The clearances were well out of spec. It sounds like you are measuring the clearance properly. If the closer clearance is excessive, you will feel a click when you push down on the rocker arm.
Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts