Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All tied up for several days, no chance to ride.
It's getting really, really hot. Thinking about taking the windscreen off the MTS and make that my urban/commuting ride.

Anyone tried it? Pros and cons?
PS: 2016 DVT

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve owned a 2004, 2011, and currently ride a 2016 Multistrada and my only complaint for all of them is the wind noise. I use a Schuberth C3 Pro helmet and at highway speed, if I stand up the autogain function actually turns my music DOWN. I rode my 2011 from Denver to Indianapolis and removed the windshield before I left because it is quieter. I think you’ll be happy riding without it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a factory windscreen I cut down to the size of the pikes peak addition and painted black (on the back side). Looks great and fresh air is less turbulent. Factory setup is lousy!!

I also have a touring screen that I use that is taller than Factory and I spaced it out so air can go behind. That is also a pretty good setup and blocks rain to an extent

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
I used to take the screen of my Hyperstrada each summer. Getting a little air into the jacket and helmet vents was the top priority. For my Multi, I put on a knockoff Carbon fiber stubby like the PP model. That's all I ever use now, but winter isn’t really a thing here.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The 1260 Pikes Peak comes with two screens. The taller clear polymer screen is still in the box with the factory film on it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Puig makes a "race" screen which is very similar in size to the PP. Comes in Clear, Smoke and Dark. I run that in the summer.
Thanks for the heads-up. I don't have the link right here, but someone makes a bikini screen that just barely covers the screw heads.

EDIT: Found it - It's MRA

·
Registered
293 Posts
The CalSci shorty is almost identical to the MRA Sport screen above, just a few shades darker. It's much better than the stock screen, which IMO is pure garbage, but the real problem with wind noise on these bikes isn't the size of the screen, it's the location and angle. If you're taller than the average Italian motorcycle tester (5'6"?) the stock screen angle just funnels air right towards your ears.

Unless you're willing to do something about that, either via spacers or a deflector, you would be better off running no screen, especially in the heat.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AXS, funny you should say that. I run this deflector on the stock screen. Buffeting and roar are gone. It's adjustable in angle (more air, less air) and in height.
I think I'll get the bikini screen and get another of this deflector to scoop air to the midsection.
Will report back.

·
Super Moderator
8,200 Posts
I swear by my shorty. Good up to about 80mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pictures of my cut down OEM screen. Found a pattern in a forum, taped it up and carefully cut it and sanded the cut edge. After a little sanding so the paint would stick, Sprayed the back with flat black

·
Registered
98 Posts
delhess, I thought about cutting down my OEM, but now I'm thinking about using my OEM screen as a form so that I can cast a mold of it with something like Plaster of Paris. Then I'll get a sheet of Dark Gray acrylic sheet and form that in my oven over the mold. I'll then cut it to shape and drill it. I'm pretty sure that'll cost less than $30 for the materials. The forming temperature for acrylic is between 290F and 325F, so we all have the way to do this.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Kinda disappointed to see there isn't a $15 amazon special screen for the Multi like there was for my S1000R

·
Registered
689 Posts
Kinda disappointed to see there isn't a $15 amazon special screen for the Multi like there was for my S1000R
Not quite $15 but Motowheels has a short screen for around $80.

You guys have inspired me to find the short carbon screen that came with my PP. I've never installed it, but am interested to see what it's like without the larger screen. I think my GPS will need to be repositioned. I'll do the swap tomorrow and take some photos.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Quick look at the factory short CF windscreen that came with my PP. The GPS sits a little bit above, but not too obtrusive. I just ordered a Navihalter Mount to see if that works a bit better than my homemade setup. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
delhess, I thought about cutting down my OEM, but now I'm thinking about using my OEM screen as a form so that I can cast a mold of it with something like Plaster of Paris. Then I'll get a sheet of Dark Gray acrylic sheet and form that in my oven over the mold. I'll then cut it to shape and drill it. I'm pretty sure that'll cost less than $30 for the materials. The forming temperature for acrylic is between 290F and 325F, so we all have the way to do this.
That might work. I had the advantage of a friend giving me his OEM so if I screwed up or didn't like the result I could go back to OEM.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts