Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my situation: I've got a detached garage to store the Monster in, but it has no electricity for me to plug in a battery tender, which would be ideal. I figured I'd just pull the battery like my old R6, but I was looking over the owner's manual yesterday and it looks like taking out the battery is an ENORMOUS hassle. I could pull it up to the house every now and then and just run the battery tender on it to charge it back up periodically as well as it has the factory battery tender connector installed. What would you all do in this situation? Will probably be out of commission until March here in Ohio (maybe 3-4 months tops) and knowing Ohio weather, there will be at least one weekend per month were we get a random ride-worthy day.

-Leave it be, charge it up in the spring.
-Pull it up to the house every X weeks and let it charge up.
-Suck it up and tear through this new Ducati I've never worked on to pull the battery and put it on a tender in the house.
-Other idea: ________________

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Extension cord(s) will bring the needed electricity to your bike inlieu of bringing the bike to electricity.
Thought about that, but the garage is an apartment unit and would need a pretty long cord to reach as well as going over walkway. I would love to be able to do that though, since that would mean I can run the air compressor in the garage instead of taking it back to the house to refill.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
This is what I do with my 999 ( which has a 1038cc overbore kit and HC 13.5:1 pistons in it, cams, port work)....so it's a bear to start in cold weather.
When it's warm out it will start fine....when cold, I'm in PA...I use a PEAK 600 amp jump box. IIIRC it's around $35 bucks. It's basically a motorcycle battery within a sealed box with jumper cables. It's super easy to remove my left fairing so I simply hook the clamps onto the battery and start as usual. It winds the engine faster, starts easier then relying on my 999's YUASA battery and sucking the life out of that. It won't harm anything like a car battery could. It plugs into a wall socket for recharging. I'm not familiar w/ Monsters so I'm not sure if you can get the clamps attached to the battery terminals.....just thought I would mention it anyway...

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Well, if you leave that battery in the bike for 3-4 months without keeping it charged it is going to die. So, that doesnt seem like an option to me.
Your EVO is going to pull power from the battery for immobilizer, ecu, etc, until there is nothing left.

I just did a blog post about this if you are interested: Battery Tender for a Lithium Battery

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Pull the battery.
That's the best method. I pull mine, it's sitting in front me right now hooked up to a BatteryMinder Plus. But it's so easy to remove....and no doubt when I get to take an occasional ride (tomorrow) it will have a bit more punch warm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You definitely should do something here with the battery because letting it sit won't do the bike any good.

The way I see it, you have at least 3 solutions here:
  1. Run an extension cord with a battery tender at the end. It probably needs to be connected every two weeks over night.
  2. Pull the battery which really doesn't seem all that hard but it'll take you probably a hour to pull it and assemble the bike the first time.
  3. At least once a month take the bike for a ride around the block for about 15 minutes (Of course if weather permits). This will give the battery enough time to warm up but will also allow the engine to warm up under some load. Don't just let it sit idling or reving up the engine because that really does no good to the bike.

Good luck!

-Paul

·
Registered
251 Posts
Don't use extension cords, just pull the battery, pulled mine many times. It is easy but takes some time.
Make sure to burn up the tank of fuel to make it easier to manage.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was of the impression you topped the tank off and added stabilizer for winter storage...

·
Registered
212 Posts
+1 ZDM, pull the battery. I also like the Battery Minder plus, I have several of them.

Uli

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
damn it that was annoying. I could barely find half the things the owner's manual says to do. Got about half way through getting it out and gave it up. I'll just find a way to get it on my battery tender every 2 weeks over this winter. Took about 30 seconds to get the battery out of my R6.

On a side note, the large screw holding the tank to the frame that you have to use a wrench to take off, is there supposed to be one on each side? Mine only has one on the right side and the other is missing (aka: was never there when I took the bodywork off).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And another thing, what's the small black container on the bottom-left side of the bike in front of the engine? It's not part of the procedure in the owners manual...

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
damn it that was annoying. I could barely find half the things the owner's manual says to do. Got about half way through getting it out and gave it up. I'll just find a way to get it on my battery tender every 2 weeks over this winter. Took about 30 seconds to get the battery out of my R6.

On a side note, the large screw holding the tank to the frame that you have to use a wrench to take off, is there supposed to be one on each side? Mine only has one on the right side and the other is missing (aka: was never there when I took the bodywork off).
yes only one bolt is installed.

And another thing, what's the small black container on the bottom-left side of the bike in front of the engine? It's not part of the procedure in the owners manual...
emissions canister, your chance to remove and reconfigure the hoses to the euro spec and remove the canister with the euro delete part Motowheels sells.

you can find a tank removal tutorial on youtube.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts