Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am currently not a Ducati owner (ex-Laverda) and was looking at a 1995 900ss and wondered if there are any Winnipeger's that would allow me to test fit (no rides) their 900 of similar vintage? I am unsure if I would fit the bike (6'2", old guy) and am hesitant to make an offer (long distance purchase) without actually sitting on one. I am not worried about the riding so much as the distance from peg to seat. If it is close then I can play with pegs, clip-ons, bars, seat, etc. Any comments, help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Al
Winnipeg

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I'm a bit far to have a test fit on mine, but I'm 6'2, 195 and 54 yrs old. I have a corbin seat, which is approx. 1 inch lower than stock. I can ride mine 250 miles and be home for lunch with no problems. With the corbin the seat to pegs distance is closer than optimal, (slightly tighter than a k1200rs) but it gets my weight lower, and I am really "down into the bike". If you're young in spirit enough to be looking at this bike you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Al - you shoulda been at the Pony Corral tonight, I had my '95 900SS/SP there ;)

PM me and I'm sure we can arrange to meet up.

Cheers

d.

·
Registered
454 Posts
6'2" myself and find the 900SS very comfortable ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
900 - test fit

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I agree Mark, under 200 and young in spirit ... some work to do I am afraid ;-) dienstuhr, PM sent ... and I am often at the Pony Carrol with my daughter ... thanks very much for the offer.

Seeing this '95 http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300345084507&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT on eBay started the recent search. I did not place a bid in time and the auction ended. Perhaps another ...

A

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello again,
I have been shopping for a bit and could not find a clear answer on bikes older than 15 years and not on the RIV admissable list. Are all pre-1994 bikes admissable ... and those newer must follow the RIV listings? I have come across some nice pre-'94 SS examples and noted that they were not on the RIV list and wondered if I should forget about the older SS models? Any comments welcome.

Thanks for the help.
Al

·
Registered
792 Posts
Pleae forgive my ignorance, but what is a RIV list? I'm guessing it must be some sort of insurance rating.

I wouldn't worry too much about an early edition ('91-'94) carbed 900ss. They did seem to have a few weak points, but if you find and purchase a well maintained version most, or all, of the weaknesses would have been exposed and remedied.

What to look for:

Valve guides
Some early 90's models had either soft guides or were assembled with too much valve clearance. This can cause later maintenance issues.

Regulators
Can burn out easily especially on early bikes. Check operation.

Chain adjusters
Earliest models bend and twist the chain adjustment bolts. Changed on later models.

Cylinder studs
Broken studs a problem on earlier bikes. Changed on later models.

Swingarm
Pre 1997 these can break in one of three places. pinch bolts, tab for the shock, or axle point. Strengthened in 1997.

Frame
Early models may crack near the steering stem. 95 and 96 bikes can have weld problems around the steering stem. 98 onwards the frame was much stronger.

Cambelts
Some break before 12,000 miles. Change at 7,500 miles.

Clutch slave problems
Look for fluid loss from master cylinder indicative of slave problems

Carbs
Carbs prone to icing on earlier models

As far as your 'fit' on this model; I am in the 5'9" range, so a bit shorter than you, but I have rearsets on my '96 that make some tall people wince. I'd guess the seat to footpeg relationship would be fine for you given the fairly common sight of a tall guy on a 900ss.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks PSsssp. Do you have any details about the magazine scan you attached? I have not come across that one before. I will add your comments to the 'file' ... I appreciated the info.

The RIV-Registrar of Imported Vehicles (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-importation-usa-vafus-list-section8_0-614.htm) is the official listing of what is admissable or not to Canada. The list does not clearly (for me) cover pre-1994 bikes and I was unsure of the rules.

One of the issues I have is the 900 may have to be purchased without ever seeing/riding the bike. This '92 (http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/1391851513.html) is a good example of a possible 'long distance' purchase. I would have to trust that the seller is honest and accurate. Never the less the search is fun.

I am partial to the 1/2 faired 900s ... which leads me to the early 900s, modified SS/SPs or perhaps an 'upgraded' SS/CR.

I am patient so it may take time.

Al

·
Registered
256 Posts
Al - worry not my friend! :D

"Vehicles over 15 years old
All vehicles (except buses) that are 15 years old or more from the date of manufacture, are exempt from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) program. You must be able to prove the age of the vehicle to the Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA). Buses (including school buses) manufactured before January 1, 1971 are also exempt from the RIV program. More information about RIV exemptions."

from the FAQs on the RIV site: http://www.riv.ca/HelpFAQs.aspx

All you'll have to do is pay tax and perhaps duty at the border and you should be good to go.

Cheers

d.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thanks PSsssp. Do you have any details about the magazine scan you attached? I have not come across that one before. I will add your comments to the 'file' ... I appreciated the info.

One of the issues I have is the 900 may have to be purchased without ever seeing/riding the bike. This '92 (http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/1391851513.html) is a good example of a possible 'long distance' purchase. I would have to trust that the seller is honest and accurate. Never the less the search is fun.

I am partial to the 1/2 faired 900s ... which leads me to the early 900s, modified SS/SPs or perhaps an 'upgraded' SS/CR.

I am patient so it may take time.

Al
Glad to be of help. The article is one I saved from a British rag a few years ago; I don't remember the name.

If you find a potential bike in some non-local (highly likely) location, I'd suggest putting the power of the interweb to work and use the knowledge base of the SS experts here.

I'd be willing to check out any potential bike in the northern San Francisco Bay area. I'd guess that, among others, MarkG would be available in SoCal, Edwyun might do you a favor in NY, Bruce19 in New England, etc. A whole bunch of digital photos and the third party opinion of someone who is familiar with these bikes could really make your purchase much less nerve wracking.

The half fairing to full fairing swap is no big deal. In fact, a post '96 SS/SP with half fairings would be the best of all worlds. I'd stay away from most SS/CR versions as the cost isn't that much less, but the content (at least from the factory) is significantly less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THx PSssp. The wonder of the 'net .. it never ceases to amaze. I have a feeling that the mag may be Classic Bike (at least by the look) and will look around for a copy. Your advice regarding the 1/2 fairing 'look' I like is appreciated. It jives with what I have read on the 'net over the last few weeks and a +'96 SS/SP that I could swap the fairing on seems to be a prudent path. I have come across a very nice '97 SS/SP in Ohio that could be the one ... any forum members in that neck of the woods? I have contacted the owner to see if it still available and have also asked for a shipping quote. A bit of math and we will see.

Al

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good Day Laverda
If you happen to find one in the interior of BC, I would be willing to check it out for you (time permitting of course). I bought my 94 SS CR in July 08, when we were looking for my wife's this spring we had 3 to choose from. A 96 SS full faired for $6800, a 96 SS CR for $9800 asking but willing to deal (could have been had for about $7500), and a 95 SS CR for $5800. All 4 were within an 8 hour drive (2 lower mainland, 1 Okanagan, 1 Calgary). We bought the cheaper one it was in Calgary. I tried going to dealers but none of the nearest dealers gave a sh** about older bikes. Try posting a wanted ad here http://ducwc.ca/phpBB3/index.php. If you have patience you should be able to find one here in Canada. But prices are cheaper in the USA and our dollar is fairly high right now so I could see why you would buy one from the states.
Dave

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi Laverda

If the Ohio bike doesnt work out for you , Im putting my 96 SS SP up for sale. Its in good condition 11000 and change miles on her , im the second owner. Mods:
-POR 15 tank interior
-Nichols crankcase breather
-39 tooth rear sprocket
-1000SS rear Ohlins shock
-Forza carbon low mount slip ons
-jet kit with option to run w/o airbox lid (im running it with the lid in place ...quieter)
-Nichols kickstand bolt (defeats suicide stand feature)
-Powerlet starter wire/battery wire upgrade
bike runs terrific, no trackdays , carefully maintained.
pm me your e-mail address and i can send you some pics if youre interested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thx CaribooBC/Dave. I appreciate the offer :) I was in contact with a fellow in Fernie/Cranbrook that had '95 900SS (http://cranbrook.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-1995-Ducati-Supersport-W0QQAdIdZ155429402) with some engine mods (details below) but was concerned that the bike might be a bit 'edgy' for the commute (more edgy ;-) Ha!). The bike was going for 5K and I felt I could probably find a lower mileage, well maintained example in the US for less $$ .... even after shipping, duty, etc. (I think??)

I would prefer to keep the transcation in Canada if possible but have found that the Canadian prices are much higher than the US. I also rarely come across a Ducati in Winnipeg for sale ... there was 1 '99 750SS that came up in the last few months.

Al

PS PM sent dk

Mods to the 900...
"At about 10000km the motor was taken to Ducati calgary and rebuilt with high compression pistons ,shaved heads and custom gaskets. compression was brought up to 12.5-1. The sp cam was upgradded for something a little more aggressive.Head bolts are the newer black higher strength ones.Carburation was given a stage 2 kit and intake was opened up with k&n.Exhaust was upgraded with termignoni high rise pipes.High test fuel is all thats required for a very strong running aprox 100hp+ and 70+ lbs/ft torque.the head tube developed a hairline crack and was welded(very common). Ducati will replace the frame at no cost if desired.It never bothered me as I can barely see it and it has absolutely no effect on anything.I run a 40 tooth rear spocket for excellent acceleration and just the right ratios for pulling hard out of corners from 3500rpm.The nice thing about this whole setup is that the motor doesnt need to be abused at all ,ever.There you go I think thats about it.It is truly a great motorcycle that i would trust to take me anywhere. p.s the clutch is barnett racing"

·
Registered
662 Posts
....I would prefer to keep the transcation in Canada if possible but have found that the Canadian prices are much higher than the US. I also rarely come across a Ducati in Winnipeg for sale ... there was 1 '99 750SS that came up in the last few months....
I can understand wanting to keep it local if possible; less hassle, ability to inspect etc. Thing is, there is a ton more product at way better pricing shopping in the US. That especially goes for Ducatis.

There is no issue with bringing anything back 15 yrs or older and rarely a problem if it's newer than 15 yrs old as long as it was originally sold for road use in the USA. Count on $575 USD to ship it to the border and then run down to pick it up. Lots of folks here can help you with the details....I've done four now and working on the fifth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well ... I have been fortunate in coming across 2 very nice examples of a 2v. One from a fellow forum member ('96) and another at dealership in the US ('93). As far as the latter goes has anyone had any experience with the Brookside Motorcycle Company in Tulsa?

Wisdom to share: I contacted Ducati NAm about the Recall Clearance Document and learned the following ...

-it is no longer free
-the bike in question must be taken to an authorized Ducati dealer who will then inspect the vehicle for 'compliance' (recall work, VIN ,SOC, etc)
-the dealer submits the findings to Ducati
-Ducati sends a letter to the dealer
-the dealer then provides a printed copy to the new owner
-this document will then be used during the registration process
-the fee is $500 (non-negotiable) as it is charged by Ducati to the dealer, who then pass it on to the owner (at least this is what the shop said)
-then onto the RIV inpsection at a different RIV 'friendly' facility

Hence the investigation into bikes older than 15 years old. Comments appreciated. Thanks.

A

·
Registered
662 Posts
Well ... I have been fortunate in coming across 2 very nice examples of a 2v. One from a fellow forum member ('96) and another at dealership in the US ('93). [/B] in Tulsa?

Wisdom to share: I contacted Ducati NAm about the Recall Clearance Document and learned the following ...

....Hence the investigation into bikes older than 15 years old. Comments appreciated. Thanks.
Other than a bit of time and the $500.00 the recall clearance process is not a big deal. I've done it. Mind you, adding the $500 to the $195 RIV fee adds up. However, remembering that the RIV 15 year clock starts on build date, you can already start shopping for some 1995 models with a late '94 build date.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Other than a bit of time and the $500.00 the recall clearance process is not a big deal. I've done it. Mind you, adding the $500 to the $195 RIV fee adds up.
That new $500 fee is ridiculous! When I imported my 900SS in 2006 I got the recall letter directly from Ducati NA, it took one email asking nicely and the pdf of the letter was in my inbox the next day! I guess they wised up and discovered that importation could be a profit center :rolleyes:

d.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts