Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sounds like a silly question. I bought a 748 at an auction, but the ecu is from a 916. Other than checking bore and stroke, is there any way to tell from looking at the outside of the engine if it is a 916?

I don't know why I keep buying these damn things. I should stick to what I know.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
The Weber-Marelli IAW 1.6M ECU was used on the 748, 916 Biposto, 916 Senna and ST2 so it doesn't mean you have a 916 motor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It is a 1.6m and the engine is definitely a 750. I found the thread, one of the guys on the MV forum sent me the link, showing how to read the engine code.

Definitely a 2000 750.

Noting special.

However, the termignoni slip ons and the mid pipe are considerably fatter than what are on my 98 78 or the 998 Bostrom. The od of the pipes is somewhere around 1.980" vs 1.780" (50mm vs 45mm)

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
If it does have the 50mm midpipe, those things are gold.

·
Registered
377 Posts
This isn't final however the first 3 digits of the engine number will give the engine capacity of the cases. A 916 will read ZDM916xxxx and a 748 will read ZDM748xxxxx. This figure will only tell you what the engine started life as - quite possibly it has been extensively modified since.

Unfortunately opening the engine is the only effective way of measuring the bore and stroke. You can measure the stroke via the spark plug hole though.

Quite frankly a 916 ECU will over fuel a 748 quite heavily but if it runs well I wouldn't get too excited - look at the spark plugs are they clean or heavily sooted?

Andrew...
It sounds like a silly question. I bought a 748 at an auction, but the ecu is from a 916. Other than checking bore and stroke, is there any way to tell from looking at the outside of the engine if it is a 916?

I don't know why I keep buying these damn things. I should stick to what I know.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
You could measure the capacity of a cylinder with liquid . I.E. bottom d.c. and measure how much goes in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought I recognized the bike. I got the title from the salvage company in the mail today.

I owned it about a year ago and sold it to guy in Mass. He must have put the 50mm exhaust on it, binned it, and I bought from the auction.

I strongly doubt he made any changes to the engine.

My intention was to part it out anyway. The 50mm midpipe and Termis will go nicely on the 998.

Are the header pipes different for the 50mm exhaust or are they the same?

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
I thought I recognized the bike. I got the title from the salvage company in the mail today.

I owned it about a year ago and sold it to guy in Mass. He must have put the 50mm exhaust on it, binned it, and I bought from the auction.

I strongly doubt he made any changes to the engine.

My intention was to part it out anyway. The 50mm midpipe and Termis will go nicely on the 998.

That shit's a boomerang, not a motorcycle.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts

I think you'll find the exhaust won't fit a 998, Desmoquattro 748/916/996 share exhaust components but Testastretta 998 is different.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Quite frankly a 916 ECU will over fuel a 748 quite heavily
The ECUs are interchangeable. It is the eprom chip that determines the fuel/air ratios, so.....if it has a 916 ECU and a 748 eprom, it will be fine. I have no idea why they would have put those stickers on the ECUs unless they assembled and sealed them at the factory before they went on the bikes. Doing this would let them match the eprom (not the ECU) to the bike it was going in. Interestingly, a '99 ST4 engine that I picked up with the wiring harness and ECU had "ST2 944" on the ECU but it had a FBF ST4 916 eprom in it. Then, it turns out that the computer on my wife's '98 ST2 had "ST4 916" on the sticker, but it had a stock ST2 eprom in the bike. While troubleshooting the wife's ST2, I eventually swapped the two ECUs, made sure that the ST2 eprom was in the ST2, and it's been fine. IIRC, the same computer is in my 2002 748, also, so if I wanted to swap that ECU, I just would have to change out the eprom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts