Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 999 there since July 8th for repairs after minor crash, slid on gravel, dropped bike, damage to fairings, pegs, brake lever, throttle, mirror.

Bike is still not done, Al the dealer says he is still waiting for parts.

Know parts take a while but is this the dealer or Ducati or both? Al seems like a great guy but this getting ridiculous.

Any others have experience with this dealer for service?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hello redalfa

It has been my experience that parts take a loooong time to arrive from the country shaped like a boot. You also had the month-long holiday to contend with in August (poor Italians...) and even one part being back-ordered could hold up the whole repair job. I have worked here at a local dealer and my experience there told me they:

1. want the bike out, if only so they don't have to push it around/walk around it all day

2. Want the customer to have it back to put more miles on it/enjoy it.

3. Most importantly, they want the money for the repair job.

I don't have any experience with your particular dealer, but all things being equal, and in general, they want the bike out of the shop. Do a search of related posts, I'm sure this has been talked to death on this forum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. Al however is about the straightest shooter you will find out there. He has been dealing with Duc's longer than just about well, probably 97% of us. Not that in any way justfies your horrendous delay, but just to say he's probably seen and experienced it all.

What parts are you waiting for? Can any of us help? Maybe get yourself some scratch and dents to get on the road (although we've got snow already!) while Italy takes it's sweet time. I have previously waited 6 months for parts directly from Italy. Since that experience I have learned to scour all the bigger dealers first, and of course the internet. Order from Italy last resort. Have you talked to any other dealers to check their stock?

hth

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey rocha, all good advice, at this point with winter just about here, I will just stick it out a bit longer. Talked to Al about two weeks ago and said he expected parts any day and I should have my bike in a few days, all fairings etc were repaired, but still missing parts......guess I am just frustrated, and was hoping people would confirm that Al is OK......also want to handle a differently if there ever is a next time.
thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been to that dealership (to pick up some non-Ducati parts). The owner seems like a very nice guy. Don't have any experience with their service dept. though. I'm looking at getting my first Ducati next spring, but I'm hesitant about purchasing from them. Not a very proffesional looking dealership. The showroom is about the size of my two car garage. Did you purchase from there? If so, what was your experience like?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He is their service dept.....no I bought used, referred by a friend of mine who did buy new this year after riding my 999. He did have a few issues which I believe Al resolved eventually but it took a while. I will pm my friend and ask him to respond to you directly so you can hear first hand.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Stinger95: I purchased a new Ducati from Al this year. As everyone has said he is a nice guy, but doesn't inform customers about realistic wait times for his products and services. I've only had the first service done so can't really comment on repairs.

I've learned a lot owning the bike. If I had the chance to do it again, I'd purchase something different.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I gotta agree with Archer, I have bought two new bikes while waiting for the Duc in the shop.

The Italian mistress was a blast when I had her, but she has been gone too long and I have found the love elsewhere......and I don't want to go through it again.

I will try to sell the Duc when I get her back if I don't get killed on the resale.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
archer said:
I've learned a lot owning the bike. If I had the chance to do it again, I'd purchase something different.

Are there things in particular that you don't like about the bike? How are the ergonomics as a non-track around town bike. Uncomfortable? Can you ride it for more than a half hour without your arms killing you? Right now I'm riding an '05 Honda CBR600F4i. Looking for a comparison if possible.

·
Registered
73 Posts
No, I really like the bike. The handing and performance is everything that you read about. One area that really impressed me about the bike is the way it slips through wind and turbulence. The airflow around the windshield and my helmet is very clean. If I had to pick a negative it would be the mirrors, they look great, but you can't see much out of them.

I'm just pi$$ed because of the value lost due to the new model coming out. Part of my decision to purchase the S model was for resale value. The other factor is the long wait for parts. I think Ducati owes more to their customers. I don't have any immediate plans on selling, just hope that I don't need to make repairs.

I set my 999 up with Cycle cat risers. The ergo's are very comfortable for me. My previous bike was a 600 RR. Id say the setup would be close to your F4I.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AL is the best after all

I just got my bike back after 4 months, and I gotta say Al did an excellent job, bike is perfect. He also saved me money from by having the fairings all painted and repaired instead of replaced and they came out excellent. So the money saved easily ate up the deductible from the insurance carrier payment, and with extra money left over I had him put on custom clutch cover, pressure plate, and termignoni 1/2 exhaust kit with ECu and air filters, do some routine maintenance and the whole bill was only $600 over the insurance co., estimate for the collision repairs/

I rode the bike through the country for 1.5 hours home and it was pure joy, I love my bike more than ever once again, and with the new pipes she is sweeter than ever.

·
Registered
62 Posts
williamsville ducati dealer

In many, ways I couldn't agree more with all of the previous comments. At the age of 56, at my wife's insistance, I decided to fulfill a life long dream in purchasing a Ducati. I was considering a 999S but since I already own a 92 Buell RS1200 and a 96 BMW R1100RSL, I decided that what I really wanted was a lightweight bike that would be perfect to slice through the curves of the upstate NY (read Canadian border town) roads where I live. After a lot of reading, I decided to look for a 749S. I called dealers all over NY and Pennsylvania for quotes and on a lark called AL who is about 5 hours from where I live. Al told me, "if you come to see me, I make you an offer you can't refuse". Since I was driving my stepson to a concert in Buffalo, I figured, why not. I went to see Al and he certainly impresses as a no nonsense kind of guy. After a brief discussion between my wife and Al regarding her 620ie Monster and my sincerity to purchase, he came over to me and made me an offer which had me immediately pulling out my checkbook to make a down payment. In stock parts (filters, etc.) usually come next day. However, if not in stock (or if not released yet-like the 749 repair manual) the wait is frustrating. The bike is great and the absence of repair/maintenance information is frustrating but Al is always willing to take a call and give you information about repair, maintenance, etc. I've also used the exploded views I've downloaded from Ducati.com to better understand how everything fits and comes apart. The biggest drawback to Ducati ownership, from my perspective, is the lack of a US based parts distribution network. To really satisfy Ducati customers they really should develop a network on par with the Japanese companies and BMW.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a follow up to my previous posts, Al has called me several times to make sure I am happy with the repairs,and to let him know if anything needed adjustment or whatever. He really cares about his customers and his work, I highly recommend Al and Williamsville Cycles as the place to go to buy and service your ducati.

Reactions: lucienpsmith

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
WOW this just showed up on my "Recommended reading" and I was about to respond that I didn't think they were even in business any more since Al died... when I realized it was posted in 2006!

CURSE YOU RECOMMENDED READING!!

Al was a crotchety old geezer but he knew Ducati's inside and out.

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
WOW this just showed up on my "Recommended reading" and I was about to respond that I didn't think they were even in business any more since Al died... when I realized it was posted in 2006!

CURSE YOU RECOMMENDED READING!!

Al was a crotchety old geezer but he knew Ducati's inside and out.
Yes Dave, and guess how I got here. Something is out of whack on this site, I get posts from a dozen years ago also. In terms of relevance I have a shirt from there and I think that’s where my sister-in-law’s 620 Multi was purchased.

·
Registered
161 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts