Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMO Ducati did a pretty good job on the 2013 screen. It adjusts easy and for me there was no turbulance even on the hywy behind trucks. However, I was getting a lot of wind noise even with my Schubert C3.

The solution for me was a screen from California Scientific. They are not well known but I've used them on BMW R1200GS, F650GS, and R1200RT with great success. The main feature is a hole in the screen that eliminates back pressure. And no, the rain doesn't pour thru the hole. I've owned four of the screens and that has never been an issue. Mark, the owner, is a scientist. Maybe he can explain why.

I'm 5'8" and ordered the medium screen. It is 2"s higher and 1 1/2 inches wider. Even at the top position I easily look over it. The noise is gone regardless of speed and there is no turbulance even behind trucks. It is optically correct so even if you look down thru the screen there is no distortion.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Hey Hap, so a couple questions.
I too am 5'8-5'9" with 30" inseam. Never had any buffeting, but very loud wind roar, pretty much irregardless of position or helmet being worn. I cut mine down to just cover my naviholter and GPS'r- better- but still bloody noisy.
(I'll post pic's of what I did when I get back home.)
I have been looking at the calsci, I think they are the only ones at this point that have one for the 13.
So the medium worked for decreasing the noise? A lot? Low position and Hi? I have been thinking about the extra large or riding out to Sacramento to demo them. I hate to buy one that is too large and have to cut it or ship it back and do over. Any elaboration on your findings would be much appreciated. It would be nice to have at least a semi quiet pocket and be able to listen to music with earbuds. As is now, volume has to be way hi and you still hear the roar. It kind of defeats the purpose.
Thanks

link to calsci below

Ducati Multistrada 1200 Windshields

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Raebear,

Being able to go to the CalSci facility and test would be a great solution. The screen mounts to the bike easily using the stock fittings.

On my other bikes the CalSci was so quiet I rode with out earplugs. On the Multi, the screen is noticeably quieter than stock. So far ive continued to use foam ear plugs but am able to hear the music easily from the helmet's bluetooth speakers. I suspect it would be fine without the foam plugs but I'm used to them.

I don't notice much noise difference regardless of height adjustment. Mostly a matter of airflow. For that reason I think the medium would be fine for guys our size, also have 30" inseam. However, you can always get the larger and have it cut down if necessary.

Hap

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Hap- talked to Mark for a while Friday and he recommended a medium for me as well, should be here Tues. won't get to test it probably till Friday. Will let you know.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I love seeing a scientific approach to things like windscreens. However in the "aerodynamics" section he incorrectly states that the area behind the screen is a low pressure area, it is actually a high pressure. Could be a typo, but kinda a key bit of information when it comes to fluid flow. :think:

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I love seeing a scientific approach to things like windscreens. However in the "aerodynamics" section he incorrectly states that the area behind the screen is a low pressure area, it is actually a high pressure. Could be a typo, but kinda a key bit of information when it comes to fluid flow. :think:
directly behind the windscreen is a lo pressure area. wind hitting the screen and being moved= hi pressure, hollow area behind screen = lo pressure, where wind flow contacts rider = hi pressure. think about water flowing around a rock, the eddy area behind the rock is a lo pressure area

·
Registered
530 Posts
directly behind the windscreen is a lo pressure area. wind hitting the screen and being moved= hi pressure, hollow area behind screen = lo pressure, where wind flow contacts rider = hi pressure. think about water flowing around a rock, the eddy area behind the rock is a lo pressure area
This is a common misconception since it is counter intuitive.

One of the foundations of fluid mechanics is Bernoulli's principle which in part states that the higher the velocity of a fluid, the lower the pressure. Conversely the lower the velocity, the higher the pressure.

Fast moving air over the windscreen is at a lower pressure than the relatively stagnant air behind the wind screen.

Remember in high school when they used a shop vac to levitate a ball? The ball stays in the air stream because the air flowing around the ball is at a lower pressure (higher velocity) than the stagnant air in the room which is at a higher pressure (lower velocity). The high pressure air essentially pushes the ball back into the air stream.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Bernoulli's principle where it applies is correct, in laminar flow and to a lesser extent in turbulent flow. The leading and trailing edge of an object moving through a 'liquid' is not one of them. Another example- drafting- why does it work? because directly behind a moving object is an area of such little pressure it is almost vacuum like. The air speeding over the top of a wing has less pressure than the relatively slower air underneath it, thus lift. The pressure on the leading edge of the wing is considerably higher than that at the trailing edge. The entire idea and purpose of a windshield is to create a non turbulent low pressure pocket to sit in. The buffeting some experience is the result of the-(laminar) air speeding around the shield and collapsing the pocket of lo pressure right on the rider creating turbulence. Another example why to do you shield a match to light it, the shield creates an area of calm lo pressure in which to do so. Look at a vehicle in a wind tunnel when smoke is released, directly behind the vehicle is an area of lo pressure, creating drag.

the ball stays aloft because of the pressure exerted on the interface

A wing is a bad example of the leading trailing edges because it is specifically designed to decrease drag and ancrease lift.

one more example -plunge your hand into a moving body of water or air, which side of your hand has more pressure? the leading edge- always- except in a vacuum.

·
Registered
496 Posts
thats way to much science here...

If it makes the ride better then I am in. I love my Multi ( 2011 thanks) but the Short V stream and the stock do not cut it.. literally.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Shorty smoked screen from Cal SCi

I am also considering getting the Cal Sci screen. Although I don't really mind feeling wind, I do not like the wind roar inside the helmet...in fact I have tinnitus in both ears (ringing 24/7) which may have been caused by years of wind noise on bikes.

So if I could cut down on the wind roar, that would be a big plus in my book. I see that Cal Sci also offers a "shorty" screen that looks smoked in the pics. On their website the testimonials indicate that the riders use the shorty screen for short trips and the taller shield for longer trips.

Before I order anything, just wondering if anyone has any experience or insight?

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Kolpen- it is such an individual thing. Hap seems very happy with his, people I know personally love their CalSci screens- Honda, Triumph, HD. I did see on here somewhere where one of our cohorts thought his medium Cal Sci caused buffeting. I don't remember his exact height but he was a taller chap.

The wind roar is my bane as well, it is tolerable with good ear plugs firmly seated, but still loud and makes music listening untenable. I should get mine tomorrow and test on Friday. Will report back.

Mark from CalSci is very knowledgeable, personable and seems to have an excellent reputation as far as exchanges and customer service.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I recently bought a Fabbri windscreen (shorty). Wish I could tell you whether it is any good, but I just haven't had time to ride recently. I'll post up something later this week if the weather (and life) cooperate.
J

here's a link for a picture- I can't recommend it for riding yet, since I haven't tried it, but it looks good in the box:rolleyes:
Fabbri Sport Screen Ducati MultiStrada 1200, PJ's Parts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Raebear,
What things like work, family, eating, sleep interfering with your riding???
Com'Man get your priorities right. We are waiting for your report!!!!

I know a lot of Connie workers love, these windscreens and fixed there problems.
Seriously, this could be our answer. I am considering this same fix but may try the short screen first.
Let us know what you find out.
RC

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Raebear,
What things like work, family, eating, sleep interfering with your riding???
Com'Man get your priorities right. We are waiting for your report!!!!

I know a lot of Connie workers love, these windscreens and fixed there problems.
Seriously, this could be our answer. I am considering this same fix but may try the short screen first.
Let us know what you find out.
RC
On call to the Hospital 24/7 a week at a time with a 20 m response time :mad: - otherwise I'd find time :D

I cut down my stocker, it helped; but still way noisy. Will post up the whole ugly and hopefully good results with pic's this weekend.

·
All weather biker
965 Posts
I placed an order for a medium today, I'll report back when it arrives. Irish wind/rain should be a good test. ;)

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
So in the ongoing roar saga.....

Stocker- way noisy- remove mirrors a little better, remove shield way better, mirrors back on, might actually be a little better, shield back on sucks a$$ lol.

Idea- stocker sucks so cut four inches off across the top, test; if that doesn't work a little angle work if that doesn't work a little more. Well... the long and short of it- as I was making the first cut; not as carefully as I should it cracked, so I went to the final cut shown here.

900 miles later, helped a fair amount, no buffeting induced, still more noisy than I would like. The roar became less and more monotone.

Yesterday received CalSci Medium, ordered it last friday after talking with Mark a little bit, he got it out the same day Thanks Mark. Put it on last night and took it out today for a very short test. Just a few miles but 80mph and above:rolleyes: Way better! Still look clearly over the screen and would do so as well with the large in the lo position, just not sure if I wanna go up in size. Friday I will take it out and put some real miles on it and report back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
jaylb does apparently and reports--LOUD

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone have the MTS GT.....is that stock screen any better?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Nope.. its loud as F*. I have only my old 650 GS to compare it to.. but the wind noise is atrocious. I've only been riding it for a few days.. but its pretty loud regardless of what height i adjust it to.

1 - 20 of 324 Posts