Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put a set of Marchesini forged aluminum rims on my ST2 later this year. The question is, will the sprocket that fits my stock Brembo 3 spoke rim fit to the new Marchesini aluminum rim?

The reason a want to know is that I'm planing on applying the lighter ST4s swingarm to my ST2 and I'm going to cut the old chain off and replace it with a strong, new X-ring type, DID ZVM2 gold (outer plates) chain with a beautiful gold anodized "Stealth" rear sprocket (steel tooth ring on an alloy sprocket body). With gold Marchesini 10 spoke (5Y) rims, it should look real sweet when I'm done!

Since $$$ don't grow on trees, I'll be doing this in stages;

1st. The bike will be going in for belts this year + add Helibars, lightweight flywheel, a new STM alloy clutch, Ferodo Sintergrip ST brake pads and some other new bling.

2nd. Add the ST4s aluminum swingarm with CF hugger, new chain and sprockets + a new Ohlins shock, new front fork springs with RaceTech Gold Valves (NCRick...I'll be calling you somewhat soon).

3rd New Marchesini gold (anodized? maybe?) 10 spoke forged aluminum rims which is why I need to know if the sprocket will transfer over to the new rim.

The Misses and I are planing to buy our first new home next year which is why I kinda have to wrap thing up with the bike ($$$ wise) this year because next year will be LEAN LIVING!!!

As always, thanks for any advice/input

Thomas

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have come through for me again Tom! Thank you per usual, good to know I can rely on an ole' New Englander to give me the answer that I seek. LOL.

Now my quest becomes; can I find a Stealth brand sprocket to fit the Marchesini rear rim/cush drive. Hmmmmm? I'l have to investigate on that one as I really like the design and looks of the Stealth sprocket and think it would look great mounted to a gold rim.

Although this bike is not an ST, this will be the basic look I'll have; gold rim, stealth sprocket, gold chain, aluminum swingarm, CF hugger, Ohlins ect.

Cheers,

Thomas

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've got a vaguely related question (well, it's about sprockets anyway....)

has anyone changed the sprocket teeth ratio on their ST3? It would be nice to have a little smoother power delivery when moving very slow in traffic (I know, I know, but sometimes it's just unavoidable!). Would increasing the teeth on the front sprocket help, and what affect does this have on power delivery at higher speeds (well, up to around 200-220 km/h).

thanks

Doc

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doc,

Generally most people go down one tooth in the front from 15 to 14 which does not require a new chain for added length. Some say it is not wise to drop the front to a smaller sprocket diameter as an increase in chain/swingarm contact will occur. I have done this and have not noticed any problems with a 14T countershaft sprocket on my ST2. If you can spring for a new chain and the more costly rear sprocket (comparative that is), then I say add teeth to the rear sprocket which is what I'm about to do and I'll replace the front back to the 15T.

A general rule of thumb is that 1T less in the front equals 3T up in the rear. By gearing your ST this way you will notice more smoothness or usability down low in 1st gear in traffic situations but you will lose a little off the top during highway speeds (not a problem if your not always driving over 100mph that is.) You will actually get to use that 6th gear you payed for! ;)

I have no experience with the gearing on a ST3 but on the ST2 going down to a 14 tooth front sprocket made drivability a whole lot nicer and I know that the ST4s guys change their gearing almost immediately after purchase. click the thumbnail for a nice gearing chart which should help. Best of luck!

Thomas

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Tom e-mail or pm NCRick at CogentDynamics about the sprocket. He deals in sprockets, wheels and suspension. He is a supporting vender of this site and owns a garage full of Ducs. http://www.motocd.com/

Thats gonna be a sweet ST2.

·
Registered
319 Posts
There are times that going to a 14 front can cause some chain wear and noise issues. In some cases depending on the size of the rear sprocket you can even get a howling sound from the chain.

If you have raised your ride height and your rear sprocket is relatively small (37,38,39) your chain more than likely will hit the chain guide on the swingarm. If your rear sprocket is 40 and up and your ride height is not raised by much you might be OK.

If you have a 42 rear sprocket, it is an exact multiple of the 14 front by a factor of three. When I had that combination on my old ST4, the howling sound caused by the first harmonic vibration was really loud at some specific RPMs. To a point that I ended up changing my sprocket back to 15. I later switched to 41 rear and 14 front without any noticeable noise.

Also smaller diameter sprocket on the front can cause faster chain wear. The chain has to go around a smaller diameter and the smaller diameter sprocket has to turn higher number of turns to keep up the same speed as the 15 sprocket. I do not think that is too much of issue if you like the ratio that the 14 front gives you.

-Fariborz

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
Fariborz said:
If you have a 42 rear sprocket, it is an exact multiple of the 14 front by a factor of three. When I had that combination on my old ST4, the howling sound caused by the first harmonic vibration was really loud at some specific RPMs.
That's why I always use 43T sprockets, as it's a relative prime of both 14 and 15. I like a 14T front on the ST2, and a 15T front on the SS. No chain-gaurd wear on the ST2, despite having a very jacked-up ride height, but I also have a Metmachex swingarm, which has a bit more room for a smaller front sprocket than either the OEM steel or aluminum swingarms (and is stiffer and lighter, too)

Tom

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BostonST2 said:
Thomas,
Where did you get your 14T? Im local to you and was wondering if you got it locally or internet. Im interested in changing mine.

Thanks
Hey BostonST2,

I picked my 14T front sprocket up at my local Duc dealer (Eastern Cycles Ducati in Beverly, MA) for about $37. You can find them almost anywhere though.

The stock gearing for my '01 ST2 is a 15T front and 42T rear. The 14T front made a world of difference for the better IMHO. Again, my ST2 has not had any adverse effect by using the 14T front and I know the practice of applying a 14T is quite common.

The only reason I'm going back to the 15T front is that I'll be changing the rear sprocket with a new chain when I switch over to the Marchesini rims and I want the larger diameter front sprocket for clearance and wear purposes. The equivalent to the 14/42 sprocket ratio (3.00) is 15/45 (3.00).

The only concern I have is that I have read that combining even and odd tooth numbers will provide longer chain life, and the combinations I'm using or considering using are; even/even and odd/odd combinations. I can't remember the exact reason why having even and odd numbers provides extended chain life...something to do with the links engaging with a different tooth location each time around I think??? :think:

Enjoy the 14T front as I think you're really going to like the difference!

Thomas

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
butch said:
Tom e-mail or pm NCRick at CogentDynamics about the sprocket. He deals in sprockets, wheels and suspension. He is a supporting vender of this site and owns a garage full of Ducs. http://www.motocd.com/ Thats gonna be a sweet ST2.
Thanks for the kind words Butch!

Actually, I'll be contacting Rick soon for my suspension needs (front and rear) as he has offered some very helpful advise for my ST. I have already given my chain and sprocket business elsewhere as other providers have helped my out a bit with my application needs. I try to give my business to those that have been helpful answering all my questions (which are usually abundant) and have good prices to boot! NCRick has been just that, very helpful with steering me in the right direction and he has quoted me a very fair price for an Ohlins shock. :D

Thomas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.