Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting to be photography time. Too cold for long rides. :)

So, today it was cold as heck, about 60, and sunny, but the wind was really blowing. The leaves are changing but compared to up north they suck. Nothing here to see, move along. :(

This little guy was knocking himself out rebuilding his web about every 30 minutes because the wind kept screwing it up. Thus isn't a great picture because of the wind. I had shoot a high ISO and fast shutter to get it. But it is what it is. This little guy was about the size of a BB.

It was actually cool as hell watching him building the web. :).

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1417058431.374081.jpg

·
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took another picture of my little 8 legged friend this morning. This time I used a flash and when it went off I swear I heard a real squeaky "WTF!" :)

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1417209153.282301.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,219 Posts
I normally step on spiders ..
Preying mantises Bother me...

I usually run from them...

Biggest one I ever saw.
I mustered up the courage to get close enuff to take a snap of this MONSTER.
Shovel to compare

·
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Winter here is a real mix. The leaves fall and the weeds grow. Go figure. :)

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1417551246.404677.jpg

·
Still needs a life.
12,487 Posts
I moved to the Seattle area in the summer of 1991. It has been my experience since then that the Puget Sound Region is most likely to get snow between Thanksgiving and New Years. Our chances of snow diminish greatly after the first of the year even though winter has just begun.

It snowed lightly last Friday night (11/28/14) and subfreezing temps since then have kept the snow and ice from melting in the shade. Tuesday (12-2-14) a friend and I went to nearby Chase Lake looking for birds. The lake, a former peat bog converted to a retention pond, was frozen over. My friend was hoping to get photos of ducks sliding on the ice as they landed.

One autumn several years ago someone reported seeing a cayman in Chase Lake. The local police never found it, but they taped off the park until the first frost. Caymans cannot survive temps below 40*F, so the cops figured there was no danger after the first frost.

Photos #1-3: No such luck on photographing skating ducks, but the pond had some nice winter images. With the right angles, a photo spot in the middle of suburbia can appear to be located way out in the scenic countryside.

Photos #4-7: The ice on the lake created interesting patterns. We heard strange loud noises, which my friend concluded was the ice cracking as it melted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,219 Posts
Yup Cool pics and interesting to see for about a day or so then it can get tiring!

Neat Pics and you know what I mean I hope.:D

·
Still needs a life.
12,487 Posts
It snowed a week ago (Friday 11/28/14). The following week was marked by clear but cold days where the high temperatures of the day remained below freezing in the shade. This created winter like conditions in the marsh on Wednesday (12/3/14) which reminded me of that famous scene from the movie Dersu Uzala.

Photos #1-3: With careful composition and cropping, I can remove signs of urban development and recreate what the marsh may have looked like before the area was settled. The tall trees in photo #1 are on the grounds of the Willow Creek Fish Hatchery.

Photos #4-5: The eco-purists must use great imagination to ignore the railroad and marina when looking west across Puget Sound to the Olympic Mountains from the #3 viewing platform.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,487 Posts
Here is the marsh scene from Dersu Uzala that I was referring to. I highly recommend the movie, which was filmed on location in Siberia. Due to the spectacular scenery, it is better seen at a theater than at home on TV.

If you have not seen it, I recommend you rent the original Russian version with English subtitles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3OMD1b82Js

·
Still needs a life.
12,487 Posts
I am glad I posted up those photos from 2014, as I could not remember our last real snowfall. That was our last real snowfall (relatively speaking) until Thursday night/Friday morning (12/8-9/16. I went out in the morning to get some photos before it melted.

Photos #1-2: Back deck

Photos #3-7: Marsh

Photos #8-10: Sunset Ave.

Attachments

·
Official Retired Person
7,299 Posts
Winter here means our camellia blooms. This bush just keeps getting better every year. There appears to be enough buds that we should be seeing these all thru December.

Attachments

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Our Winter So Far...

Yes, it is early. Not even Winter technically. But the tree is decorated and the icicle light are twinkling, so let's pretend. And nature has agreed to join in.

Here's a fantasimal view of the meadow in front of the house....

I do somehow expect a bit ore to come. :wink2:

-don

·
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes sir. Once again winter comes to East Texas. It'd been near 30 the last few mornings. Way too cold to play on the bikes so out comes the camera and I find myself stalking critters around the bird feeder. :)

·
Still needs a life.
12,487 Posts

·
Still needs a life.
12,487 Posts
Big Waves 1-10-17

Tuesday afternoon (1-10-17) my son and I went down to the Edmonds Marina in the hopes of taking more eagle photos like I had taken in the morning. The combination of a seasonal King Tide and high winds produced some large waves that battered the various breakwaters and bulkheads along the Edmonds waterfront. These waves were not as big as those on 11-29-14 that damaged some of the bulkheads, but I thought they were still worth photographing.

1Looking north from Marina Beach.

2-3: The concrete pad at Olympic Beach acts as a landing spot for driftwood. The carcass of a deer was washed up at this location on 1-29-17. Its hide had been removed by the waves and sand.

4: View from the walkway out to the fishing pier.

5-6: Walking out to the newly rebuilt fishing pier. Waves were breaking on the marina's breakwater and spilling inside the marina.

7: My son in the blue Mariners jacket watched the wave action from the protection of one of the new shelters.

8:The owners of these boats are probably thinking that the marina's docking fees are well worth the money.

9-10: The bulkhead to the parking lot near the Senior Center also took a pounding. This bulkhead and the one at the entrance to the marina both had to be repaired immediately after the high waves of 11-29-14.

Continued on next page.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts