Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Mr Leakered
8,918 Posts
I agree that the well nuts suck, but there are not many options for blind fasteners. Also, the rubber bit cushions the contatct surfaces somewhat.

For me, I found that some light oil on the threads helps (heavy lube on the bottom screws by the header). Don't get oil on the nut inside the well nut or it will spin in the boot.

Also, getting a set of allen bits for a screwdriver/drill really helps. Obviously, there is a need to be very gentle and finish the tightening by hand, but being able to spin the screw with the drill and while having a finger on the well nut is very helpful. I found that I can reach each on except for the one by the coolant tank.

BTW, I ordered some bits from desmoparts (well nuts, nylon washers, and a couple bolts). Very reasonably priced and fast delivery.

Have a good one.

· Mr Leakered
8,918 Posts
If you go too far you will crack the fairing, the plastic isn't that strong.
I completely agree. I use the drill to get the screw started in the well nut. Prior to the drill/powered screwdriver, I have found myself blindly spinning the screw at vaious angles to get them to catch in the well nut. A finger on the well nut and a finger on the trigger goes a lot easier and prevents me from poping the well nut out the backside. I don't let the head of the screw go in it far enough to touch the plastics while attached to drill. I should have been more clear in the previous post.

Besides all the Dzus stuff. I found myself procrastinating on some work without LT's fairing brackets. Now that I have them mounted up, I find myself pulling the side fairings off just to take a peek.

Have a good one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.