Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CBT Imports, the U.S. distributor for Staintune says their pipes "won't work" on my '07 ST3s with an o2 sensor. My guess is that they say this in the same way that some manufacturers say "for offroad use only", in an effort to steer around emissions laws.

I did a forum search but didn't find an answer. My question is: Is the exhaust slip joint/pivot joint the same size on my '07 as the one on earlier ST3 or ST2 models?

Thanks

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
CBT Imports, the U.S. distributor for Staintune says their pipes "won't work" on my '07 ST3s with an o2 sensor. My guess is that they say this in the same way that some manufacturers say "for offroad use only", in an effort to steer around emissions laws.

I did a forum search but didn't find an answer. My question is: Is the exhaust slip joint/pivot joint the same size on my '07 as the one on earlier ST3 or ST2 models?

Thanks
The ST3 after '06 has cats in the pipes. The pipes are physically the same outside, but are very different inside, and via engine management. You would need to change out the ECU to an open loop system and then use a PC III to properly map them if you wanted to use different pipes. I have heard that the DP ECU for the ST3 is also closed loop. Can anyone confirm?

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize this. You're getting ahead of me here! :)

Right now all I'm trying to do is verify that the Staintunes will physically fit my bike, to verify that they are even an option open to me. I will address the rideability (or lack thereof) issue next.

I probably should have asked a second question too. Maybe easier to answer.
Would anyone on here with say an '05 or so ST3 be willing to take a pair of calipers and measure the outside diameter of the slip joint/pivot joint on their bike?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
You need to measure the internal diameter of the pipes where they join the crossover. This is important because the US has different regulations to Aust. I think you will find a 45mm measurement. If so you need the st2/4 pipes listed in the Staintune listing. If not you will need the later listing which is 50mm.

I have to admit the whole closed loop thing defies my understanding.

·
Super Moderator
8,220 Posts
Closed and Open loop are 2 diffrent kinds of fuelmanagement systems.
Here is a quick and easy read of the diffrence
http://www.bikeboy.org/open_closed_loop_efi.html
In short..
Open loop is when the ECU takes no input from any OS sensor.
Closed loop alters your fueling depending on what your exhaust is spewing out. This requires an O2 sensor or "lambda". Narrow or wideband.

As for getting rid of the ST3´s O2 sensor, I´m guessing that Tom at hypertrick could simply turn that off if you wanted it done. Costs less then buying a new ECU.
www.hypertrick.net

//amullo

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
The ST3 after '06 has cats in the pipes. The pipes are physically the same outside, but are very different inside, and via engine management. You would need to change out the ECU to an open loop system and then use a PC III to properly map them if you wanted to use different pipes. I have heard that the DP ECU for the ST3 is also closed loop. Can anyone confirm?
No, the DP ECU eliminates the O2 sensor and comes with a plug to block off the bung in the pipe. All the 3's use the same size pipe. The 4's use a larger diameter slip joint. I'm not sure about the 2's.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
No, the DP ECU eliminates the O2 sensor and comes with a plug to block off the bung in the pipe. All the 3's use the same size pipe. The 4's use a larger diameter slip joint. I'm not sure about the 2's.
Do yourself a favour, & read previous threads, to establish a few facts, before interupeting facts with your un-informed lack of information.

Craig

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know whether this will answer all your questions, but this is the link to the Staintune catalogue page.

http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts/ducati/Ducati_ST3_2006_model_DU_MS_ST4_3&2.htm

They say that ST2, ST4 & 2006 ST3 are the same.

I just put some calipers across the slip joint on my Staintune fitted ST2 & they measure 48mm OD.

Hope this helps,

Craig
Oh baby! It sure does help.

The first place I checked was the Staintune site, which, as you stated, says they're all the same. :) This is good! and makes sense even.

Then I went to CBT Imports, our U.S. distributor, and they say I'm s.o.l. the Staintunes "won't work" on my '07 with a lambda probe. :( This is bad, and I think sounds questionable especially in light of what the manufacturer says.

I measure 47.5 mm across the o.d. of the slip joint on my stock pipe. Very close to the 48 mm you got. Could be just the difference between wall thickness of our two pipes, or tighter vs. looser on the caliper measurement.

Thanks Craig.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Oh baby! It sure does help.

The first place I checked was the Staintune site, which, as you stated, says they're all the same. :) This is good! and makes sense even.

Then I went to CBT Imports, our U.S. distributor, and they say I'm s.o.l. the Staintunes "won't work" on my '07 with a lambda probe. :( This is bad, and I think sounds questionable especially in light of what the manufacturer says.

I measure 47.5 mm across the o.d. of the slip joint on my stock pipe. Very close to the 48 mm you got. Could be just the difference between wall thickness of our two pipes, or tighter vs. looser on the caliper measurement.

Thanks Craig.
You jogged my memory a bit. I recall that there was one combination of pipes that needed to be enlarged at the flange to fit. But for the life of me I can't remember where I read that. Maybe LT's site? Possibly it was for later pipes being back fitted to a ST4s. I can't find the reference now.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
You jogged my memory a bit. I recall that there was one combination of pipes that needed to be enlarged at the flange to fit. But for the life of me I can't remember where I read that. Maybe LT's site? Possibly it was for later pipes being back fitted to a ST4s. I can't find the reference now.
Your memory is OK, it is the ST4S that needs flanges enlarged to take ST4,ST3, ST2 exhausts I think.

Craig

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
it is the ST4S that needs flanges enlarged to take ST4,ST3, ST2 exhausts I think.

Craig
I have an 01 ST4 and an 04 ST4s.
The pipes off either fit the other no problems.
My Standard ST4 pipes are made by Arrow, and my standard ST4s pipes are made by Remus. I also have a lovely set of Staintunes that fit both bikes easily.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
I have an 01 ST4 and an 04 ST4s.
The pipes off either fit the other no problems.
My Standard ST4 pipes are made by Arrow, and my standard ST4s pipes are made by Remus. I also have a lovely set of Staintunes that fit both bikes easily.
I stand corrected, so what are the differences in the ST range of exhausts, they can't all be the same can they?

Craig

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
so what are the differences in the ST range of exhausts, they can't all be the same can they?

Craig
All I can say is that the part number for the Staintunes is the same for all the ST2, ST3, ST4 and ST4s bikes as previously mentioned - it doesn't mention the ST3s, but I would guess they are the same fitment too..
Use arrow at bottom - http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts/ducati/Ducati_ST2.htm
It's good to see so many of us have these wonderful pipes, I think they sound much better than Termi's and are a whole lot better made too.
I dont know about Spencersdad's 3s, but my 4s was dyno'd at 114 bhp with standard cans, and then at 119 bhp with the Staineys - no need for ECU/Powercommander change, and no rough running anywhere in the rev range.
Fabulous pipes.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Right now all I'm trying to do is verify that the Staintunes will physically fit my bike, to verify that they are even an option open to me.
Is there no-one within a reasonable distance of you with an ST2,3,4 or 4s that could meet you and try a pipe from their bike to establish the fitment ?? or even a motorcycle breakers yard with a pipe in stock you could try ??

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Hi Mark,

So the only difference I can tell with the Staintunes, is that on my ST2 I have round silencers, & on the later models they go to oval type silencers, but I could have sworn there was a difference in outlet sizes for the larger 996 engine? Going on memory from past posts that is.

Craig

PS. I have a great set up so I don't really give a fuck, but I like to help where I can:D

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Hi Mark,

So the only difference I can tell with the Staintunes, is that on my ST2 I have round silencers, & on the later models they go to oval type silencers, but I could have sworn there was a difference in outlet sizes for the larger 996 engine? Going on memory from past posts that is.

Craig

PS. I have a great set up so I don't really give a fuck, but I like to help where I can:D
Craig yes there was a time when I was convinced that there were differences too, it's only having bought the 4s quite recently that I've found the fitment on it to be exactly the same as my 4.
Incidentally, I bought the pipes off ebay, and they came off the 4s. The seller lives around 13 miles from me, and when I went to collect the pipes, I saw the 4s that they came off, and ended up buying that too a few weeks later.
So the pipes came home with me, went straight onto the ST4, then came off it a few weeks later and went back onto the ST4s where they'd come from !!

Mark.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
OK, I have a brand new set of pipes, original Ducati ones that came off my 2002 ST2, before the STAINTUNES were fitted by the dealer.
Does anyone want to buy them for a couple of hundred Aussie dollars, plus post or freight?

Craig

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I would assume that Staintune is not recomending the exhaust because it does not have the sensor bung welded on the pipe therfore it is not a correct fit for a stock bike. You could buy a sensor bung (they sell these things somewhere) and weld it in or go to a open loop ECU. Other that that the bikes I have seen (closed loop) have the same pipe junctions as my 05 ST3 (open loop)

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Do yourself a favour, & read previous threads, to establish a few facts, before interupeting facts with your un-informed lack of information.

Craig
Regarding which part? Basically, being an un-informed and lacking individual I'm always wanting to improve myself. Could you be more specific please?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts