Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't ridden a monster yet, but am thinking about one. One question I have is about the amount of wind blast, with the 1100 particularly. I did have a sport classic, and the wind blast wasn't bad. I also had a MG Griso, however, and over about 55 mph it was almost unbearable; I've never had similar problems with any other bike, even those with relatively upright seating. I'm not looking to go 100 mph all day, but I'd like something that's not a problem at say 80 mph for a couple of hours.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I haven't ridden a monster yet, but am thinking about one. One question I have is about the amount of wind blast, with the 1100 particularly. I did have a sport classic, and the wind blast wasn't bad. I also had a MG Griso, however, and over about 55 mph it was almost unbearable; I've never had similar problems with any other bike, even those with relatively upright seating. I'm not looking to go 100 mph all day, but I'd like something that's not a problem at say 80 mph for a couple of hours.
This may be subjective, but.... I have a Monster with a slightly larger fairing (than the stock Monster one) and I find the wind blast to be a non-issue. Especially when I put ear-plugs. Typical highway speeds here are 150 km/hr + and I normally go an hour or so between breaks.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I haven't ridden a monster yet, but am thinking about one. One question I have is about the amount of wind blast, with the 1100 particularly. .
I've always had a preference for naked scoots. I find my 1100 S to be about average in regard to wind blast. Anything much over 100 mph gets a tad
blowy but not unbearable. That tiny little fly screen actually lessens buffeting at my helmet level.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's not that bad

I'm at about 500 miles on a new monster 1100, and the wind blast was a concern before I bought it as well. I toke a test ride before I purchased and made sure to crank it up to 80mph on the freeway. I was surprised that the wind was not that bad. (this is with the flyscreen). You do notice it once you get past 80mph, but tucking in slightly helps.
One interesting thing that I have discovered is that at 80mph+ the wind shoots right up the zipper vents on my arms and chest and right into helmet. Now that gets annoying. But the weather is nice enough that I've switched over to my breathable summer jacket (no vents) and it's not an issue...

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have a zero gravity touring wind screen on my S4RS. I can ride all day at 80mph with no issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
The little included fly screen actually moves a significant amount of air, you can "tuck" behind it, but hey, I guess it is all subjective. I also find that wearing ear plugs lessen the mental effect that the wind has on you it is a weird phenomenon.

Has anyone seen/have the aftermarket wind screen that Ducati offers through their performance catalog?

·
Registered
94 Posts
The Griso has wide handlebars, forcing you into a "sail" position. That's why the bad experience at high speeds. Though beautiful in form and in sound, the Grizo is NOT intended to be a serious long distance/high speed mount, it excels as a boulevard cruizer and a backroad bomber.

The monster has low, narrow bars and a more body-forward riding position. This permits it to work surprisingly well as a long distance/high speed mount. As mentioned above, the taller screen works wonders. Ducati really has done their homework on these bikes - they ought-to, they're the bread-and-butter of the company.

The new Monsters, though stylistically controversial among this crowd, are a huge step forward in all-day riding comfort.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Up to 80, no wind blast. 130+, serious wind blast
Agree. Yesterday was the first time I brought it up to 200kmh. Up to about 150kmh, it felt reasonably. Above that, especially once you get to about 200kmh, my 1100 felt like it was trying to blow me away! Lol. Btw, pass 150kmh, my front started feeling quite light. Anyone echo that experience?

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Agree. Yesterday was the first time I brought it up to 200kmh. Up to about 150kmh, it felt reasonably. Above that, especially once you get to about 200kmh, my 1100 felt like it was trying to blow me away! Lol. Btw, pass 150kmh, my front started feeling quite light. Anyone echo that experience?
I took mine ('08 S4R) up to 220, constant for about 10 minutes, following a Porche crossing the Ijsselmeer (long road across water north of Amsterdam).

There was a mild cross-wind. I find that everything was quite stable up to 200-210, then mild buffetting starts. I think the mickey-mouse mirrors I still have are causing some of this.

Can't say that I felt any instability, other than the wind-buffetting.

Still lots of torque and additional speed:eek:. Not near as fun as slower twisty roads in the Alps or Ardennes:cool:.

G

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got to ride one yesterday, and got it up to about 100 mph briefly, and happy to say it was fine, wind wise and handling wise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts