Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have and love my 03 ST4s but was just wondering if Ducati plans to make a new ST with the latest technology and 1098 or 1198 motor?:)

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Let the new debate begin , Think you will find this particular wish discussed at length in earlier posts.
Short answer is "Unlikley" as Ducati appear to have committed themselves in other directions but.......there has been rumours in the UK press of a V4 but dont believe this will float many ST owner's boats , including mine.

J

·
0 Posts
I have and love my 03 ST4s but was just wondering if Ducati plans to make a new ST with the latest technology and 1098 or 1198 motor?:)
NO,its gone,but i did see a pic of a 2010 cruiser called vyper coming out,it looks sweet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is a replacment for the Multistrada coming named Strada Aperta with a retuned 1109 super-bike motor with styling resemblance to the superbike and streetfighter so says MotorCyclist magazine

·
Registered
455 Posts
No, the ST line is dead. Last ST3s-'07; last ST4s-'05. Sad. But...I hear they are working secretly on a Strada-hyper-streetfighter transformer bike. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, the ST line is dead. Last ST3s-'07; last ST4s-'05. Sad. But...I hear they are working secretly on a Strada-hyper-streetfighter transformer bike. :rolleyes:
I talked to our local dealer and they have said that they 80% sure of a new 2010 St after they had a their last dealer meeting. Also that the Multi was going to become more of a multi purpose bike with better off road capabilities.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I talked to our local dealer and they have said that they 80% sure of a new 2010 St after they had a their last dealer meeting. Also that the Multi was going to become more of a multi purpose bike with better off road capabilities.
No teasing allowed!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
If there is a new 2010 ST coming out then Ducati has done one hell of a job keeping it under wraps and must want to shock the Ducatisti world. You would think there would be some word of it by now since there are already spy shots of the Strada Aperta or whatever they call it and if that is the bike that is suppose to have more off-road capabilities I'm skeptical. I don't really care if it does or deosn't but from the spy shots floatin around it looks more along the line of the Triumph Tiger. It may have the clearence to run some fire roads and such but doesn't look like a dual sport or anything.

I am eagerly anticipating its arrival however because I had a Hypo before and loved it but it just didn't have the capability I wanted/needed. If they come out with something of a revamped Multi that has a 1098 motor/wind protection and saddlebags I would be severely tempted assuming it doesn't look like a multi......:D

If they are coming out with a new ST that would also be on my short list. Come on Ducati build that 1198 powered ST.......

As for the vyper thing I hope not because thats just wrong for a Ducati.....:eek:

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Can you ask them to not bless the new model with the 'UGLY STICK', that would be a good start. And we want headlights that light the road, not fashion items.

Craig

·
Registered
688 Posts
I would like to see something in an ST that required less maintanance, but at the same time possessing around 140 horsepower. Ideally, for me, that would be a bevel-drive 1200cc motor with two easily adjustable spring valves per cylinder, fuel injected, liquid cooled. A cross between the old bevel drives and the current 1198 superbike. High-lift single cam per cylinder, around 12 to one compression. Comfortable as my ST3.

·
2,650 Posts
I would like to see something in an ST that required less maintanance, but at the same time possessing around 140 horsepower. Ideally, for me, that would be a bevel-drive 1200cc motor with two easily adjustable spring valves per cylinder, fuel injected, liquid cooled. A cross between the old bevel drives and the current 1198 superbike. High-lift single cam per cylinder, around 12 to one compression. Comfortable as my ST3.
Looking at what BMW have been able to achieve with their twins it seems unlikely to get the level of performance you want alongwith the simplicity and reliablity of the engine configuration you describe.
As the BMW boxer engine has been enlarged it has become increasingly difficult to keep smooth and even they have resorted to increased complexity and it is widely commented that they are close to the limit for this type of engine if reliability is a factor.
In ancase the Ducati engine is not that much more demanding than any other engine but is owned by more enthusiastic riders so a 1098 would prove just dandy......
I am surprised that some of the richer and creative guys on this forum have not tried to merge a cosmetically damaged 1098 with the bodywork of an ST
Can't be that hard , can it ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
As I remember Ducati promised 3 new models a year for 3 years. The last year of that promise is 2010. We know about the Multistrada replacement. What are the other 2?:think:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Give me the 1098 motor with 7500 mile service intervals and I would be happy. 140-150 ponies weighing in at about 500lbs would be about right....:D

·
2,650 Posts
As I remember Ducati promised 3 new models a year for 3 years. The last year of that promise is 2010. We know about the Multistrada replacement. What are the other 2?:think:
One is the new "Cruiser" that has been seen out and about.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Since Ducati doesn't seem interested...

I'm assembling my own St to go with my sT.
Should be on the dyno in a week or two.
OK, so it's not a 1098, but it should be a rip-snorter 996 anyway!
And I think it will be quite practical and comfortable.
Pic's soon.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I heard that this year is the last year for the Multi, and the replacement is going be more like a Triumph Tiger, with a 1098 motor (probably that Strada Aperta model). No word of any ST replacement though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts