Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this has been discussed before or is prohibited I apologize. Thought it would be a great idea to be able to count on members in other states/countries to check out bikes local to them for a fee, trade, or out of sheer kindness towards a fellow member. I'm sure it's obvious this will cut down on scams, but more importantly, with so many people buying bikes long distance, will lessen bad purchases. With that, I can check out any bikes local to NYC for free on the weekends, obviously with no responsibility or accuracy of vehicle functionality on my part.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
If this has been discussed before or is prohibited I apologize. Thought it would be a great idea to be able to count on members in other states/countries to check out bikes local to them for a fee, trade, or out of sheer kindness towards a fellow member. I'm sure it's obvious this will cut down on scams, but more importantly, with so many people buying bikes long distance, will lessen bad purchases. With that, I can check out any bikes local to NYC for free on the weekends, obviously with no responsibility or accuracy of vehicle functionality on my part.
This gives me a good business proposition idea...

Also, it is indeed frequently done by members here in the forum. Ive never had to ask anybody but Ive seen others offer themselves and others looking for help. People here are nice... sometimes ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Feel free to count me in for the Portland/Metro Oregon area. I am VERY new to motorcycles, however I have a lot of experience with performance cars (mechanically and driving), both new and old and would certainly be willing to act as a first line of defense.

Could even bring the camera and/or go-pro for some video of it running.

Would be cool to develop some sort of location Matrix we can put online so people can see if there is anyone within the reasonable area, and then be able to PM that member asking if they could look at the bike.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I always thought this would be a good service for a dealership to offer.

Bike check over for a fee (kind of like a home inspection), inventory and title/swap for a fee. Help with shipping.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I always thought this would be a good service for a dealership to offer.

Bike check over for a fee (kind of like a home inspection), inventory and title/swap for a fee. Help with shipping.
We've done that for a few customers.

Check out the bike. Take pictures of areas of concern. Video walk around. Hold the bike and assist in shipping. Add some aftermarket parts while it is waiting for shipper...:)

I think a lot of dealerships will do a pre-purchase inspection. Some may not have the room to leave it there for shipping though.

-M

·
Señor Member
8,417 Posts
Last year DT996 and I delivered two bikes from the west coast and Arizona to the ECM for frens on here. Checking out a bike prospect would be something I'd help do. Or a hot chick you meet on line.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
I'd be more than happy to do that for the Chattanooga area, especially if it involves test rides! :D

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I've checked out a few bikes for members on other forums. If it's a nice day and in the area, I have no problem scoping out a bike for someone. Give's me an excuse to go for a ride, and check out a cool bike.....and maybe test ride it.:D

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm willing to help out any way I can in Chicagoland. I have local shops as well that I can refer to for inspections and such...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Count me in for the Montreal area.

The only issue is how do you send a case of beer through the mail? 'Round these parts that's the standard fee for helping out a fellow rider. Twofour minimum if it includes any mechanical work. :D

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm in for the L.A/O.C area..

Have helped out a fellow member who purchased a 999 Fila Edition- Photo's of concerned areas and looked into a bit of background for that bike.

PM or email me at : [email protected] and ill check her out for ya

·
A 748 Fanatic
3,155 Posts
Delaware and eastern shore of Maryland

I'd be glad to look at a bike in the area for someone from a distance.

I've often seen machines a distance away that I was interested in, but did not want to go and look but with todays scams you must look at a bike in person to ensure it is there and that your dealing with the owner who's names on the title.

Of course the inspection should share no responsibility for hidden problems and people need understand that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is great, keep the locations coming. Maybe someone should make this a sticky or even better, put a bbcode collaborative map into the forum so people that click on "Yes, I can check out a bike" during registration will automatically update a map with pins for these people, using their location. Or just a simple map that everyone can edit.

Yes, hence the last sentence in the op. :)
I'd be glad to look at a bike in the area for someone from a distance.

I've often seen machines a distance away that I was interested in, but did not want to go and look but with todays scams you must look at a bike in person to ensure it is there and that your dealing with the owner who's names on the title.

Of course the inspection should share no responsibility for hidden problems and people need understand that.

·
comrade moderator
27,412 Posts
I would hazard a guess that most members here would check out a local bike for sale for another member if he/she asked.
That's one of the reasons we put locations in our profiles (we DO fill out our profiles, don't we?). I can't imagine we'd need a sign up list and a map to do that.

Furthermore, I do not feel it's wise to broadcast your exact location on a map to be viewed on the internet by absolutely everybody...including people who aren't members of this fine forum and who's intentions may not be as honorable.

Scott said it better than I ever could in the forum rules:

Keep some things to yourself: Treat all posts you place in this forum as PUBLIC information. Anything you put in a post is potentially there for the entire internet to see. Home addresses, phone numbers, or other personal information is better left to a private email and not posted on the group. Would you walk down the street of a major city yelling out your phone number, home address, and how many toys you have parked in the garage with the key most likely in the ignition? Think about it.

*edit* This is my opinion and my opinion only. This is not a statement of position held by Ducati.MS, it's sponsors or vendors or Vertical Scope, Inc. Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited by law, offer open to licensed drivers only...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Should have mentioned that one neds to be logged into google, gmail, etc...

I tried editing your map but it will not allow me to do so, I'm loocated on Line Road outside of Delmar Delaware
Three things Chuck:
1. No one said anything about exact addresses. I don't think members need to be told/reminded not to publicize their private information.
2. So, how would I go about finding members in Atlanta, GA to ask for help?
3. Yes, there are lots of members who don't have the time or patience and willingness to do so, and I respect that. Do you think it would be efficient to go knocking on every userid for a cup of help?

I would hazard a guess that most members here would check out a local bike for sale for another member if he/she asked.
That's one of the reasons we put locations in our profiles (we DO fill out our profiles, don't we?). I can't imagine we'd need a sign up list and a map to do that.

Furthermore, I do not feel it's wise to broadcast your exact location on a map to be viewed on the internet by absolutely everybody...including people who aren't members of this fine forum and who's intentions may not be as honorable.

Scott said it better than I ever could in the forum rules:

Keep some things to yourself: Treat all posts you place in this forum as PUBLIC information. Anything you put in a post is potentially there for the entire internet to see. Home addresses, phone numbers, or other personal information is better left to a private email and not posted on the group. Would you walk down the street of a major city yelling out your phone number, home address, and how many toys you have parked in the garage with the key most likely in the ignition? Think about it.

*edit* This is my opinion and my opinion only. This is not a statement of position held by Ducati.MS, it's sponsors or vendors or Vertical Scope, Inc. Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited by law, offer open to licensed drivers only...

·
Temporary greeter
23,089 Posts
Three things Chuck:
1. No one said anything about exact addresses. I don't think members need to be told/reminded not to publicize their private information.
2. So, how would I go about finding members in Atlanta, GA to ask for help?
3. Yes, there are lots of members who don't have the time or patience and willingness to do so, and I respect that. Do you think it would be efficient to go knocking on every userid for a cup of help?
I can help.

1. You have 2 people above entering their location in google maps
2. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/16-regional-discussions/
3. See answer #2

1 - 20 of 27 Posts