Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Toady's silly question is extra silly because I did not post yesterday...

My windshield...is not perfectly square. I mean the left hand corner is slightly lower then the right hand side. It is so close to "right" only a person like myself who notices such stuff would notice or care...

The frame is pristine. No cracks in the paint, no evidence of a crash or a drop or a repaint.

Now... in my bike building history I have encountered a number of instances where such visually non-perfect situations occur and I have been told- they all do that... many times.

Am I nuts? Well the answer may be yes, but the question remains... are your windshields "square"?

And is it possible to "gently" alter the frame- like with a tool of some sort to just bend it a little? When I push on it, it feels pretty stiff. Further I really don't want to disassemble the top end of the bike unless there is a reasonable chance it can be "bent" successfully. Plus I fear that the chance to really screw things up is pretty big...

Your thoughts and experiences welcomed.

Speaking of Windshields... is there any way to (easily) clean the lower inside portion without taking the shield off?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You need to make some measurements with the bike on a rear (swingarm) stand. Check each side's dimension from ground to the windshield support, to see if they are the same. That support structure is fabricated from tubular steel and is pretty stiff. If its bent it almost had to result from a tip-over or crash. Ask the former owner why the bike was repainted.

Yes, its difficult to clean the underside of the windshield near the gauges.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my 95 900 SP, the left upper side windshield is higher. I dropped the the bike the day I got it slipping on a gas spill at a gas station. I'm not sure if the windsheild was already this way before the drop. There is a thin metal tube that supports both sides and I'm sure it may have bent.

I'm like you....I notice EVERY imperfection on my bike and this one bugs everytime I'm cleaning it or admiring it from a far.:D I'm just waiting for a good excuse to remove all the body fairing to do my investigation. I'll let you know what I find....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have noticed the same thing on my '99. It is hard to notice, but it is certainly there. I've caught myself inspecting the disparity when I really should be looking where I'm going...:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts