Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Would You Trade Up for an Upgraded SC?

• I Own a Sport1000 and WOULD trade up.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • I Own a Sport1000 and WOULD NOT trade up.

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • I Own a GT1000 and WOULD trade up.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I Own a GT1000 and WOULD NOT trade up.

Votes: 11 26.2%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's say Ducati did offer upgraded SportClassics. Both a GT1000 and a Sport1000 with fully adjustable Showa front end and shocks, the newer, larger, 1100 DS motor and higher grade components . Your trade would go for market value ($6 - $8K) and the new bikes were, say, $12K (all USD). Would you or would you not 'trade up?'

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
After all the suspension mods I've already made I wouldn't trade for the mere benefit of an 1100 motor.

If I hadn't already put ohlins on it I would probably do a trade.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Needless to say it would mess with my mind and I would think hard about it. BUT, in comparison, (and obviously mileage doesn't come into play), except for the rear shocks and radial master cylinders, I have the bike exactly where I want it, so aside from the bigger engine a new bike would have less to offer... and I can go big bore for cheaper than the price difference between my used 07 and a new SC. If I changed bikes I would need to swap back my wheels, breaks, forks, and all sort of small bling which would take a lot of time (=$$, I'm not a mechanic...) I've also gone through the tank recall, fuel line recall, and now I'm going through the valve guide recall, so I think I can now ride in peace.

the way I look at it is: a frame is a frame, unless it's compromised, I can always tweak my bike to make it run and look perfect. A new one wouldn't necessarily give me more peace of mind.

I would be more in the market for an 848 as a second bike to tinker with a tame 4 valve engine and take it to the track...

The real question is: if they improve the SC line, will they rally more customers for it. People who already have an SC are already in the bag, some of them would trade up, some wouldn't, but the point for Ducati to go down that road would be to enlist more customers than they already have. But it could also be competition to the monster buyers.

hard to say... :think:

·
Registered
309 Posts
A factor in the question is perhaps the state of tune of the 1100 engine.

Isn't the DS 1000 engine in the SportClassic line a little restricted? - for instance compared to the same engine the Supersport.

Some people might go for an 1100 SC with the same intake etc., but there would probably be a few more converts if the 1100 was also tuned to Supersport-equivalent levels. That would be, what, 98 HP out of the 1100 engine?

·
Registered
702 Posts
The bike (07 GT) is near perfect now, suspension/handling and aesthetic. This winter I'll spend the time to get the power I want. I plan to keep her forever, and the only other option I'd love to have is full-fairing. I am in the market for another bike or two, looking for the right bobber to appear, probably build a light-weight cafe.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why not put the $6k in your current bike and have a ride that's not a factory cookie-cutter and capable of smoking the new one? Just sayin. Some people will always grabbed the newest thing and some people just upgrade what they have for a few years and then move on with a sale-rinse-repeat. If I was in the market for a NEW Duc .. then yes, I would buy the new factory tricked out one for the same money as the old one ... but trading in an old one when I can do the same mods for less/same money? Why bother.

BTW - 1000s owner here .. and I would like to have an extra 50 HP that my insurance company seems to think I already have. :think:

·
Registered
517 Posts
After getting a set of fully ajustable TIN showas, adding the WASP steering damper, the O2 manipulator, the CRG mirrors, and the frame sliders... I wouldn't trade my bike for a newer one.
It's running great on the track. And it's biposto, which is really nice to be able to go on rides on the road every now and then ...
My favorite part of riding on the track is cornering, and i'm not a big fan of going fast on straight aways... Don't get me wrong. More power is nicer to have, but I'm not ready for a bigger engine yet...
My vote is to keep the Sport 1000 Bip! I love it!!

~k

·
Registered
128 Posts
Since I'm one of those that hasn't upgraded the suspension and wheels, yes I would trade up for more horsepower, better suspension and a tank that kept its shape. As long as it still had the drop dead looks of the current Sport 1000.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I already have Showa forks on my bike and a set of Brembo wheels waiting to go on, plus the Termis and some bling so I wouldn't really gain anything by upgrading at this point.

It would be nice to have a fuel tank that doesn't warp though. :alien:

Debby

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Let's say Ducati did offer upgraded SportClassics. Both a GT1000 and a Sport1000 with fully adjustable Showa front end and shocks, the newer, larger, 1100 DS motor and higher grade components . Your trade would go for market value ($6 - $8K) and the new bikes were, say, $12K (all USD). Would you or would you not 'trade up?'
Given the SCs currently run from 11.5 to 13k, I don't see how Ducati could offer them spec'd as above for 12k, but even if they did I'd stick with my nearly entirely stock bike. I enjoy my bike so much more than anything I've owned in the past and doubt I'm an advanced enough rider to appreciate those upgrades. But who knows, if I ever got the opportunity to ride a GT tricked out like that I might be tempted:rolleyes:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Given the SCs currently run from 11.5 to 13k, I don't see how Ducati could offer them spec'd as above for 12k, but even if they did I'd stick with my nearly entirely stock bike.
It could happen, and for logistic reasons. It is reasonable to assume that the SportClassic line are high-markup bikes - the motor is old, the frame is simple, and there's not a lot of parts on it!

So therefore, if Ducati wanted to finish off their stock of DS 1000 motors (for instance), stop production of those engine blocks and move their factory to 1100-and-newer only, they might be able to offload all those DS 1000 parts / motors / stuff by speccing better suspension components in the Sport Classic line, lowering the margin while the price would stay the same, and do some very convenient reduction of part stocks in a year or so by selling the very final production year of the Sport Classic line in a big squirt of sales.

If motorcycle manufacturing is at all like electronics manufacturing, that is, where the factory is very much geared towards what is in production at the moment, and a narrower selection of stuff means a more efficient factory.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It could happen, and for logistic reasons. It is reasonable to assume that the SportClassic line are high-markup bikes - the motor is old, the frame is simple, and there's not a lot of parts on it!

So therefore, if Ducati wanted to finish off their stock of DS 1000 motors (for instance), stop production of those engine blocks and move their factory to 1100-and-newer only, they might be able to offload all those DS 1000 parts / motors / stuff by speccing better suspension components in the Sport Classic line, lowering the margin while the price would stay the same, and do some very convenient reduction of part stocks in a year or so by selling the very final production year of the Sport Classic line in a big squirt of sales.

If motorcycle manufacturing is at all like electronics manufacturing, that is, where the factory is very much geared towards what is in production at the moment, and a narrower selection of stuff means a more efficient factory.

krilli - You make a plausible case for a $12k up-spec'd SC. I just noticed that the Monster 1100 is $12K, yet has better suspension, wheels, brakes, the 1100 engine, and is a good bit lighter than the SCs. That would suggest a pretty high markup on the SCs alright. Also, when I bought my used '07 this spring, there were several brand new '08 GTs in my area that could be had for $10K which also points to their being marked up more than some other bikes.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I already have Showa forks on my bikeset, plus the Termis and some bling so I wouldn't really gain anything by upgrading at this point.

It would be nice to have a fuel tank that doesn't warp though. :alien:

Debby
Same with me…

Concerning the tank warp… why don't you move to Europe?

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
The idea of an upgraded "Sport Classic SS" is a good one - I think Ducati could effectively market this concept, leveraging the SS performance heritage, and perhaps address some of the less than positive characteristics (that we here have spent a heck of a lot of money to address).

Honestly, as noted above, a lot of the upgraded parts could come from existing bikes (Showa forks from the Monsters, brakes from throughout the line-up, wheels left over from the 999/749, etc.). That would represent a cost-effective means to accomplishing a significant upgrade in thne Sport Classic line-up. They don't need to throw Ohlins at the bikes, but just take advantage of the parts they likely already have in-house.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
geospencer said:
I might trade to get a new warranty and metal tank. :D
+1

Those are the only reasons why I might consider trading up. My Sport is pretty well sorted by now with Ohlins all around (this includes WASP-TMSD), Termi 2-1, asymmetric swing arm and dry clutch.

Hard to beat that package :D

RonB

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've already done most of the mods I want - marchesini wheels, 4 pot brembo's, fully adjustable showa front legs, lightened flywheel, termi's, (Wasp PUK on order).

Anything else I might want to do is going to cost me less than the $6k difference at this point in time, so no benefit in trading up.

Cheers,

Brett

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's funny to read all the responses and then look at the poll it would appear to me that Ducati should of done this before building the SC but in reality to get Ducati to build a bike that had Ohlins, light rims, ect ect it would cost us here in AUS fxxkin squilans, so for me to be able to buy a standard bike and do the little add on here and there is a much more viable proposition. so a trade is out of the question,for me anyway :)
Vale...

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
After all I spent getting this bike how I want it - no way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts