Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not long ago I posted a couple of windscreens for sale/trade in the classified section. I ended up trading windscreens with jheurte and it seems like we are both happy with the trade. The trade made me think that it would be cool if we had a place to list/ trade our Multistrada windscreens with other members. All transactions would be even trade with no money changing hands. I am sure that I am not the only one with a couple of windscreens collecting dust while still spending $$$ looking for that magic screen.
What do y’all think and how do you think it can be done??

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
I’ve seen something similar done on one of the HD forums. Only difference was the windscreen manufacturer made a screen available and people would basically try it for a week or so and then pay to ship it to the next person.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
After Greg (13S) and I experimented while riding cross country I think I know what the ideal windscreen would look like... and if true then there's no single screen solution.

What we found was that you could stop the buffeting completely using the stock screen if you blocked the airflow right where my hand is on both sides (don't mind the wood chips... chainsawing today while the weather is nice):

Of course the problem with that is that you need that space to allow you to turn... so while I've seen some side-screen attachments I don't know how they'd be workable on the multi.

Attachments

Reactions: 2wheelmike

·
Registered
46 Posts
The perfect windscreen for this bike seems to be a unicorn. It's literally the ONLY thing about the bike that annoys me. Mine is about 85% good, and I know exactly what I need to do to make it perfect...but nobody makes the right screen :(

·
Registered
259 Posts
The perfect windscreen for this bike seems to be a unicorn. It's literally the ONLY thing about the bike that annoys me. Mine is about 85% good, and I know exactly what I need to do to make it perfect...but nobody makes the right screen :(

I’m 6’0” with a 30 inch inseam, so a long torso. Stock screen sucks. Picked up a Pikes Peak screen used yesterday and I mostly like it. More wind force on me, but less buffeting and noise. And it looks pretty badass IMHO. White stripe doesn’t match anything but that’s ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm going to pull the trigger and order one of these for my 16 P/P this morning, saw a link to this company on this forum or another I forget,
but it is 2 inches taller and 2 inches wider on each side ..and with some curvature ...should work better for my 6'2 height and the extra width will cut down on the shoulder turbulence
I have a set of the screen risers purchased from one of our members here (crazy johnny) they work good for pushing/moving the flow over my helmet , and cutting the back pressure
but I need more width , according to the testing I've done with the bike on cruise control and moving my hands around

Any one here listening tried one?
I'll let ya'll know how it is once I get it

cheers

7JuRock - Ducati Multistrada 1200 2015-2017

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
I'll be curious how you get on with it @Quaaack. I think a few have purchased these and have been happy. I have the Puig touring screen which is the same height as the screen that comes with the GT...the biggest improvement was when I added the Puig Visor.

The combo of extra curvature and risers you're purchasing should make for a decent combo.

I look forward to your review.

A couple good threads here on this topic:
DVT
Gen II (2010-2014)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'll be curious how you get on with it @Quaaack. I think a few have purchased these and have been happy. I have the Puig touring screen which is the same height as the screen that comes with the GT...the biggest improvement was when I added the Puig Visor.

The combo of extra curvature and risers you're purchasing should make for a decent combo.

I look forward to your review.

I’ve heard for tall people you either need to go high or go low. I went with low. :p

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
I’ve heard for tall people you either need to go high or go low. I went with low. :p

I'm only 5'10" and the only reason I went in search of a shorter screen was to block less wind. I went to the other end of the spectrum and got a sport MRA screen...it's so short that I got wore out riding the bike with all the wind hitting me. It was relatively clean wind but all that constant pressure (I was going a bit fast) was noticeable after riding a couple hundred miles. I may try a short Puig screen next...it's in the middle b/w the touring screen and the MRA.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm only 5'10" and the only reason I went in search of a shorter screen was to block less wind. I went to the other end of the spectrum and got a sport MRA screen...it's so short that I got wore out riding the bike with all the wind hitting me. It was relatively clean wind but all that constant pressure (I was going a bit fast) was noticeable after riding a couple hundred miles. I may try a short Puig screen next...it's in the middle b/w the touring screen and the MRA.

I’m a little worried about that too. We’ll find out on my first long day with this bike.

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
So in looking at the 7Jurock site...it's over $40 to ship to me in the Atlanta Suburbs. I asked them about this and they said it's accurate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2015 multi windsheild

I have a California Scientific shield and I love it. Cuts down on buffing at speeds above 55. I am 5' 9" and got the large size.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wind Blockage Side Wings on BMW

Interesting observation by Dave and the hand experiment. My BMW Hexhead has the best wind solution of all my bikes and is near perfect. It has the side wings that Dave alluded to. I use that bike for long distance and also gravel washboard roads.

Here is the picture. Perhaps something similar might work with the DVT although the Wunderlich screen is more vertical than the multi - which might make a difference.

The germans probably spent more time in the air tunnel.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm going to pull the trigger and order one of these for my 16 P/P this morning, saw a link to this company on this forum or another I forget,
but it is 2 inches taller and 2 inches wider on each side ..and with some curvature ...should work better for my 6'2 height and the extra width will cut down on the shoulder turbulence
I have a set of the screen risers purchased from one of our members here (crazy johnny) they work good for pushing/moving the flow over my helmet , and cutting the back pressure
but I need more width , according to the testing I've done with the bike on cruise control and moving my hands around

Any one here listening tried one?
I'll let ya'll know how it is once I get it

cheers

7JuRock - Ducati Multistrada 1200 2015-2017
I'll be VERY interested to hear what you think of this set up, as it's my next option. I did the same thing as you, put the bike in cruise control and moved hands around to see what works best. For reference I'm using the stock screen with the MRA X-Creen Tour variable mounted. It has helped alot, but what I really need is for the whole windscreen to be wider on top. I'm trying to get a set of the risers from KrazyJohnny, then I will add the the 7jurock screen. Crossing my fingers that it will do the trick!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I am 6'2" and the stock screen on my '09 MTS didn't cut it for me, I was actually very surprised at how much wind was able to get to my face and chest given that this is marketed as a touring bike. Not sure how much the design has changed on the later bikes, they look about the same location, angle, and size on the newer multis. I found that I was actually trying to tuck in behind the screen when riding the superslab like I was on a sportbike but the footpeg location clearly doesn't help with that. I ended up buying a really (I mean REALLY) inexpensive clip-on extension that raises my screen about 4" for $23 on that auction site which makes a HUGE difference in how much wind hits my head/face. I still do get a lot of wind on my torso, I'm going to see if that air is coming through by the handlebars as in DaveK's photo on my next ride. My guess is that's where it's coming from. Not sure if there's anything to be done about it if that's the case.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am 6'2" and the stock screen on my '09 MTS didn't cut it for me, I was actually very surprised at how much wind was able to get to my face and chest given that this is marketed as a touring bike. Not sure how much the design has changed on the later bikes, they look about the same location, angle, and size on the newer multis. I found that I was actually trying to tuck in behind the screen when riding the superslab like I was on a sportbike but the footpeg location clearly doesn't help with that. I ended up buying a really (I mean REALLY) inexpensive clip-on extension that raises my screen about 4" for $23 on that auction site which makes a HUGE difference in how much wind hits my head/face. I still do get a lot of wind on my torso, I'm going to see if that air is coming through by the handlebars as in DaveK's photo on my next ride. My guess is that's where it's coming from. Not sure if there's anything to be done about it if that's the case.
I think we may have the same setup. I just got my bike in November, meaning I've had about 5 days of rideable weather (I'm in Canada), so I don't have all that many data points, but I remember when I brought the bike home I put my hand on the top of the windshield (in the fully raised position) and noise diminished considerably, so I installed this guy you see in the picture over the winter. For $20 its worth it just to see, and I'm happy to report that it worked for me. Its now quiet as you please on the highway in terms of wind noise (now I'm just deafened by the motor, lol). Can't say I've experienced any buffeting, but occasionally I do get this feeling like my jacket is trying escape over my head. Anyone else?

By the way, I got mine here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle...oiler-Blade-/112637743889?hash=item1a39bb9311

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
I’m 6’0” with a 30 inch inseam, so a long torso. Stock screen sucks. Picked up a Pikes Peak screen used yesterday and I mostly like it. More wind force on me, but less buffeting and noise. And it looks pretty badass IMHO. White stripe doesn’t match anything but that’s ok.
It matches great if you were smart enough to get a white bike :grin2:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts